Avodart / Proscar - Bad for your health insurance?

Rashomon

I got a prescription for Avodart, and filled two of them using my health insurance. (Only a $30 co-pay for each)

Now, I'm concerned that this will flag me as having a prostate problem on my health insurance. I don't want this to cause me to pay a higher premium if I have to change insurance carrier or buy my own insurance.

So, will using your drug coverage plan ding your health insurance? If so, will it eventually "roll off" if you don't fill a prescription for a certain amount of time? (I paid for my last refill out of pocket.)

What about Proscar? Will this ding your insurance, too? Do those of you who use Avodart / Proscar use your insurance, or do you pay out of pocket?

I got a prescription for Avodart, and filled two of them using my health insurance. (Only a $30 co-pay for each)

Now, I'm concerned that this will flag me as having a prostate problem on my health insurance. I don't want this to cause me to pay a higher premium if I have to change insurance carrier or buy my own insurance.

So, will using your drug coverage plan ding your health insurance? If so, will it eventually "roll off" if you don't fill a prescription for a certain amount of time? (I paid for my last refill out of pocket.)

What about Proscar? Will this ding your insurance, too? Do those of you who use Avodart / Proscar use your insurance, or do you pay out of pocket?

You probably need to talk with your insurance provider about this. The downside is then you won't get a copay for the meds. My medical insurance wanted the Doc to call them and verify I was being treated for an enlarged prostate............even if he'd have done it for me I wouldn't have wanted him to because it wouldn't have been the truth.

Not sure that your health insurance company will ding you for anything or make it a part of your record...............just give them a call.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Yeah, I'm concerned that my records will show that I have a prostate problem, which could raise my costs of health insurance and life insurance. If that happens, then... well... there goes my $$$ savings.

When I call my insurance company, should I actually tell them that I want to take Avodart for hair loss, rather than a prostate problem? I can't think of any other way to spin it.

Yes..........it's the truth and that's what I'd tell them. It's the best way and this way you won't be wondering.......what if?? when it comes to your insurance premium and record.

If you're concerned about your insurance premium you must not be part of a group plan through your employer, correct? If you're a part of a group plan, it will make no difference. Also, you may want to ask your provider if because you take Proscar (or Avodart) they automatically record in your history that you have prostate problems........maybe they don't, you won't know if you don't ask.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.