Post Op Unbarable?

Some of this post op stuff I have been reading sounds pretty bad. Things like basically saying I would have to stop exercising and lifting weights for ike 3 months. Is this really true? What about sexual activity? etc.

Thanks a lot.

By the way I have had no surgery done at all, I am just asking as one of my many precautionary and research methods as I continue to investigate HTs.

Some of this post op stuff I have been reading sounds pretty bad. Things like basically saying I would have to stop exercising and lifting weights for ike 3 months. Is this really true? What about sexual activity? etc.

Thanks a lot.

By the way I have had no surgery done at all, I am just asking as one of my many precautionary and research methods as I continue to investigate HTs.

I think sexual activity is off limits for a week or two.

You really have to take care of yourself after a transplant. You don't want to jeopardize your results. Remember that this is going to affect the rest of your life. Don't get impatient or careless.

After about 2 weeks the grafts are pretty much "in", although you should be tender with them for at least a month.

Really the biggest concern is your donor scar. You want to avoid putting tension on it, or increasing your blood pressure ("internal" tension). Lifting weights can temporarily blow your blood pressure through the roof, while you are doing an exercise. Certain exercises are especially bad, like leg presses, squats, deadlifts...

The problem is that tension is a huge factor in forming a problem donor scar. In the best cases, your donor scar can be thin and some guys say it's not an issue whatsoever. Tension can cause the donor scar to stretch, so that it becomes a visual problem, that you would be better off avoiding. The donor area takes a while to heal, as the surgery does rquire "deep healing". Everyone thinks of their hair as being "external" and most guys don't realize that a transplant is real surgery. It's not like a trip to the barber or even the dentist. It takes months for the donor area to completely heal.

If you are an exercise buff then you will have to modify your workouts, go very very easy at first and avoid doing anything that stretches the donor area or raises your blood pressure because of hard effort or exertion.

Post-op is nothing. I had my HT 1 month ago today from one one of the best in the world and it was a walk in the park. You just need to clean it the head correctly. I did not work out until a few days ago but I did get back to getting action 2 weeks post. There was some pain for 3 weeks after but I attribute it to me wearing a baseball hat which irritated the donar area-I was advided not too but did it anyway.

Young,

It sounds like you have been really digging in and doing some reading! Knowledge is power and surgical hair restoration is certainly no exception to this rule!

The post-op period is a time to be careful, but you don't have to put your life on hold.

First, the recipient area is going to be the focal point of your care directly post-op. It is certainly possible to dislodge grafts during the first 10 or so days after the procedure. I have even heard of a patient losing about 400 grafts by hitting his head on the car door frame right after surgery. You have to be really careful with this area directly post-op. Your physician will have a "Do's" and "Don'ts" list for you to follow. You would also be able to refer to the forums any time you had a question, of course.

The donor area is a large concern because you don't want to put any undo stress on it that will cause the scar to stretch. This is where the abstinance from heavy weight-lifting and other intense excercise is important.

Opinions vary, but most will agree that you can begin running at around 2 weeks post-op, light weights at around 4 weeks post-op, and resume normal, heavier weights at around month 3. This is to ensure that the donor scar does not stretch.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog