does anyone regret having had a hair transplant?

Guest wanthairs

Guest wanthairs

Just to clarify, I do not regret having one done. Although my results are taking a long time, I do think this was the best decision I made in a long time, providing it eventually works out, and have nothing but good things to say thus far regarding Dr. Epstein...

I just want to know if any of you regret it. If so, why ? And who was the doc and when was it done? Please give as many specific details as possible to explain your case.

yes; one word MHR--piece of shits! Wide ass scar; pluggy look--3 hair grafts at the hairline; only 1300 grafts--they said that "I may never need another surgery again. and "it will be very dense cause we put a lot of grafts in a small area"--fucking bull shit; every fucking day I have to spend an hour strategically styling my hair to have it look presentable and have a baseball cap as a "backup." For example, I'm going out to dinner for my mother's b-day on sunday; I do not want to wear a hat, but I will depending on my "hair day." See, something that simple, has had me worring all week; I'm sorry, but it was not like this before my HT.

• Like 1

I don't think that too many of us will argue that having a bad HT is much worse than the baldness itself. I feel for jsmith because one never expects to look worse after going in for cosmetic surgery. For whatever reason bad HT's draw your eyes to it immediately--its magnetic.

Prior to my HT in August with Dr. Shapiro, I had one approx. 17 years ago now (Dr. Cole in Toronto)and I was very fortunate that I maintained some native hair or else I would have been super sad. Things were starting to become more evident so I had to repair things and already at 3 months things are concealed and improving daily.

When I see someone with a noticeably bad HT it breaks my heart. I had a patient that I could tell it bothered him so I confessed to him about my recent HT and he was ecstatic to know that he could be helped. It certainly was kind of strange to have him picking at my head like a chimp but I know where he is coming from. Likely he will be visiting Dr. Shapiro or H&W soon. It really felt good to come clean and help out a fellow brother.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

I feel for the guys that had bad HT's or pluggy ones in the early days.

Personally, I couldn't be happier that I had them. Hey, we all want more density and more hair, but, to go back to what I was 3 years ago.........NO WAY! icon_wink.gif Night and day difference.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Another good question could be "Has anyone had a HT from the 80's or early 90's that they are happy with"?

Man, for years I have awoken EVERY SINGLE DAY and the first thing that would pop into my mind was "what if", what if I had not have been such an impulsive dumbass and rushed into a HT with a surgeon who really did not care what I looked like?

My HT has had a very negative impact on my life, it helped ruin my confidence which really impacted a once VERY active dating life (thankfully I had those years prior to a HT to draw on, kind of liike 'riding a bike' and not forgetting how to) but more on that later.

So, after seeing my doctor repeatedly (he is now deceased) and one trip after another to his hair mill that I kept visiting time after time, the end result was little or no more density and alot less money. And for each new session, I would lose more native hair around it. It was a lose-lose situation.

My saving grace: I had a hairline that was receding all my life and wanted to keep it looking 'like normal', nothing ambitious. And its a damn good thing. I'm not sure anyone ever experienced shock loss like I did in the early nineties cause once I started all my native hair disappeared. And that made my pluggy look even more exposed. And, the Doctor did not give my hairline proper symmetry, which meant one side was not in the proper alignment with the other.

Hallelujah!

Now, we could safely lower the hairline on the part side, and by adding todays technology in the hands of a very capable doctor, the hairline is now symmetrical and the new grafts should hide the pluggy look.

I've not felt this optimistic in well over 10 years. The worst part was all those years where I thought there was likely nothing that could fix it. As far as I'm concerned, whats been done is a 100% improvement and it has not even grown in yet.

And this forum was a HUGE help, cant say enough about how much I have learned on it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but the Doctor said, even after all those pluggy transplants of the past I might have more donor hair for a touch up.

Yippee!

Wylie,

After a number of procedures in the 80s and 90s, I just gave up hope that I would get what I paid for. Fortunately, my frustration saved enough donor hair that I was able to have 2 FUT surgeries in the past 1 1/2 years. I pleased with the first and look forward to the second.

