question about growth??

Hey guys,

was just wondering if others had experienced the same thing I am right now. Had my midscalp to part of my crown done in late June, just been over 4 months and have seen excellent growth so far in the midscalp area. Towards the back where I had my HT though where the crown starts I am getting a lot of ingrown hairs and the hair has not really taken off yet. There is quite a few hairs I feel are at stubble length but not growing yet as well back there. Was just curious as to others who had had this area as well as the midscalp area transplanted what their experience is with this? thanks!!

Hey guys,

was just wondering if others had experienced the same thing I am right now. Had my midscalp to part of my crown done in late June, just been over 4 months and have seen excellent growth so far in the midscalp area. Towards the back where I had my HT though where the crown starts I am getting a lot of ingrown hairs and the hair has not really taken off yet. There is quite a few hairs I feel are at stubble length but not growing yet as well back there. Was just curious as to others who had had this area as well as the midscalp area transplanted what their experience is with this? thanks!!

tkerr22,

I personally have not had this experience, at least not yet, however, I know that most people's crown takes off much slower than the hairline to midscalp area. So what you are experiencing is perfectly normal. Ingrown hairs, as you know, indicates new growth starting to pop through. Short stubble hairs that are not growing should eventually grow. I've had a few hairs from my first and second post op though, oddly enough that stayed that stubble length and didn't grow...but that was only a couple out of thousands of grafts. The activity going on in your crown right now indicates to me that you will most likely have an explosion of growth over the next few weeks to months. Hang in there man...the wait is a hard one!

Bill

thanks Bill, ya I pretty much expect that and hope for that, but the reassurance is always nice! Your last HT looks amazing man! Haven't been on here much lately due to moving but man you're going to have a buttload of hair!! I guess it's just annoying to see a bunch of hair taking off and getting damn ingrown hairs and no growth towards the back as of yet. any suggestions to help in the speeding up of growth??

You're welcome tkerr22,

yes, it has been awhile since we spoke. Thanks for the compliments. It's glad to see you back! Where did you move to? remind me...who is your doc and how many grafts did you get? did you post pictures?

Yes, I understand the frustration for sure. the only thing that MIGHT speed up growth (though I don't think there is any scientific evidence that it dose) is MSM. You can buy it at a nutrition store. I've been using it since Day 1 post op. I used it for my second surgery too, but not my first. I don't know if it really made a difference or not. But it can't hurt...and it's not that expensive.

Other than that...it's all about patience. Don't look in the mirror every 2 minutes like me icon_wink.gif. Instead, take photos every month and compare them...that is the best way you will be able to notice changes.

Bill

good part is since it's in the back I don't really look every day, too damn hard,lol! I went to Dr. Alexander in Phoenix and recently moved back to the valley of the sun(beautiful 78 degree day today!) I had about 1700 grafts to the midscalp and part of the crown, you can see pics on my weblog. After this grows in complete I will have a small bald spot on my crown. My skin was too tight to fill in all the crown but maybe in a year or two I will get the rest of the crown done. But if I am left with a small bald spot and the rest is good and thick I will be happy rigght now( I know that damn hair greed will show it's ugly face though) I am mostly looking forward to the hair near the crown to kick in and grow well so I can comb it back and cover up the bald spot pretty good. Think I will go grab some more msm today. I used it for awhile but ran out.

Dude...I just checked out your pictures. Yes, I remember your pics now. You have come a tremendously long way!!! I can't even see a bald spot in the crown in the pics...I guess pics don't always tell the truth...but you aer looking good bro! Just wait for a few more months to kick in...it will be even better. Any chance of you taking some close up shots of the crown for a further look?

Bill

tkerr,

Crown is the slowest.........no doubt. I had some major crownwork done in February and did start seeing some growth fairly early but it has taken a long time for the majority of it to come along. I'm approaching 9 months and, if I remember correctly, had a second waive of growth in the crown around month 6 or 7.

MSM is the only thing I know which may speed up growth. You've really come a long way and it looks good. Give it a few more months and hopefully your crownwork will start filling in.

Good luck...

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hey Bank!!!!!! Any new pics? It seems like only a short time ago that you were going in for your surgery. Time Flies!!!!!! Anyway hope your doing well and cannot wait to see your results!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks guys, appreciate all the feedback. In those pics I highlighted an area that had toppik on it. I have a spot a little larger than a Half dollar sized bald spot towards the back that I had no work done into. I am going to wait for the new growth to take off and get stronger and longer so I can comb it over this area. If I still don't feel good about it I will see in a year or so what my options are. For now I use a little bit of toppik to cover it.It's the top area of the crown that I had work done to that isn't taking off like the rest. But thanks to the reassurance of you guys I will wait a few more months before I get too frazzled over it. I can feel quite a bit of stubble towards the crown area so hopefully will see that growth soon. Got to say though that my midscalp is growing like mad now! I can comb it back and is getting really thick! Just want that last little bit towards the crown to join it.

tkerr-

Sounds like you're over the hump and things are starting to fill in. Crown does seem phenomenally slow so hang in there.

B- I'm hoping to post new pics sometime over the weekend. How 'bout you? Aren't you schedule for another 4000 or so sometime soon? What's the plan, brudda??

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.