Thinking of 2ND H/T June 2009

Abby

It'll be 15 months next time round. Im actually thinking of going into the same area again (strip) and hopefully qualify for the same amount again (3000 grafts + ). Im now nearly 4 months post and have noticed a sudden sprouting of hairs. Just going to wait and see what the final results are, if good then ill be going back to the same DR or I might even have a H/T in the UK a lot more expensive I beleive but it'll cut out all the travelling etc..

Originally posted by Imissme:

Wow - 3000, nice! You must have a great donor area. Best of luck!

Imissme,

From reading your posts, I've gathered you had some of the "old technology" transplants. I was suprised too this year to learn that single transplant sessions of up to 5,000 grafts can be done. Also, I think the average person has a donor area of about 7000 grafts. Some more, some a little less.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Abby-

In general it's good to wait a minimum of 10 mos to a year, and this is mostly to allow for relaxation of the donor area back to (or close to) it's original laxity (which can be helped along by frequent scalp massages in that area..). Also, recall that, in some patients, new hair can still be coming in at 10 mos- 13 mos or more (less common), and you wouldn't want to be placing grafts over follicles that are "hidden" (not sprouted yet) under the scalp from the first procedure.

Also, as for the # of grafts you'll get in the subsequent procedures, a rule of thumb is that you will get about 8-10% less than the original procedure, as subsequent procedures involve removal of the previous scar....

Best to you-

Sincerely,

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

Good reputable surgeon will suggest around yr to 18months.

The not-so reputable will try to say you can come back in 2-3 months??? BEWARE if they say this as they are just looking for $$$ and not your interests. Like Dr.Carmen said, in addition to regrowth w/1st HT which in same cases can last beyond a year, donor area is key with trama, healing, and scarring.

If your surgeon is telling you shorter, then look for another surgeon! (just my opinion)

SMOOTHY

Shapiro

Propecia/Rogaine xtra

MSM/Saw Palmetto

Nioxin Shampoo

Zrii 3oz daily