3 Months In...Dr. Hasson 5828 Grafts On 12/06/06

Mikeman

Hey guys...Thought I'd drop by here and post some updates on a 5828 graft procedure I had done 3 months ago.

I had been using dermmatch/toppik daily to conceal the loss the last 2 1/2 years(I'm 27)...Since I started doing this the loss really progressed rapidly from a NW2-3 to NW5 diffuse situation which seems to have stabilized/slowed a year before having the transplant

Since the transplant, I've started taking 1/4 Proscar and since day 54, 5% Minoxidil as well.

Some stats on the transplant:

-Strip Size: 2.5cm/30cm

-1000 singles used in the hairline

-836 singles used in a wreath formation around my head

-3992 multis used down the middle

-grafts per cm squared ranges from 25-45, back to front

-My hair diameter was apparently ~95 microns, compared to the usual 50-80.

-Dr. Hasson estimates I have approximately 3-4k more grafts available for the future(9-10k grafts)

Edited by Mikeman

Hey guys...Thought I'd drop by here and post some updates on a 5828 graft procedure I had done 3 months ago.

I had been using dermmatch/toppik daily to conceal the loss the last 2 1/2 years(I'm 27)...Since I started doing this the loss really progressed rapidly from a NW2-3 to NW5 diffuse situation which seems to have stabilized/slowed a year before having the transplant

Since the transplant, I've started taking 1/4 Proscar and since day 54, 5% Minoxidil as well.

Some stats on the transplant:

-Strip Size: 2.5cm/30cm

-1000 singles used in the hairline

-836 singles used in a wreath formation around my head

-3992 multis used down the middle

-grafts per cm squared ranges from 25-45, back to front

-My hair diameter was apparently ~95 microns, compared to the usual 50-80.

-Dr. Hasson estimates I have approximately 3-4k more grafts available for the future(9-10k grafts)

Edited by Mikeman

Hey Mikeman--- Welcome and Congrats on your HT with Dr. Hasson.

I am certain that many other members will appreciate the detailed photos you are presenting during your month to month growing phases.

You are not going to be able to recognize yourself in a few months!!!!

Anyway, I am going to take the opportunity with your post to build on some questions that have been asked in a previous thread. This is based on the information you posted, or your "stats"

Anyway--- I estimate your donor density at 77 fu's cm/2.

The question I have here is #1 actual grafts and #2 actual hair.

Your graft count seems low for the size strip Dr. Hasson removed and I would like to know exactly how much hair you had moved.

Just for comparision-- I have had a total of 2.5cm of tissue removed, one strip 27cm, the other 30, (slightly less than you) and I yielded 6721 grafts and 13K hairs moved.

Is that why Dr. Hasson pointed out the diameter of your hair? Did he state that this balances out your lower density in the donor region?

If you are able to get the actual information from H&W that would be great.

Anyway, continued good growth and please keep us updated as you progress!!!!

Thanks Again,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Yo Mikeman.............or should I say Jughead??? I have envy of the total amount of donor hairs you have. I myself have a skinny pinhead and only got about 6800 FU's after two surgeries. I am constantly amazed at how many grafts the HT Doctors are getting these days. Take care of that scar and be sure to keep us posted on your progress. Cheers.

HT#1 4944FU 23May06-Hasson

HT#2 1960FU 16Jan07- Hasson

6904 Total FU, 13160 Hairs

2184-1's, 3184-2's, 1536-3's

B Spot : Thanks for the comments... You bring up some interesting questions I wish I had the answers for, all I can do is speculate though like you.

Assuming a breakdown of the multi's as 75% double, 20% triple, 5% quad..that would yield 5588, 2395 and 798 hairs respectively, plus the 1836 single grafts = 10,617 total hairs...Just a 'guesstimate'..

It wasn't brought up that I have lower density, but it was brought up by Dr. Hasson that my 40-45 grafts/cm2 will look like a lot of other patient's 50 grafts/cm2 due to the hair thickness/wavyness.

S-n-P: I take it being a Jughead is a good thing :>...I think one thing that helped was I did vigorous scalp exercises for 2-3 months before the procedure...I would place my elbows on a table and use it as leverage to get a really good stretch on the scalp. After some time, the way my scalp shifted as I moved it back and forth changed, I could tell it had loosened up some...

Unfortunately the scar I have has stretched a bit :/ Its about 3-4mm at some points on the sides..I started weight training 3 weeks out, relatively light, but apparently my skin is prone to stretching when healing. I'll attach a day 45 pic here to show you what I'm talking about...I've since stopped weight lifting. I may be going in for another surgery in about a years time depending on the results, if I do...I'll fix the scar issue with the 2nd transplant.

*One other stat I forgot to mention, the grafts were split up evenly between the front and back 1/2 of my head because apparently my head is narrower towards the front.

Don't do any scalp exercises for at least 6 months........once you do start though, it will seem insanely tight!! Just keep doing the exercises on a daily basis once you start back. I kinda screwed up by not doing quite enough stretching ( though I thought that I had done enough). I suppose it is like money. you can never have enough!! Last thought, , with your scar at its current size, your donor harvest may be impacted for HT #2....again, good luck my friend. Cheers

HT#1 4944FU 23May06-Hasson

HT#2 1960FU 16Jan07- Hasson

6904 Total FU, 13160 Hairs

2184-1's, 3184-2's, 1536-3's

S-n-P: I think I may be a freak or something because my scalp laxity seems to be at 90% of what it was before already....My sclap is especially elastic on my sides(where the scar is the widest)...I know that the size of the scar is going to impact the yield even still, but hopefully I can somewhat make up for it from a bit more exercising...

Mikeman,

Great documentation on your journey, you will be a showcase patient in a few months!

Scar stretching is many times just due to the individuals response to healing, lifting wieghts is certainly not recommended during this time. Tension can be a factor but not the only one. According to Dr. Bernstiens research, there is a laxity phenomina which occurs with patients with very high laxity or loose scalps. It appears the reason they are so lax is that the underlying tissue lacks some of the connective tissue. This lack of tissue makes the scar area form with less strength and therfore more suseptible to breakdown or stretching. I may not have all the terms straight here but you get the idea. Check out Bernstiens site reference or research section to find it. It is interesting.

Now, having said all that, you look great and your scar will be undetectable anyway as long as you do not shave down.

Also, you may not even need that second HT after things have grown in.

Look forward to seeing your progress,

NoBuzz

NoBuzz: Thanks man..That information is interesting, thanks for sharing...I guess that is the reason.

BTW, B Spot...I contacted H&W and found out that it was not recorded how many 3 and 4 follicular unit grafts were harvested from me and also that you were right in your assessment of my donor density(70-80 grafts per cm/2). My hair was apparently more dense at the back and less so at the sides, the hair diameter must have also had something to do with the fewer grafts per square cm...

Mike,

Thanks for posting the pics..............really impressive growth in such a short period of time. You must be thrilled! Looks like this should give you nice coverage when all grows in.

Be sure to post your progress if you can.

Congrats on the progress!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Thanks for following up on that Mike--- I appreciate it buddy.

I look forward to seeing your updates and I wish you continued good growth!!!!!!!!!

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Mikeman!

Great documentary of your progress. I must admit, I was slightly jealous of your strong temples. Photos 12 & 14 truly show how no work was needed in that area. Once this thickens up fully, it should look great!

Here's to happy growing!

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Hairbank..Thanks buddy, I'll keep you posted on my progress...

M&M...My temples were gone man :> Well, there was SOME hair there but it was very, very sparse...It was built back up by Dr.Hasson. I think the confusion might come in because Dr. Hasson actually had to construct my hairline HIGHER than where my current hairline was in order to be conservative..He told me that I'd have to shave some stragglers. The end result is my hairline is a bit lower than most other H&W patients which I'm guessing is what you're perceiving.

I'm looking forward to my hairline growing in so I can comb the front up... it hasn't started coming in yet.

Originally posted by Mikeman:

Hairbank..Thanks buddy, I'll keep you posted on my progress...

M&M...My temples were gone man :> Well, there was SOME hair there but it was very, very sparse...It was built back up by Dr.Hasson. I think the confusion might come in because Dr. Hasson actually had to construct my hairline HIGHER than where my current hairline was in order to be conservative..He told me that I'd have to shave some stragglers. The end result is my hairline is a bit lower than most other H&W patients which I'm guessing is what you're perceiving.

