Shapiro's brother?

slick old

Hey guys first post been lurking here for a while. Had a second consult with Shapiro today and I'll probably go foward with my first transplant. I have the chance to do surgery with Shapiro's brother who, according to Matt is just as good. They've offered a pretty decent discount if I decide to go with the brother. Although I'm sure I have nothing to worry about with any docs at that clinic I really don't want to chance anything. Any feedback on this doctor? Thx

I've heard nothing of him but that's not to say he wouldn't be good. Anyone else heard of him or had an HT from him?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I believe there is another Dr. Shapiro that does HT's that is a hack, and is no relation to Ron Shapiro. Of course, Matt would not have recommended him. He probably was talking about Dr. Rose, who also has a very good reputation.

BTW- Are Dr. Keene & Dr. Charles still associated with Shapiro? Just wondering. I didn't see any mention of them on his website.

Originally posted by slick:

They've offered a pretty decent discount if I decide to go with the brother.

And THAT was an important factor in your decision? I have just been on SMG's website and couldn't find any reference to Ron Shapiro's brother (I believe his name is Paul). Why is that?

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

Originally posted by ts808:

I believe there is another Dr. Shapiro that does HT's that is a hack, and is no relation to Ron Shapiro.

That is Dr Lawrence Shapiro who apparently runs a hairmill in Florida. Nothing to do with Ron, as you say. Confusing or what?

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

• Administrators

Sorry for the confusion regarding Dr. Ron Shapiro's brother - Dr. Paul Shapiro.

Ron Shapiro does indeed have a brother who is also a doctor. Ron has been intensively training his brother Paul in hair transplantation at his clinic in Minneapolis for the past two years.

Dr. Paul Shapiro has really paid his dues and has certainly been learning from the very best, using the best techniques and a very crack staff.

When I was in Minneapolis this past fall I did see Dr. Paul Shapiro doing surgery and he was very meticulous and his incisions, patterns and graft placement looked very similar to Dr. Ron Shapiro's (perhaps it's in the genes?).

Today's large sessions of all follicular unit micrografting really require a team approach. So much of the results come down to not only the surgeon but the entire staff. Thus the staff at the Shapiro Medical Group tends to make the results fairly consistent whether it's Dr. Ron Shapiro, Dr. Paul Rose or Dr. Paul Shapiro doing the surgery.

I know that Ron wanted to be very confident in his brother Paul's ability before he let him "solo" a few months ago. But Dr. Ron Shapiro has assured me that he is very confident that his brother Paul is now at a point where he can stake the good name of his clinic on him and his results.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm still up in the air on which doc to go with. Of course money isn't my main concern but if I can save a large chunk of change going with a doctor who supposedly is just as good should I? I guess what I'm asking is would you guys choose Ron or Paul if it was your first surgery?

well first of all we need some clarification. are you talking about dr Rose, or a brother of shapiro? I had dr rose, its only been 2 months but so far things are fine from a healing stand point, you can look at my pics for a refference, and you can call me if you want to chat about the expirence. email me private and i will give you my number. hope that helps.

Originally posted by troy:

well first of all we need some clarification. are you talking about dr Rose, or a brother of shapiro? I had dr rose, its only been 2 months but so far things are fine from a healing stand point, you can look at my pics for a refference, and you can call me if you want to chat about the expirence. email me private and i will give you my number. hope that helps.

I am talking about choosing between Ron Shapiro or his brother Paul. Your pattern looks pretty close to mine or where I am heading. I was told I need to shave down to 1/4 inch to do the surgery which makes me pretty nervous as I'd rather keep my hair longer to hide the work. Your hair looks about an inch long in the after pics. Was that your choice or necessary for surgery?

No I could have kept it longer. It makes it easier to work so hair is not in the way. Pamela cut it for me and left it as long as I could. My thoughts were, I might as well do it right if it makes it easier, and could have a slight better result, why not just do it. I actually liked the hair cut. I went back and had Pamela even it out after a month. Now its getting longer again. Once the new crop comes in , I may just buzz it down to a number 3 and let it all grow back evenly. Also Dr Rose is not shapiros brother. is that who your talking about?

