2700 grafts with Dr. Keene

Gorpy

I just got back from my HT yesterday with Dr. Keene. I received 2700 grafts, all in the front half of my head. It was a long tedious day, but overall it was comfortable and pleasant. I think I was actually asleep during parts of the procedure.

The recipient area looks good. It looks densely packed. I think I'll get some good coverage from it. The hairline also looks like it's going to turn out great. Others have said it before, but I will repeat it ??“ Dr. Keene is extremely "hands on". She is there from start to finish. She makes the incisions, places most of the grafts and is very diligent. The day was long. It started at 8:30am with an anticeptic shampoo and pictures and by 9am Dr. Keene was drawing out my new hairline. After we both agreed on the hairline, we got started. By 6pm we were still going. Dr. Keene was meticulously placing more grafts in my hairline. She finished up around 6:30pm.

I now have to wait a while to see the results, but I honestly believe that to get a great hairline, a skilled Doctor must create it from start to finish, not the assistants. This is probably the most important part of the procedure. I swear Dr. Keene must have worked for at least 3 hours just on my hairline!

What's also a little surprising to me is that I wear my hair in the donar area fairly short. It's probably about 1 inch long back there ( kind of a standard man's haircut). This is the first day after my procedure and I literally cannot see any indication of it while looking at it from the rear. There are no gaps or undulations or any indication of it. I thought I would have to let my hair grow out a little more to hide it as it heals. I got home and told my son that there is a long incision in the back where they took the donar hair and he could not see it. This is a pleasant surprise.

I had the normal "jitters" before the procedure. I could hardly sleep the night before. Now that's is done with I am extremely happy that I went through with it.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

I just got back from my HT yesterday with Dr. Keene. I received 2700 grafts, all in the front half of my head. It was a long tedious day, but overall it was comfortable and pleasant. I think I was actually asleep during parts of the procedure.

The recipient area looks good. It looks densely packed. I think I'll get some good coverage from it. The hairline also looks like it's going to turn out great. Others have said it before, but I will repeat it ??“ Dr. Keene is extremely "hands on". She is there from start to finish. She makes the incisions, places most of the grafts and is very diligent. The day was long. It started at 8:30am with an anticeptic shampoo and pictures and by 9am Dr. Keene was drawing out my new hairline. After we both agreed on the hairline, we got started. By 6pm we were still going. Dr. Keene was meticulously placing more grafts in my hairline. She finished up around 6:30pm.

I now have to wait a while to see the results, but I honestly believe that to get a great hairline, a skilled Doctor must create it from start to finish, not the assistants. This is probably the most important part of the procedure. I swear Dr. Keene must have worked for at least 3 hours just on my hairline!

What's also a little surprising to me is that I wear my hair in the donar area fairly short. It's probably about 1 inch long back there ( kind of a standard man's haircut). This is the first day after my procedure and I literally cannot see any indication of it while looking at it from the rear. There are no gaps or undulations or any indication of it. I thought I would have to let my hair grow out a little more to hide it as it heals. I got home and told my son that there is a long incision in the back where they took the donar hair and he could not see it. This is a pleasant surprise.

I had the normal "jitters" before the procedure. I could hardly sleep the night before. Now that's is done with I am extremely happy that I went through with it.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Gorpy

Congratulations on what sounds like a very positive experience for you . . . Your testimony reinforces my main criterion for visiting Dr Keene in the first place: A 2,700 graft procedure makes for a very long day for any surgeon who, one would hope and expect, to be in attendance throughout the whole implant procedure (in your case and mine, probably in excess of 6-7 hours of dedicated concentration devoted almost entirely to graft placement).

Before chosing a surgeon I had noted that the vast majority of HT practitioners were male . . . and not doing a very good job in worldwide terms (if this network is anything to go by!) - and I chanced upon this study abstract, originally conducted by the University of Surrey in the UK. . .

"[between men and women] The only evidence for biological differences in intellectual ability indicates that women are generally better at tests of perceptual speed, memory, verbal ability, precision tasks and mathematical calculation while men are better at visual-spatial tasks (the ability to visualize and mentally manipulate two and three-dimensional figures), at ??target-directed motor skills such as guiding and intercepting projectiles', at so called ??disembedding' tests ( finding a hidden shape in a complex drawing ) and at mathematical reasoning. (Kimura, 1992)

. . . In terms of perceptual motor skills and completion of precision tasks the choice for me was clear . . . I needed a female to undertake the prolonged procedure. (There are many examples throughout modern history that show the ladies to be par excellence in this field - everything from embroidering colossal tapestries to turning out millions of tons of munitions and shipping throughout WW. I & II - all highly skilled, precision tasks) . . . It's not all bad news for the 'target directed motor skill' type guys I suppose . . . you don't get many female guitarists!