I'm looking forward to my hairline growing in so I can comb the front up... it hasn't started coming in yet.

Mikeman,

I think I mis-typed a bit. I should have said your temple 'points', not your temples. Hopefully that makes more sense!

That was interesting that he transplanted higher than your existing hairline. Now that I look closely at a few of the enlarged photos, I see what you mean. You're fortunate, though, that you didn't have any prior work as I had to have my hairline slightly lowered just to hide the previous poor pluggy work...

Things will look great in a matter of months!

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Mikeman, your photos look great, IMO you had excellent surgery and your hair is growing really fast.

I have a couple of questions about your fast growth. Do you use MSM? Do you drink alcohol? Did you use vitamin 3 oil after your surgery?

It's Only Hair: Thanks man, I hope it continues at this rate....

I use 3000mg of MSM daily, as well as 1/4 proscar...I believe these have contributed to the fast growth. I know that I used to have a lot of miniaturized hairs in my crown which have thickened up over the last few months.

I don't drink too often...maybe one friday night every 2-3 weeks...

About the vitamin E oil...I did use that but started a little over a week after the surgery and only for 3 weeks or so..

Originally posted by Mikeman:

Thanks Bill :> I was wondering at the 2 1/2 month mark because nothing much seemed to be happening...It's amazing how much can change in just 2 weeks..

Now THAT'S the update I've been looking for! (speaking as one who's right at the 2 1/2 month mark).

Great documentation Mikeman. Yours will be one to watch, for sure.

2967 Total Grafts w/ Dr. Cooley on 1/3/07 [1st HT]

Hair Count = 5,427

My Hair Loss Weblog

mikeman, thank you so much for posting your pics.

I'm 3 days away from removing my staples. Few questions for you (and anyone else who might know).

for starters, are you still numb in any areas? I know it's normal at this stage (11 days out)...but I'm wondering when the feeling comes back.

How did your staple removal go? did you soak your head? any advice?

Lastly - shock loss. Did you have it, and if yes, when did it happen?

Thanks again for the pics...I was VERY curious what my head would look like right after the staples came out.

regards,

Hair_Tomorrow

4700 fu w/Dr. Hasson on 3/1/07

Hey Hair Tomorrow..

Well, my staple removal....I went to a walk-in clinic since my regular Dr. was on vacation....What ended up happening was I only had every other staple removed since they thought over there that there was 'excessive oozing' during the removal. It was day 11, and frustrated with this decision, I removed the rest of the staples on my own, not the best idea.

Some of the staples did hurt a bit, but come on, we're men. I did soak my head a bit when I was taking out the remaining staples which helped.

Right now, I still feel a sligghht bit of numbness along the left and right sides of my strip scars, nothing major, nothing so significant that it is on my mind all the time. Most of the sensation is back. At the same time the left and right sides of my strip scar are a bit sensitive right ON the strip scar itself(the numbness is ABOVE the scar).

Shockloss...I don't think I had any significant shockloss in the recipient area...I do however have some shockloss at the donor area on the sides of my head.the strip scar shows through, that's one thing that bothers me a bit. I noticed the shockloss as the hair started growing back out. I'm hoping it will fill in sometime soon.

thanks for the info, Mikeman.

Its-only, Dr. Hasson told me wait til day 14...and I can hold off til then.

I found a product at my local pharmacy that I think will help with prevention of my donor scar from stretching. Curad make a "spray" bandage...

http://www.curadusa.com/products/product_info.asp?SubCa...Id=2&ProductCatId=38

I've been using it for two days. It's almost like invisible glue. I like the fact that the spray keeps the area clean, and hopefully it'll hold things together after the staples come out.

Stings a little, but's it's very firm...I'll take some pics when the staples come out.

Thanks again for the info!

4700 fu w/Dr. Hasson on 3/1/07

Personally I'd rather err on leaving them in too long then for too short a time It's Only Hair, better safe than sorry.

Hair Tomorrow, that seems like a liquid bandage to use on areas where traditional band-aids are not feasable..but who knows, it might do something..