Guys, When I choose Shapiro medical to do my HT, I also was offered a chance for Paul to do my surgery. I have to tell you that I honestly thought about having him do my surgery as they offered a substantial discount for his services. However, my hairloss has progressed from a NW 5 to a full six, so I required Ron himself to plan out a series of surgeries, and in essence, reconstruct my hairlne and lateral humps. This is not a knock on Paul, as his methodology is the same as his brothers, period. In addition, I met him while at Shapiro medical, and his hairline work is great as well. What you have to understand is if you met and talked to Ron Shapiro you would realize that he would NEVER allow anyone use his name or his clinic without being sure of them, regardless if it his brother or not. We can see the great work other dr's are performing that studied under Ron, so I think he would be a safe, viable alternative, and a good way to save cash.

PS. Boy that would be tough breaking into the HT industry and your brother is Ron Shapiro, wouldn't it? icon_biggrin.gif

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Ron Shapiro's brother is Dr Paul Shapiro M.D. He has been working at the clinic for a number of years slowly learning the techniques from Ro Shapiro and Paul Rose. I am a patient ofr Ron Shapiro having initially started with him I stuck with him. But Paul Shapiro is equally as compassionate as his brother and from what I hear from the Shapiro techs as equally capable as Ron and Dr Paul Rose. heas had been doing HT on his own for a while and i believe his patients have had no complaints.

He has learned from two of the best in the HT industry and and untilses all the same HT technicians and assistants in Minneapolis as Ron Shapiro and Paul Rose - all very capable. Iwould have no problem with Paul Shapiro.

Wow thats a strange turn their taking offering a discount, sounds like Ron wants to go on more vacations and slip away into the sunset,

Mudpuppy, I hope we are not going to revisit this everytime a conversation about Shapiro medical pops up. It is obvious that you are dissatisfied with the treatment program designed for you at Shapiro medical. However, your only real complaint was donor assessment, not the surgery itself, nor the clinic. AGAIN, we are talking about a difference in philosophy here, not skill level, period. I really don't like it when someone hijacks into a thread, out of spite or malice to restate issues contained in another thread. You have that big of a problem? Keep updating your thread with posts and pictures, that way anyone doing a search on Shapiro will find it and be able to see your opinion. In addition, what knowledge do you have that allows you to comment on Ron going on vacation? What relevence does it have? Nothing you are posting is making sense, nor gaining you any support, Mud. You don't like the approach by Shapiro fine. You like the approach at H&W fine. That's it. There is your argument, in a nutshell. We are not talking about artistry, or clinic, or closure, just simply you wanting more grafts per session. You somehow make it sound as if you went to Bosley or MHR, and then got saved!!!!! You are certainly entitled to your opinion and you have used all 14 of your posts to express it.

I also have a question. Is this your LAST surgery? Are you going to need additional surgeries to get the results you need?

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

B-spot, how could you possibly read that much into my post, your nuts, back off of me, i will post my experiences as i feel fit without kissing ass everytime, you are not a moderator here, top of the page says "Share your experience with others".

YOU ARE NOT Ron Shapiros defender, they are offering a discount to have surgery with his brother? why offer a discount? i find that strange thats "my opinion" get it.

When i went for my follow up Ron was in California on a fasting diet to try and lose some weight so i couldnt see him, thus my remark about vacation.

I have had other consultationbs now and surgery from another clinic so i feel i can give my opinion.

Have you had other consultations? if so, where? thats a great piece of advice i thought, apparently you dont think so

you are looking for an argument, you come off as VERY overbearing!!!!!!!

Posted by Mudpuppy.

Do I think Dr. Ron Shapiro is top notch? Yes

Do I think Matt made a bad call on my donor? I still think so but theres no harm done

Did he do it to book me for 3 procedures or for my own good? im honestly struggling with that one

Do i wish i had a bigger session? Yes

To sum it up i think Dr. Shapiro performed a miracle with only 2523 Graphs in front and back, it is so natural you cannot tell anything and for that im very thankful, when i see other pictures of 2500 Graphs and what they got i feel lucky that i started with Dr. Shapiro.

This is a hard decision for me to change clinics for my next procedure (Really hard!!!) but i have done my research and feel confident in Dr. Hasson, im going to be more aggressive than Dr. Shapiro would have done on me by about 1 thousand Graphs or more.

