Hair transplant with Dr Ron Shapiro

Oferim

I just had a hair transplant (8/10/2006) with Dr. Ron Shapiro in Minneapolis, MN. I'm 43 year old, have a stable hair line, type 4A, and wanted to do this for a long time. This is my first (and hopfully only) hair transplant. I got 2964 grafts for just under 10,000$, including tax and post-surgery package. The operation took 12 hours, with the doctor taking the donor strip off, and doing all the incisions. He used staples to close the incision (which is what I believed is recommended). A group of up to six technicians worked on splicing the strip and planting the grafts.

Ron Shapiro does one patient a day, compared to MHR (for example, Frank Adams in NY) who do 4 patients a day. Also, I have to point out that Ron Shapiro was there most of the time. The technicians seemed to be highly professional, and work there several years - no significant turnover. And believe me - you want good and happy technicians.

Bottom line: I recommend Ron Shapiro with a whole heart, subject of course, to see the final results in about a year. His prices are quite moderate compared to other good doctors. I got good vibes for Dr Bernstein in NY, but he charges 6$/graft, which is a bit steep. It was certainly worth my while to fly to Minneapolis.

After being in the clinic, I would also consider Dr Paul Shapiro, who is less known, but is Ron's brother, shares the same technician team, and I'm pretty sure he knows what he is doing.

A word of thanks to this website - I was shopping for doctors, and this website helped me make up my mind with which doctor to go.

Dr. Shapiro's a gem. Glad to hear you had a positive experience. Would you care to share your before and after pics (if you have them)? It's always nice to see the work.........especially from someone of the caliber of Doc Shapiro.

Happy Grown',

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Oferim, welcome to the boards and congrats on your surgery. Dr. Shapiro's work is among the very best, and his hairlines are virtually undetectable. Hell, if not for him this whole darned website would probably not have existed. (Can you imagine if Pat didn't have the good fortune and common sense to seek out a doctor of his caliber? He might have ended up a mess with some butcher and would never have started this whole endeavor.) Can't wait to see your results!!!

My blog.

HT1: 4063 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 12/9/03

HT2: 3537 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 5/15/06

Total grafts: 7,600

congrats for taking the plunge. Once you go through it , it really is amazing how much labor is involved with all of this. I had DR Rose who used to office out of there and loved the staff also. I will be going back for a consult at 10 months with Matt(he is a great guy too, and knows his stuff). I am approaching 9 months post op and am thrilled with my results, you will be too. I would also love to see some before and after pics if you care to share them.