This site has restored my faith in HT surgery, at least the surgeons that are recommended.

Best regards,

bb

I am only 2.5 months out and to say its the best decision would be a stretch. I will say since I have seen my new hairline stuble slowly coming in I have gotten real excited and my confidence is getting better and better everyday. I too like NN helped a fellow brother out. I worked with this guy for the last 5 years and he was about to go to a "hair mill" I came out and told him that I got a ht by Dr. Shapiro (in August also might of seen you NN)and he was so happy that someone he knew already did it. He was living under a hat and still is, but at least I steered him away from those damn chains that ruin peoples lives and take their money. The common feel on this thread is that a well researched and planned out HT can be the best emotional decision of your life (ie mothers b day by jsmith). I know how you feel my friend, I never had work done before, but me being 26 with no hairline I used to obsess about certain events, THAT NO WAY TO GO THROUGH LIFE. You only live once...

You only live once...

Hi WH,

I am 1 year post op and have no regrets at all. I think if you do your research so that you understand the pros and cons and maintain realistic goals the chances of regretting your choices are less. I thought about it for years, tossing it around in my head, researching, planning through options and when I finally made a decision I was super sure I'd have no regrets outside of a butcher job.

It really is not like buying a car, you can sell, trade or donate that but there's no going back on a scar and hair manipulation. That's why I always say- learn to appreciate who you are today with or without hair.

HIGA

2400 Grafts with Dr. Epstein 11/8/06

Nizoral 3X/week

Rogaine foam 2x/day

What was funny with a bad HT was dying my hair blond, which actually (excepting an obvious hairline that was not real hard to see, and if youd ever noticed one before than mine was a dead giveaway) was that it helped conceal the transplants dark hair on a pale complexion.

Even though I was not a natural blonde it did a great job at concealment by changing the color.

So sometimes making an obvious change with "what you got to work with" can also work wonders.

I think I can fix what I got but I also have alot of scars under my hair so I need something to KEEP what I got, and believe it or not, I just learned about splitting Proscar into the 4 doses, in fact, I'd never heard of Proscar.

The name alone is a play on words and so appropriate....

icon_biggrin.gif

I think this is like any type of experience in life.

A bad experience leaves a poor taste in your mouth ( or on the head)

A good one is just as powerful and leaves a good taste in your mouth

This is why we cannot generalize on HT's. Do your reseach and go to a good doc.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

The majority of patients that research transplants on true patient advocate discussion boards are going to get a good result. Sometimes people are disappointment with when hair loss progresses though.

I remember talking with a patient who had 2 sessions to build his frontal zone (with another clinic). He expressed some regret over the situation. Interestingly, he has a nice result; the grafts were angled in a natural fashion, the hairline framed the face well, and the scar line was narrow. The problem was that he lost significant hair in the crown area in a few short years. While he had more hair than he would have (had he not done any work), he was pretty bummed about his continue loss. He was level-headed about it though. And, fortunately, he was quite happy with the results of the 3rd surgery for the crown.

All is well that ends well. My point is this: research hair loss when you research the best surgeons. A long term perseptive is important.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

For the record, I would say my feelings are the total opposite.

est decision I ever made.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Mrjb,

I think most people that get good work are VERY pleased. I just think that main thing even good work cannot remedy is progressive loss. That is not a big deal for some, but for others it is.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

MY experience with discussions from multiple meetings and other hair transplant surgeons as to why people are not happy and have regrets.

1. Misrepresentation of the procedure and patients were sold. They were not given clear expectations, reasonable and were not warned about the risk of future loss and maintenance.

2. Patients who started too early in life and priorities or finances change later on and they can not continue with the maintenance.

3. Generally, patients that had transplants several years ago when even the top physicians were not doing all microscopic follicular unit hair transplants. OUr specialty has evolved over time making the procedure more natural with high dense packing.

