Check out my mellon!

NervousNelly

Some of you may have read my previous threads. I had an HT 16 years ago and it is not the greatest job but not too bad considering the technology then. I do still have some native hair which helps conceal things. My journey to find a doc starts next week. I am seeing Dr. Tessler and then having consults with HW, and Shapiro. I will e-mail the previous 2 my pics to do an online consult to start with but do want to meet them in person 1st.

Just want some feedback from all of you guys as to what your thoughts are? Please comment on:

1. What you think of previous HT. (I know its "pluggy" but re: hairline high enough?, etc.

2. Does it look like the plugs will have to be removed?

3. Donor site ok?

4. How many FU for hairline and mid? This is my priority?

5. How many for Crown?

6. Any other comments/considerations welcome.

I am 38 and have been losing hair since 19 so slow progression. Family history of thin and receeding hair but not 6+.

BE NICE in comments thanks.(I know that my hairstyle has a hint of combover but it hides plugs. I know you are not docs but many of you are almost as knowledgeable. BTW the red on scalp is scab from minoxidol--causes bad itching in winter.

Pics may be seperate threads if we can't send all together.

DSC_0011a.jpg.08a5cd98a89e167cf5001500bac22a4f.jpg

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Hello N.N. first I dont think the removal of the plugs is nessesary your donor looks very nice also I would guess 3000-4000 would be perfect in a dence packed session. One pass, also the doctors you suggested are all very compedent of that amount in a very natural apperance you will have nothing to worry about I hope this helps,I went to Ron Shapiro 2000 fu.Good luck.

Nervous Nelly,

I think your previous work can be hidden with new work. What size were those plugs, I barely see them. If they bother you I would have then thinned a bit via FUE if your Doctor can do this type of work, total removal does not look necessary since they are far enough back.

Your donor look good but only your Doc can tell with close inspection of density and laxity.

You can stop being to nervous IMO! Your not in bad pre-HT shape at all.

Good Luck,

NoBuzz

Thanks guys for the feedback. Ofcourse because I was a moron 16 years ago and did essentially no research and just wanted hair, I don't have too many facts from HT. I estimate that the largest are 6-10 hairs and I think that in person you would see them better even though they are not terrible. I was fortunate. As stated earlier, I do still have some native hair and this helps. I want 2nd HT before more native hair is shed and the plugs are more visible.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Nervous,

No problem, my plugs are probably around the same size and I too was a moron in the early 1980's and got some. I had no idea what they would look like, just wanted hair like everyone else. Lucky for me, mine are high enough and not that many. I hd a second HT to cover them up with decent results but I still want to thin them out and get coverage on top.

NoBuzz

NN--- you know, I think you might have come out pretty lucky, because they do not look that bad.

Obviously, you need to address your hairline and core first, then the crown if possible.

I think you will be pleased by Dr. Shapiro or H&W, but I cannot comment on Dr. Tessler at this time (I am hoping to here from you about your experiences during your consult).

My only concern with you is the placement/width of your scar. Usually most surgeons excise the existing scar tissue with consecutive surgeries, but you may have to decide if you want all the scar tissue removed and a smaller session (2000-2500) or do a larger session 3000 to 4000 and go back for scar revision and a smaller touch up in the crown later.

Of course, I cannot make an accurate analysis of your donor region from the pics, but it may be an issue.

Anyway, I would recommend going to a doc who can provide you with the BEST hairline given your current situation, regardless of session size.

I would not recommend removing any of the plugs at this time, unless one or more of the Docs give a good reason.

I think with Dr. Shapiro, Hasson, or Wong you will be in good hands.

Anyway, just let me say that I am jealous that you have so much hair, but I think you will end up looking GREAT!!!!!

Later Buddy!!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

B Spot,

Great observation. This is why I posted pics instead of just waiting to hear from the docs themselves. I want to show up loaded with vital questions. The scar has been a concern of mine. I ofcourse do want it excised with the donor piece and I think that it is a little wider than a quality job should be. This will ofcourse limit the size of the new donor strip and therefore # of FU possible. Thanks for the great input.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Hi nervous,

Here are my answers to your questions...of course, they are just my opinion...I would consult some of the coalition docs:

1. From the pictures...previous HT doesn't look bad...maybe a little pluggy...but hard to tell

2. I wouldn't remove the plugs....most of the top HT docs would most likely just transplant around the plugs masking the appearance of plugginess, but still giving you the density you need.

3. Donor site looks pretty good from what I see...maybe not ultra thick...maybe about average

4. This is always a hairy question...becuse it's heavily dependent on your goals. However, I would recommend keeping the position of your hairline where it is so you can maximize density (unless you have your heartset on lowering it). But whatever you choose could change the amount of grafts you need. BUT, assuming you don't want to lower the hairline, I'd say a good 3000 should make a good difference in the top and mid section. If you can pull it off, I'd put another 2000 in the crown.

5. See number 4

6. I don't think I have any other comments right now...I'm tired and can't think clearly anymore...so hopefully I was coherent above icon_wink.gif

Bill

Thanks Bill. I have no desire to lower the hairline other than what the doc needs to inorder to hide the evidence of plugs. I'm sure this is very little because although it is hard to tell from photo, the previous doc did use singles in the front and there is some space between those and where the plugs actually start.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Hey NN,

My replies will probably be similar to the excellent advice you've already receive............I'll give you my prospective on your Q's:

1. What you think of previous HT. (I know its "pluggy" but re: hairline high enough?, etc.

A little tough to tell on the height of your hairline without a full frontal shot. As far as your former HT goes, you really look pretty good, especially for what was being produced during that time period. I'd really seek a qualified Doc's opinion on hairline placement as it is very important to have a natural framing of the face.

2. Does it look like the plugs will have to be removed?

No. I don't think a qualified surgeon will have any trouble placing grafts around it and making the end result look totally natural.

3. Donor site ok?

To me, your donor site looks pretty good. Actually, you seem to have a little "wave" to your hair which will serve you well toward aiding in the appearance of density.

4. How many FU for hairline and mid? This is my priority?

Purely guessing, mind you, as a Doc will be your real source of advice and provide the best guidence. It depends on what you want to acheive.........IMO, for the appearance of a full head of hair (which is likely within your reach), I'd say 2000 in the crown and a minimum of 3000-3500 in frontal 1/3 and midscalp. If you went with 2500 in the crown and 4000-4500 frontal 1/3 and midscalp I think you'd be a hairy best! icon_cool.gif Kind of depends on what the doc says with respect to donor availability.

5. How many for Crown?

See above

6. Any other comments/considerations welcome.

Assuming you have adequate donor supply, you're really in a pretty good position. Best of luck to you and let us know how the consults go!!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Originally posted by Bill:

Hairbank,

It's good to see that even when i was tired, our thoughts are aligned on this icon_wink.gif. Of course, that could mean one of two things. It could mean that you give GREAT solid advice, or it could mean that you were as tired as I was when I wrote it icon_biggrin.gif J/K

Bill

Bill -

LOL.......Probably a little of both icon_biggrin.gif !! Seldom can I add to what you provide, my friend. Pleasure postin' with ya' icon_wink.gif

HB

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.