If my post came of as a moderator, sorry, that was not my intention. Now, as to the nature of your reply to me: You say this is about sharing your views, and for me to back off. Exactly which experience are you speaking off? The response you gave here, does not add up, period. This is what I am referring to when I said I did not like you posting crap that DIRECTLY contradicts your previous posts. In this post we have someone simply looking for information and clarification, and he has received it. BTW, How else do you think doctors learn to do HT's? They train under other (hopefully) doctors, and hone their skills that way. EVERY DOCTOR.

H&W, Shapiro, Haber, Konier consults, and inumerous phone conversations with consultants. Oh,and BTW, my HT was the day before Coalition meeting hosted by Dr. Shapiro, so I was able to actually speak with several doctors as they examined me 1 day post op, along with conversing about the use of different slitting techniques that I remember very vividly. I guess I should have just left your post alone, as it is quite irrelevant, to the topic. Oh,and I don't need to defend Ron Shapiro, you have already done that in a previous post. You are certainly enititled to your opinion, but as far as doctors go, we are in agreement.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Message from Paul Shapiro, MD:

Hi to all on the hair transplant network. I am sorry for any confusion I may have caused and would like to introduce myself.

I am Paul Shapiro, MD (please call me Dr. Paul) and I am Ron Shapiro MD's younger brother. I have been a medical doctor since 1986. Prior to working with my brother I have worked in medicine specializing in Pain Management, Rehabilitation Medicine, and as a Family Doctor. I am board certified with the American Academy of Family Medicine and a Diplomate of American Academy of Pain Management.

I have been following Ron's career and attending hair transplant conferences since 1995, but seriously decided to learn hair restoration surgery six years ago after moving to Minneapolis. In the past five years I have gone through intensive training, first observing Ron and his staff, next assisting with surgeries, then performing surgeries with Ron's or Dr. Rose's supervision, and finally performing surgeries on my own. I have been performing solo surgeries for the past two years.

In addition to my training at Shapiro Medical Group, Ron has arranged for me to visit and observe a number of well respected hair transplant surgeons such as Victor Hassan, Jerry Cooley, and Ed Epstein.

I am privileged to have such good teachers as my brother and Dr. Paul Rose. I love doing the surgeries and feel that the quality of my work is comparable to any doctors who have done surgery at Shapiro Medical Group. As many of you know, besides Dr. Paul Rose, Dr. Sharon Keen and Dr. Glen Charles have worked at Shapiro Medical Group.

Due to Dr. Ron Shapiro's reputation and his busy lecturing schedule, his surgery schedule is usually full up to three months ahead of time, thus it is more difficult to schedule a surgery with him. Since I do not have any teaching obligations and do not attend as many medical meetings, my schedule is more open then my brothers. For these reasons we have a different pricing schedule for surgeries done by myself then Ron. Our pricing schedule gives patients more options while still offering them the quality of work that is a standard at Shapiro Medical Group. It will always been our policy to let the patient decide which doctor will perform their surgery and a patient can always choose to have their surgery done by my brother.

I am not mentioned on our web site because we are in the process of re-writing our web site and it should be completed in the next month. At that time I will be able to post some photographs of my work on the web site.

I hope this response clarifies your questions and concerns. If anyone ever wants to ask me any questions my email is pshapiromd@shapiromedical .com.

Paul V. Shapiro, MD

Thanks for introducing yourself Dr. Paul. I look forward to hearing many great success stories about you.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Dr. Paul, Thank you for taking the time to identify yourself, and I second Gorpy in looking forward to your sucess stories.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Kansas,

Take a look at the earlier posts from this thread for reference. Just my opinion...........but I would think given his experience and the top individuals he's trained with you could expect great results. If I were looking at the Shapiro clinic I wouldn't hesitate going to him.

As far as price...........I consulted with them and spoke to Matt Zupan who I think handles all consultations. I think Dr. Ron Shaprio is $4.50 for the first 2000 then maybe $2.00 for additional grafts?? Other Doc's in Shapiro's group, I believe, are $4 per graft then same discount. I'm going from memory here (which is not always great icon_wink.gif) so please contact them for further info.

Good luck!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.