Shock loss questions

NC30

Okay....this is my second post on this message board, even though I've been reading it for a long while now. It's been 31 days since my 1500 HT. I've done all the research, read as many posts/message boards/websites, etc., and I'm not finding the answers that I want.

I've not had any major side effects from my HT. There was never any redness, perhaps just the slightest bit of swelling, no discomfort, etc. I'm perfectly fine with all of that. The only thing I've had is perhaps adjusting to the odd feeling of the donor area ( the slight tightness, the different feeling from that area---no pain)

I've read how many of you had significant shock loss with your first HT, and minimal with the 2nd. I've also read how some experienced shock as soon as a few weeks afterwards.

So...here are a few of my questions which I hope many of you can answer or tell of your experience....

1. When is the earliest that shock loss begins?

2. What is the latest you've ever heard of shock loss beginning?

3. When it does occur, how long does it typically last?

4. When is shock loss typically done? ( Say, for example, after 3 months if you hadn't experienced shock loss then you're pretty much in a safe zone? 4 months? 6 months?)

I know that shock loss will vary from person to person, but I'm pretty sure that there's a typical range that most everyone will fall into.

I know I'm probably not the only person wondering these things, and I've done an incredible amount of reading, but I'd be happy to hear all of your thoughts.

Okay....this is my second post on this message board, even though I've been reading it for a long while now. It's been 31 days since my 1500 HT. I've done all the research, read as many posts/message boards/websites, etc., and I'm not finding the answers that I want.

I've not had any major side effects from my HT. There was never any redness, perhaps just the slightest bit of swelling, no discomfort, etc. I'm perfectly fine with all of that. The only thing I've had is perhaps adjusting to the odd feeling of the donor area ( the slight tightness, the different feeling from that area---no pain)

I've read how many of you had significant shock loss with your first HT, and minimal with the 2nd. I've also read how some experienced shock as soon as a few weeks afterwards.

So...here are a few of my questions which I hope many of you can answer or tell of your experience....

1. When is the earliest that shock loss begins?

2. What is the latest you've ever heard of shock loss beginning?

3. When it does occur, how long does it typically last?

4. When is shock loss typically done? ( Say, for example, after 3 months if you hadn't experienced shock loss then you're pretty much in a safe zone? 4 months? 6 months?)

I know that shock loss will vary from person to person, but I'm pretty sure that there's a typical range that most everyone will fall into.

I know I'm probably not the only person wondering these things, and I've done an incredible amount of reading, but I'd be happy to hear all of your thoughts.

NC30,

Excellent questions, ones I had as well,

For me 1st HT,

I had the most severe shock loss at appx the 6-8 week point, in my case the hair grew back in between 4-6 months, about the same time the new grafts started to grow. I was actually quite concerned about the shock loss, but again it did grow-in later. I lost a ton !!!

You will not get further shock loss after the grafts initially grow in, or in other words once the improvement starts to appear, your fear of further shock should be over.

And as you eluded to already, HT#2 was very smooth with little or zero noticable shock loss.

NW

[This message was edited by NW on April 29, 2003 at 08:16 PM.]

What is a "normal" amount of time before the little new HT nubs fall out???

I'm about 2 months post op now on my second HT and I can still feel alot of the nubs. They have not fallen out yet (and are not growing).

I don't remember experiencing this during my first HT.

Thanx

Midnite

I had a lot of shock loss first-time around. It was like 2 steps forward, one step back.. Very noticable at 3-5 weeks. I had started growth at 2 months. By 5 months both shock and ht sprouted. Second ht no shock loss but very slow growth. Didn't start till 4 months. I am now at 5 months, still whispy but steady growth.

Ive also been wondering about "shock loss" I admit that is why I came on here today. I am 9 days out from my 2nd HT and I am curious as well. My questions are also surrounding shock loss. I wasn't sure if the loss was due to existing hairs being damaged/cut during the HT, or if the loss is due to new donor sites taking blood from surrounding hairs so the existing hair doesn't survive. I am in the same boat as you when it comes to wanting answers.

I feel stupid since I've already had 1 HT and don't remember much about shock loss before. I just remember being thin all over and after 4-5 months it started coming in. Every time I hold my head over the sink and lightly brush my hair with my fingers I am seeing hairs falling out. I am taking propecia and I know from experience that helps, but I don't know how it affects shock loss. I am going to post a similar shock loss question in the Dr.'s forum.

• 3 weeks later...