Sorleyboy

Thanks Sorleyboy. It was a positive experience. I've updated my photo album with a two day post op picture

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f...6060861/m/8491088831

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Day 3 post op and I noticed that the redness is just starting to fade a bit. I washed my hair for the first time last night (day 2) following the lather and dab and rinse with cup technique. It worked well. Don't think I've lost any follicles. Hurrah! The residual pain has subsided. I don't think I'll use any more pain pills, even though I still have plenty remaining. I have a little swelling in the forehead area. Nothing serious, but I'm icing regularly to help control that.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Gorpy

It's interesting that you should mention dispensing with pain pills etc. . . I binned mine after a couple of days post-op with Dr. Keene - and my swelling was also virtually non-existent. In fact the only routine that I needed to persevere with was the inexpensive W*lg***ns contact lens solution for graft cleaning that the clinic recommended (seemed to help primarily with relieving the 'tightness' sensation over the first week or so - beyond which a daily shampoo seemed to eliminate that anyway).

You mentioned that you'd seen little shedding so far (early days yet however) - but nonetheless can you imagine going ten weeks without losing any more than about 10-15% of the 2,600 grafts! (and that's a generous estimation of a barely noticable loss through washing or contact with pillows etc.) . . . I don't know whether it's a function of having just a fairly moderate graft density but the top and front of my head still feels like it has most of the short stubbly implants still firmly in place . . . whatever next I wonder? . . . will they eventually shed . . . or start growing?

I'll keep you posted . . . Sorleyboy

I know what you mean Sorleyboy. It's still early but my grafts appear to be happy in their new home and it looks like they have taken up permanent residence. We'll see.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Gorpy, Excellent looking hairline that you will be pleased with beyond your expectations. The next few months will seem to take a few years but it is well worth it. PLEASE keep posting photo's as you progress so that we can all see how it grows out. I think it looks like you got a outstanding job done and you will be very happy 8-10 months from now.

The worst part is waiting!!! Just be patient.

Happy growing!!!

Nashville Kat

Thanks Kat. I am very pleased with the way it looks. It is day 6 now and the redness is significantly fading. The transplant is still very visible (there's no hiding it), because all of the little hairs are still there. It looks like a 5 o'clock shadow on my head.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Originally posted by Gorpy:

Thanks Kat. I am very pleased with the way it looks. It is day 6 now and the redness is significantly fading. The transplant is still very visible (there's no hiding it), because all of the little hairs are still there. It looks like a 5 o'clock shadow on my head.

I read that the HT surgeon usually tries to negotiate a more moderate hairline than most men ask for in order to save donor hair - but it looks like you got the hairline every man wants. Did you have to do a lot of negotiating to get that fantastic hairline or was it something you both agreed on immediately? Did Dr Keene estimate how many donor grafts you have left if you want to have another procedure later on?

PB

I was kind of waiting for someone to bring that up. It's an interesting topic. I was initially going to go for a more conservative hairline. However, Dr. Keene actually convinced me after my first consultation to go for a hairline that would frame my face better. With her substantial experience, it was her opinion that it would be worthwhile to consider and would look better and more youthful. Other factors, I'm sure, included the fact that I'm 49, which makes my future hair loss much more predictable. I have a reasonably good donar supply in case I would need another procedure and I'm on Finasteride. I'm sure my facial and head structure was also taken into consideration. So, after thinking about it for several months, I decided to follow her advice and go with it. Believe me, I've spent a lot of time looking in the mirror between our initial consultation and the procedure. I've also noticed every male on TV and analyzed their hairlines.

The common thought is that everyone needs a mature hairline that will look "natural" as you age, as if having a reasonably youthful hairline is going to look "funny" or "weird" at age 70. Let me quickly name a few names of actors or famous people who are older than me (except George Clooney) who have absolutely great youthful hairlines (if some of these guys are wearing hair pieces I don't really care, because I can't tell and it still looks very good)

Kurt Russel

Micheal Douglas

Richard Gere

Harrison Ford (this guy is in his 60's. I don't hear anyone saying he looks weird)

Ronald Reagan

Bill Clinton

George Clooney

Pierce Brosnan

Don Johnson

90% of every elderly male actor on any soap opera

There are some other Doctors that obviously are in favor of a more youthful hairline if determining factors allow. One I've noticed is Dr. Alan Bauman of Florida. Look at his patient photos. I think they look great.