4. Physicians who are not properly trained or do not have enough experience. Hairs have the wrong direction, angles, an inappropriate locations.

5. Be also wary of those physicians that have a car salesman attitude like they are the best and are light years ahead of every body else and have never heard of other good physicians in there area. This is classic negative campaigning to elevate their stature above anyone else. They will sell you on the fact they have done more procedures than anyone else and are stuck doing the same old techniques, noit keeping up to date with changes. BUt who cares if Mac Donalds has over one billion served, it is still not the best hamburger. Look for quality not quantity.

6. Consultants are paid on commission in most cases. There are many good ones that accurately reflect the procedure and yet there are others that want to get you in for surgery. Make sure you consult directly with the doctor and review all issues. Mkae sure he feels you are a good candidate and have realistic expectations.

7. Low graft counts to lower the price with a promise of a full head of hair.

Remember, Your Hair transplant surgeon is your doctor. You should feel he has your best interest in mind and is concerned about how you feel about your hair what your goals are and what your expectations are. WIthout this, he is just a pure salesman and I would be vary cautious of these types of individuals.

WHen all these issues are discussed and you are both on the same page, it is a formula for a succesful result.

I regret my decision at the time. I was too impulse and naive. I trusted a "Doctor". We naturally put trust in certain positions in life; preist, cop, etc.

If anything I would go conservative for the first couple of HT's and build density in time.

Another expensive lesson well learned.

Wanthairs:

Not a bad transplant , but none the less, a bad decision-which left me scarred (literally) for life. My big mistake was getting sucked into a system at 25 years old. I flew to NJ for a "state-of- the- art, medically attached" hair system. It was just a wig, sutured to your head. They wove a "medical attachment" (seemed like 40 pound test) through the scalp and attached the hair system to that. How could I have been soooo stupid??? My body started to immediately reject it, causing infections and alot of discomfort. Had to remove the attachment shortly after but then I had maintain a hair system to hide the scarring and baldness, for almost twenty years.

Good news..love my HT. The freedom after 20 years is indescribable. I, like you, am in the NW6 range. The transplant has all but covered the scars"???if you pull back and separate my hair, you can still see them.

FYI---I thought my results looked pretty paltry at six months too. My growth spurt did not happen until the 11th month and continues to thicken-I am at month 14 now and see an improvement over last month.

Nice to see NW6's get a little revenge on nature.

Glock08

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. True 9/22/06

4326 grafts

2129 1's

2168 2's

6545 Total Hairs

Guest wanthairs

Glock...

Ive followed your progress for a long time now. I think your transformation has been nothing short of incredible. While I am very impatient , I just hope that my prgress can be a visual change to match yours. .....

Thanks everyone for contribuiting to this thread. Its obvious, most have had a good experience thanks to wisely choosing good doctors........

I look forward to my next procedure in about 6 months time......

I felt the same way Wanthairs. When I first started the HT process I looked at some people with great results and thought " there is no way I will have that good looking head of hair". well almost 3 years later, I was dead wrong!

You can have a great result with a great doc

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Thanks Wanthairs and Wylie:

The experience has been humbling as well as exhilarating.

Wish you both the very best.

Mrjb:

Thought you were going to post your pics if the Sox won the World Series??..or was it...If the Pat's go 19-0?? icon_smile.gif

Glock08

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. True 9/22/06

4326 grafts

2129 1's

2168 2's

6545 Total Hairs

Guest wanthairs

glock/....

I just looked ta your 1 year pics. I am amazed. Totally amazed. It looks like you do not need another procedure and this is an amazing stand alone result. I think this is one of the best results i have seen for the amount of hairs moved at the 12 month point. It makes me feel alot better being only at the 6 month point....

I agree, nice transformation glock; it looks natural and there appears to be ample density for styling etc; it looks good as a stand-alone ht, but leaves you with the option if you desire to fill-in/refine, but it is not a neccessity; only if you get hair greed