Starting out - Finding a local doc

Hello All. I have seen postings about finding a doctor and that travel should be a second priority. My issue is I am really stretching it to even get a transplant done and can't travel for consults. I would be willing to do so for a 1 shot deal (for the op). That said I need to find some good local folks. I have consults set up with a consult office of Dr. Craig Ziering's Ziering Medical in Salt Lake City which operates in Las Vegas (Dr. Angela Phipps ) and am waiting to hear from "Paulus" which appears to be a group that does all kinds of stuff (weaddhair.com). Sorry if this is the wrong place to post. I have never done anything like this before and am really having to push myself to even do something about my hair. (Age 33, bald in crown, thin on top, slightly receding but not too bad as I always had a high hairline.)

02_26_08.jpg.3d8d0ca4b7e82ffa8204bbc60e4e5b16.jpg

Hello All. I have seen postings about finding a doctor and that travel should be a second priority. My issue is I am really stretching it to even get a transplant done and can't travel for consults. I would be willing to do so for a 1 shot deal (for the op). That said I need to find some good local folks. I have consults set up with a consult office of Dr. Craig Ziering's Ziering Medical in Salt Lake City which operates in Las Vegas (Dr. Angela Phipps ) and am waiting to hear from "Paulus" which appears to be a group that does all kinds of stuff (weaddhair.com). Sorry if this is the wrong place to post. I have never done anything like this before and am really having to push myself to even do something about my hair. (Age 33, bald in crown, thin on top, slightly receding but not too bad as I always had a high hairline.)

So I re-read my post and asked myself, "Do I even have a question in there?" :P I am wondering if anyone knows of a good place to start local to Salt Lake and about the two places I referenced in my previous post. I am also looking for feedback on what you think I will be getting recommended by docs. Thanks.

First and foremost, be incredibly cautious in who you choose for your surgery; if you can't travel for consults, by all means, do several online consults w/ some elite, proven clinics (Feller, H&W, Shapiro, e.g.) Check out the "recommended" and "coalition" docs compiled on this website -- they are a great start to begin your research.

You require a lotta grafts, in my opinion, given how bald your crown is alone; the crown is notorious, fyi, for being something of a "black hole" for grafts, and it requires a relatively high amount as compared to the hairline.

Both places that you mentioned looks incredibly suspect to me, particularly the latter (weaddhair.com). If you still do decide to do consults with them, inquire to them about the getting clear: immediate post-op, pre-op, and fully grown out examples of their work, particularly of people who received work similiar to what you may be getting.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I'd check with this guy in Vegas, as he appears to do world class work and offers a 12-month same as cash financing plan. And, he's recommended by this site.

http://needhair.bannerview.com/financing/

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Priv8,

If you are looking for a first-rate hair transplant surgeon in Las Vegas, consider consulting with Dr. Williams who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

To see Pat's (our online hair transplant community Publisher) detailed review and visitation of Dr. William's clinic, click here.

Best wishes,

Bill

All,

Thanks for the input. I just called Dr. William's office and am thinking about just driving down there. I got a little choked up on the phone about this whole thing. How embarassing is that. Anyway, thanks for the advise. It means a lot.

Priv8,

No need to apologize nor justify your emotions. Hair loss can be devastating and you now have a place to speak and listen to a very knowledgeable group of guys/gals.

You are among an honest and open group that have all been thru the hard yards of this process. I would feel confident in the opportunity you have with Dr. Williams but ultimately it is up to you and your gut to determine if you truly feel confident and trusting in his hands

Best of Luck, bud.

Priv8,

It's not embarrassing. Hair loss can be very emotional and can impact our level of confidence and how we feel about ourselves. I've been down that road before. I felt miserable. I wouldn't even go out without a hat....8 years I wore a hat out socially without exception. The few times where wearing a hat was inappropriate or socially unacceptable, I simply didn't invite certain people (mostly girls I found attractive) because I was too ashamed to have them see me without a hat. Having other men see me without a hat was bad enough, but pretty girls? I felt real insecure with how I looked and couldn't shake the feeling no matter how much I wanted to.

You are amongst friends here. I hope you'll use this forum to allow our members to support and encourage you in your hair restoration journey by posting your experience and pictures.

Best wishes,

Bill

My feeling is that you can certainly go to local doctor, but you should NOT go to him simply because he is local. Use the resources at your disposal ??“ this site being a biggie ??“ and get lots of opinions from the network docs.

If you need to travel for the work, do it. That is, IF the right doc for you is not in your back yard. Travel is not that expensive and it is very important that you "get it right the first time."

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

You're not gonna want to hear this but with your level of balding its likely you wont be complete in one session. Future work is likely. If you want to do this you need to have a plan for future sessions or make sure before you proceed that the one session will give you adequate coverage for what your looking for.

If I were you I would NOT rush into anything and wait until at least early summer before doing anything. Please research the subject and make sure you know fully what kind of future investment this decision will require.

I also would make sure you can trust your choice in doctors, and double that if they dont belong to the coalition. Coaltion doctors have been "vetted" and have been researched. Others who are not, make sure you know their history.

Sometimes peoples expectations are not in line with reality (and I'm not directing that at you personally) so know what you're getting into.

Good luck.

priv,

I'm being honest; you are going to want a mega-seesion if you have the donor for it (4000+ grafts) to really be satisfied and make a cosmetic differance; make sure the doc has the ability to do a large session; the healing and wating is a long time and pschologically very hard; I would hate for you to go through with a small session and be disappointed; as wylie said, you will probably need/want another session anyway, but go for the largest session to cover the frontal 1/3 at the first shot; H&W does mega-sessions; however, looking at the pics, not sure if you have good donor or not to have a large session; anything under 3000 grafts I feel you will be disappointed with the results.

Hey All,

I really appreciate the encouragement and support. You are all stand up folks. To that end wise as well. I just got of the phone with a lady from Dr. William's office in Vegas. I sent them many photos the night before last and she filled me in on what was said. She of course said photos are photos and I am welcome to come and have him take a real look.

1. She said he could do the front and that would likely take about 2000 grafts, but I probably had enough donor hair for that and could have a good result.

2. The Crown of my head would have to be done in two separate follow on procedures and would likely take as many if not more grafts and could still be thin.

3. I would have to commit to taking Propecia indefinitely of course to keep it all around.

At the end of all of that she said he has real reservations that my goal was really aggressive and that I just may not have enough donor hair. I also had told them I didn't want to do it if it only looked "okay" or would later fell out again.

I am weighing my options, but you guys were right about it being pretty serious and extensive. Those pictures I took were really hard to look at. I'm still thinking things over, but even if I still wanted to go ahead we are talking way more bank and time then I had been thinking. Thanks for being honest. I am also thankful for the recommendation to work with him as he his assistant were open and honest too.

Anyway, thanks again guys. I'll let you know if I do anything. (#1 clippers sound good right now...)

Priv8