What happens if a FU is split?

its-only-hair

I have been reading some of the threads where people have mentioned clinics split FU's. I can see if you have only 500 FU and most are 3's and 4's splitting them, but if you have 2000 FU HT why split them? And what happens to the split FU's? If they were 4's before and cut into 2's, do they eventually grow into 4's again? Do the 2 split FU's grow?

This is all new to me but I find it interesting so that's why I'm asking. Thanks in advance.

I have been reading some of the threads where people have mentioned clinics split FU's. I can see if you have only 500 FU and most are 3's and 4's splitting them, but if you have 2000 FU HT why split them? And what happens to the split FU's? If they were 4's before and cut into 2's, do they eventually grow into 4's again? Do the 2 split FU's grow?

This is all new to me but I find it interesting so that's why I'm asking. Thanks in advance.

In my opinion there should only be 2 reasons to split FU's

1. There is more of a need for single FU for refinement of hairline and other precision work.

2*. To provide more coverage to an area and patient has specified only wanting single hairs.

* Everything should be fully explained to patient as to what the procedure is and what they are paying for.

The split FU do not multiply or the surgeons would be splitting all of them.

Yes the split FU do grow but precision has to take place as not to damage the FU in the splitting process. This is very critical and requires well trained techs and good equipment.

Some of the debate over splitting FU's is a matter of possible deception if indeed it is being done. For example, a strip of donor hair that harvests 2000 Fu could easily become 2500 if you doubled 500 FU by splitting 4's into 2's. This is a no no if a clinic would then charge person for 2500 FU. Possibly debatable but most will argue unethical.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Thanks NervousNelly,

I never heard of splitting FU until this week so it shows how much I know. I would guess the hairline and temple area would take up a lot of single FU for a really natural look.

As far as certain clinics being unethical, if the clinic has a history of being unethical in other areas like shady marketing, lousy work, over promising and under performing then I suppose the same clinics would possibly try this. Same as in any other business. But if the clinic has a good record, past clients have been happy, has a good reputation I see no reason why they would do something intentionally unethical. JMHO.

Naruto,

Here is a quote from Jotronic, (he's employed at H&W) on another thread.

"We do not subdivide naturally occuring follicular units any more than other clinics. I say it like this because ALL good clinics will subdivide SOME grafts on SOME patients. This is not a standard practice and it in no way is a means to pump up the graft counts. Usually, if and when this is done, it is to make singles for a hairline if the patient has an abnormally low amount of naturally occuring singles and we need more. I repeat, all clinics do this from time to time and if they say otherwise then you need to question that clinic."

So, only if the patient has an abnormally low amount of naturally occuring singles and they need more.

There has been a lenthy discussion about this topic on another post http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=145010

Please read and make sure to read Jotronics response as he is an employee of H&W.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90