I think the bottom line is that it is not a hard and fast rule that one would always receive an "age appropriate" hairline. My advise would be to not get sucked immediately into that train of thought. A prospective patient should consult with the top Doctors and use their substantial experience to assist them in making that decision.

I'm not a doctor, so I made the decision to rely heavily on the experience of my doctor who has performed over a thousand transplants with great results and who has probably seen thousands more.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

I think I'll print out your 2 day post-op pics and take them with me when I go for my HT as an example of the hairline I want - well similar anyway, I suppose the shape of my head will be slightly different so an exact copy won't be right for me. Your new hairline is one of the best I've seen and I agree with you about going for the more youthful hairline. I mean yours isn't a straight line across the middle of your forehead or anything, it's going to look great and natural.

PB

Hey Gorpy, I have a couple questions for you concerning Dr. Keene: how was her manner/demeanor in person? Was she personable/ friendly/ standoffish? Did she spend what you felt was a reasonable amount of time evaluating you and the whole treatment plan? Basically did she give you overall "warm fuzzies" as the Dr. that you really really wanted to do the procedure?

Yes, very personable, friendly, but at the same time very professional (She's not going to sit around and chit-chat with you). I think most people would get a good feeling about her after a consultation.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

That's cool PB. The point is, there is still a lot of forehead there. It's not too low and not too high.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Sorleyboy, looks like I'm following the same pattern as you. I'm not shedding. I'm only 10 days out, and most of the small scabs have fallen off, but the hairs have remained. Not only that, they are growing! Really, I'm not kidding. Both my wife and I can see it.

Have you seen any shedding yet?

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Gorpy

I was just exchanging PM's with Kez this morning - discussing the self same thing. . . . and yes, I found grafts just kept on growing - but only for a couple of weeks, unfortunately!

Beyond that it seems that the follicle growth rate slows dramatically and goes into stasis with the vast majority of implants (~85-90%) remaining firmly in place, but without going into the shedding phase. Kez experienced this phenomena and he estimated that his HT went into suspended state for the best part of six months . . . and then slowly bloomed to maturity beyond that.

I have a bit of a theory about this inasmuch as both Kez and I had a moderate density of implants and I think that this has effectively minimised damage to the surrounding implant tissue, allowing them to maintain at least some 'life' and hindering the catagenic stage of the hair shedding phase. Another crucial factor I presume must be those surgeons who can work with the smallest recipient slit size - again minimising damage to blood capilliaries.

All things considered, I don't see that there is much advantage in failure to shed implanted hair shafts other than you can maintain at least some vestige of spiky fuzz while you are waiting for the healing process to go to completion and each hair to go back into the remainder of its alloted anagen 'growth' phase (hopefully in less time than Kez experienced . . . ?!o)

Interesting times . . . and now my friend, we know that we'll surely get there. . . Three cheers for the girls (and boys) at "Dr. Keene's Beauty without Cruelty Emporium" . . . Hurrrahh!

• 2 weeks later...

The standard sub-millimeter device that all of the top docs use. Why do you ask?

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Originally posted by Gorpy:

The standard sub-millimeter device that all of the top docs use. Why do you ask?

Thanks.

Just idle curiosity.

Was it a needle or a custom cut blade? To my knowledge, which may be incomplete there is no standard device. Different doctors prefer different tools for making the slits.

7500 grafts till now. All by Dr. Arvind/Dr.A, New Delhi.

They include strip FUHT, FUE and body hair grafts.

Hoping to accomplish full hair restoration.

It's one of those custom cut flat end blades. It looks like an ultra small flat head screw driver. Not sure that's a good description.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Just an update. I'm now at week 3. After week two, I started shedding transplanted hair. It now looks like I have lost about 50% of it. I'm actually happy about this because I know it is part of the normal process. It is also starting to look like I didn't have anything done at all.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

gorpy, im really happy for you. but just a tech geeks comment.. can you keep all of your updates in your photos thread? That way we can just scroll and see progress. is easier to review your awesome growth and personal account of the affair!

cas

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

I see what you mean. That's a good suggestion. I'll do that from now on.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album