First post, would like some advice on what to do about my hairline.. 21YRs old.

jd066

To everyone,

I'm new to the boards and would just like to give everyone a big HELLO. We're all in this together. I've been browsing and reading. It's great to have a place to come with people in the almost same boat as me.

I've always had a high hairline.. um in middle school I remember seeing other kids "square" type hairlines and this one kid said yours isn't like mine when I asked him which cut he got(random story). But I didn't notice it. Then in highschool at about 16 years I got a shorter haircut and thats when it all started. This "friend" was like dude your going bald man. And I saw how high my hairline was. And since then its been moving back. Not too fast but hell I had to deal with people calling me "Robocop" in highschool man.. the locker rooms where people would come by and just pull my hairline back to laugh. And here I am 21, every time I get all dressed up and comb my hair, the first thing I see people look at is my high ass hairline when I meet them. I see my girlfriend looking at it. I know it bothers her cause she will only post certain angle/pics on her myspace of us where it looks like I got a normal hairline. Hell it bothers me greatly.

So my question to you gentleman is what is my best option? I'm very scared of taking drugs for side effects. This whole thing has me so down. I mean I'm 21.. some people go bald at like THIRTY and it bothers them. I've never gotten to feel confident in my hairline even in my prime years and comb my hair back. It sucks 4x as worse. I could have dealed with it at 30+ easily man.. easily.

I was honestly thinking of a HT by Dr. Limmer in San Antonio texas (I live south of houston, if you know any other reputable surgeons) when I was like 23-24 and then one later on to fill in the back( none has gone from the crown but my hair on top feels thinner than sides).

If you're still reading, I really appreciate you taking your time to read and help another human being who you don't know. This is so mentally defeating at 21.

hairline-21.jpg.479f6507b074ea9ebafa867705550edc.jpg

To everyone,

I'm new to the boards and would just like to give everyone a big HELLO. We're all in this together. I've been browsing and reading. It's great to have a place to come with people in the almost same boat as me.

I've always had a high hairline.. um in middle school I remember seeing other kids "square" type hairlines and this one kid said yours isn't like mine when I asked him which cut he got(random story). But I didn't notice it. Then in highschool at about 16 years I got a shorter haircut and thats when it all started. This "friend" was like dude your going bald man. And I saw how high my hairline was. And since then its been moving back. Not too fast but hell I had to deal with people calling me "Robocop" in highschool man.. the locker rooms where people would come by and just pull my hairline back to laugh. And here I am 21, every time I get all dressed up and comb my hair, the first thing I see people look at is my high ass hairline when I meet them. I see my girlfriend looking at it. I know it bothers her cause she will only post certain angle/pics on her myspace of us where it looks like I got a normal hairline. Hell it bothers me greatly.

So my question to you gentleman is what is my best option? I'm very scared of taking drugs for side effects. This whole thing has me so down. I mean I'm 21.. some people go bald at like THIRTY and it bothers them. I've never gotten to feel confident in my hairline even in my prime years and comb my hair back. It sucks 4x as worse. I could have dealed with it at 30+ easily man.. easily.

I was honestly thinking of a HT by Dr. Limmer in San Antonio texas (I live south of houston, if you know any other reputable surgeons) when I was like 23-24 and then one later on to fill in the back( none has gone from the crown but my hair on top feels thinner than sides).

If you're still reading, I really appreciate you taking your time to read and help another human being who you don't know. This is so mentally defeating at 21.

Hey jd,

First off: your hairline is on the higher side, but we have seen a lot worse in 21 year olds. If you already had a congenitally high hairline, it may have just reached the "mature" stage, in which case meds probably wouldn't restore it anyway. If you think you may be experiencing the early stages of MPB, meds may help protect you against further loss.

Most respected doctors normally say they won't consider a person a candidate until he has reached the age of 25; however, this is not always the case. But if I were in your shoes I would wait at least a few years; your balding pattern may be more established by then. If not, then maybe consider a smaller FUE session, maybe 1000 or so to lower the contour of the hairline in an artistic manner to where your native hairs in the widow's peak are if it still bothers you when you are in your mid-later 20s. This way, you would have a strong mature hairline, wouldn't use a ton of grafts, a wouldn't have a linear scar in the back of your head.

In the meantime, I would let your girlfriend know that she isn't really supporting you by trying to hide your higher hairline if that's the case. Most of us have girlfriends/wives who honestly wouldn't care if were we bald or not; it's a personal insecurity. So to really think that your significant other actually has a problem with it is way too much stress for you to deal with. Just talk about it.

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

I think your hairline looks fine. I know you're only 21 but I had people noticing my 'diffused' thinning at 21 as well. I know how it is bro, but try and wait.

How about a pic without you pulling it up? Maybe that's what has me thinking your problem's not all that bad.

As far as the girlfriend. Maybe it's your imagination about her feelings on the hairline. Maybe you look for a 26 year old woman who doesn't have a MySpace. 26 year old's are fine, too!

I had a ht at 25, and believe me my hair thinned so rapidly afterwards that it never gave me any sort of feeling of more hair.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry it took me so long to respond. I will post a picture of me not holding it back, but basically the amount of recession from 16 to now is that. If I put my 4 fingers out, and lay them on my head the top of my fingers used to touch the peak. Now theres a good half inch. And you see how Im pulling it back with my hand. Well the tip of my pinky and the end of my palm used to be where the sides of hair were. Now its all skin and its barely like 2 inchs wide if that.

jd,

I feel your pain, champ. I was 21-22 when I noticed that going bald was in my future and it destroyed my self confidence. I had my first HT at 25 and wished that I would of waited. Only because it was a bad one, but the technology was not anywhere close to what it is today.

That being said, I would suggest that you try using both propecia and rogaine for a couple of years. There have been some people that do not respond to one, the other, or either. BUT, there are others that do respond!

Although its been done (and there results here in this forum) on 21-22 year olds, I don't think it is the norm.

Keep doing your homework on the internet and this site and you should get a better grasp of what is best for you- both now and in the future.

check out this link:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=149286

• 2 weeks later...

JD,

I used to have shoulder length hair when I was in High School. That was until I started losing hair at 19. And I remember one of my "friend" telling me that I'm going bald in the crown when I was 23.

The stupid thing I did was missing the wonder med Propecia.

I started taking Propecia when I was 26 & had my first HT recently (I'm 28 now). Propecia can't work wonders. However, it can definitely stop/slow down the hair loss. And it has not damaged my mojo icon_smile.gif

Try Propecia & postpone the HT for another few years. There are tons of research going on in the field of HT & maybe 5 yrs down the line, they should be able to clone your hair & you can avoid the Strip/FUE Transplants.

Cheers!!