Planning for HT. Need some help.

Hi. I'm Planning on going to the Seager Hair Transplant Centre some time this summer for HT.

Here's a bit on me and my condition...

I'm 24. I have a widow's peak that has an inch of receded space on both sides.

It's been like that since I was seventeen.

I calculated the number of grafts and hair needed for what I want using a hair restoration graft calculator that I found in this forum.

# of grafts: 455

# of hairs: 591

Now, I'm totally new to all this, so I would like to know what the cost would be for what I want and how long the process would be from the start of HT to the end of the recovery time for my condition.

If it helps to answer my questions, my hair is straight, rather thick and has quite an amount of volume.

I like to have my hair pretty long and I use hairsprays and styling grit to help make my bangs look full where it's receded.

Still, I'm always conscious of my widow's peak. Especially when I'm out in the wind or rain.

Anyway, any help would be great. icon_smile.gif

Hi. I'm Planning on going to the Seager Hair Transplant Centre some time this summer for HT.

Here's a bit on me and my condition...

I calculated the number of grafts and hair needed for what I want using a hair restoration graft calculator that I found in this forum.

Now, I'm totally new to all this, so I would like to know what the cost would be for what I want and how long the process would be from the start of HT to the end of the recovery time for my condition.

If it helps to answer my questions, my hair is straight, rather thick and has quite an amount of volume.

I like to have my hair pretty long and I use hairsprays and styling grit to help make my bangs look full where it's receded.

Still, I'm always conscious of my widow's peak. Especially when I'm out in the wind or rain.

Anyway, any help would be great. icon_smile.gif

Hello Blue Ninja, There is a ton of things you need to know before doing anything. I don't have enough time to go through it all with you right now. But hand tight and don't do anything until you get a real education here.Start looking through old posts and threads.This is real serious stuff.

"The first cut is the deepest." Cat Stevens

It is real serious stuff, as Mahair stated. Don't hesitate to read, read, read, and then read some more. Under the "Find" button, there is a keyword search function that allows you to search old posts. There is a plethora of information through patient experiences and testimonials on the forums.

Additionally, the graft calculator, while an extremely useful tool, does not take the place of a real, in-person consultation so don't take those numbers as absolute. It is a guide that is there to give you an approximate.

Welcome to the forums and good luck.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• Administrators

Blue Ninja,

With only very mild recession in your temples I would suggest holding off on surgery. But doing a free consult with Dr. Seager is worth doing. He and his clinic are also tops.

He may suggest that you try using propecia to stop your hair loss and get you a prescription.

It is important for you to only go to the very best if you do decide to do surgery. The last thing you want to do is mess up your hairline and or have shock fall out after going to a subpare clinic.

Best wishes, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Originally posted by Blue Ninja:

I went to Dr. Seager and it was the best decision of my life. I would go back to him before I went to any other HT doc. So I think you picked the best to talk to. Having said that, from what you describe, and from what I know, he will send you on your way, maybe with a prescription for Proscar. You have to plan for the long term. Suppose you transplanted into your temples and you were happy for a couple of years. Then imagine your hairline really starts to recede - then what? You have those temples that aren't going to recede with the rest of your hair and then you would be screwed. You're probably not going to like to hear this but you're too young at this point, and besides, take it from someone who knows, NOBODY cares about your widow's peak. You sound like you have a full head of hair, so go out and enjoy it.

Hi Blue Ninja. Like Spoon, I went to the Seager Center and received a fantastic result from Dr. Simmonds. The best thing is to visit with them, so you can consult regarding your expectations, develop a plan together and get all your questions answered for your personal needs and situation. That is what the Center is known for - personal attention that produces the best results for the individual based on your hair tyoe etc. Thye are professional artists when it comes to hair restoration. All the best.

BN-

Do consults with as many docs as you can find. You don't have to commit to any of them until you are ready!!

All docs should include a diagnosis of your current state of hair loss. They should use some kind of magnification to look at the hair at scalp level and show you what it looks like and explain how they feel it is going to progress. They should also offer some kind of future planning as far as more HT's and mdicinal treatments. They should also talk to you in depth about the risk of shock loss.

Then ask them about how they perform their HT's. What kind of incisions, what kind of instruments, who does the incisions, and who does the actual placement. The doc should be doing the incisions themself. If the doc has staff members doing the placing ask - what their qulifications are & who trained them & how long they have been doing it. Staffers should be at least Mdeical Assistants. VERY IMPORTANT!!!!! Ask to see their former patient before & after pics

Ask if you can see a procedure take place (most docs don't have a problem with this). And lastly- try to find docs in your area that are recommended on THIS FORUM!!! Do consider traveling for your HT! icon_smile.gif

Shiny Side Up!!

I have consulted with two of the top docs recommended on this site. Neither of them used a magnification device to look at my hair. They both examined it carefully with the naked eye. I think an experienced doc can make a good determination of your condition without magnification. I'm not sure it would add any value.

I think it is extremely valuable to consult with at least two docs. This allows you to compare and contrast there views. I feel much more enlightened now.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Gorpy -

well I guess you could be right on. I did 3 consults and two of them did use magnification in their consults. It provides a good look at what state you hair is in. For instance, when I saw my crown at 50x magnified, I could see the future/potential loss area. I could also see the rows following that were fine and decided to get a little work done in the crown. I guess not every doctor is going to use a magnifier of any sort.

BlueNinja - do many consults! Sorry for the confusion bro. I thought it was a standard to magnify the area. OOPS icon_eek.gif

NOW I AM THE ONE WHO IS ENLIGHTENED!

Shiny Side Up!!

Thanks for that info tymman. That brings up an interesting point. In my case, I can see a thinning typical MPB pattern on my head. So it is fairly obvious what the future will look like. But, in the case of a person without detectable loss with the naked eye, a magnification device could shed (no pun intended) some light on the future for some areas of the head.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

If you only need 591 FU's then you should wait a few years and give your age it would be wise. Having less than 1000 FU's is not benefical nor is it strategic long term. I would say that maybe 5 years would give you a good idea where you are heading.