What to do? More HT or get rid of it all? See pics

Rugby:

The opinion I initially replied to on this thread still stands: conservative HT with great doctor. I'm glad a doctor says what I suggested could be possible in your case.

It is your decision, obviously, and you are approaching it the right way. Personally, if I had the finances and I were you, I'd get the doc to work on the front and the scar and stil go conservative. Sounds like the doc feels that can be accomplished.

Best of luck.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the dumbest question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

His preference for FIT over strip for me is largely due to my density, and in the event that I do go to a 7, there would be much less scarring in addition to what I already have.

You ever see these guys who are seemingly beyond a 7? I mean, the ones who have BARELY a wisp of hair left? Could I end up that way?

Dude, have you taken proscar, and if so, for how long? Did you continue to lose hair while on proscar? There is a new prostate medicine, Avodart which is stronger then proscar. If you get more transplants, I would recommend you look into this to minimise chance of future loss otherwise you may never be done with this.

I think like you said, you may be better just getting the scars repaired, shaving your head and forgetting about transplants until someone is able to do follicle multiplication.

Rugby:

The WORST (read: most significant and extensive) hairloss that I've seen was on the actor who plays Ray's father in the sitcom "Everybody Loves Raymond". He has literally a horseshoe of hair on his scalp. He's the most extensively bald man I've ever seen.

Still, he is a successful actor and he doesn't look weird with the extensive hairloss. Good for him.

On Avodart, it hasn't been FDA approved for hairloss but initial studies the SKB conducted show that it will have similiar or better effects as Propecia. Propecia is finasteride and Avodart is dutasteride. Avodart blocks another enzyme in the body that is responsible for some of the testosterone converting into DHT. It's like finasteride with a little more "uummph".

Again, Avodart not FDA approved yet and I'm not sure if long term studies are complete either. Avodart WILL be very expensive compared to Propecia.

I do think it is a fairly safe assumption at this point to say if Propecia is producing positive results with a person, then Avodart will prouduce similar or possibly better results.

Just my take on all that.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

rugby

any idea what you would look like if you shaved? ie how would the donor sites look and how would the transplants look? has anyone ever seen a guy w/ transplants who has shaved? you would think that there should be some type of plastic surgery or whatnot out there that could 'reverse' the transplants?

Rugby

I noticed PRoseMD replied in this forum. If you dont know him he works with Shapiro and has his own clinic in Tampa. I had corrective work done with him at Shapiro two weeks ago. He took out about 40 mini grafts ( nice word for PLUGS ) and trimmed them down and recycled them. He also took out a nasty scar I had from previous "hair mill" work. It would be worth a trip to see him. I have to utmost respect for Rose and Shapiro after going there. Good luck.

Experience:

6 HT to date.......wish this forum was around in the 90's!

Uncjim and Jo

Thanks for your information. I am trying to figure out how some guys that had even more plug grafts than me (like Uncjim) can still get good graft yields, while my own donor area is pretty shot.

• 1 month later...

Arfy,

Thank-you for your post. I completely agree with you. I am very much the person you are talking about. I have had 2 transplants from 2 different surgeons (butchers) and I came away with raised, red scars (the first surgeon) and "ice pick" scars from the second procedure. If you could provide some names of surgeons in the state of Michigan or there abouts, please let me know.

Rugby,

Have you thought about slightly building your frontal hairline and using a hairpiece behind ? I am not a huge fan of hairpieces, but you have an extremely poor case of supply/demand.

I have seen this pulled off quite nicely, and you already have older grafts that are hard to get rid of. ?

NW

Have never considered a hairpiece. I played rugby with a guy that had one, and would remove it for the matches; it was a poor-quality piece at that. Another factor for me is that my hair is thin, particularly on the sides, so it would be spotted a mile away.

I recently saw pics on this site or the other, posted by a physician, showing tight placement of about 1,000 or so grafts. The idea was to put a piece behind it. It may work well for that person, but I really don't think it would work for me, for a number of reasons.

I'm not so much interested in trying to look like I have a teenager's hairline as I am in having a more natural, receding appearance. That's the best I think I can accomplish. That, and improving the open-donor scarring to allow me to keep my hair short.

I recently cut my hair (on top) a little shorter, and it's not as bad as I thought. I have some business travel coming up, but after that, I will likely cut it even shorter to see how it looks. Then take it from there...