For People that have been using propecia..

Anonymous

have been looking at other forums, no doubt about it that other people have said propecia is effective and has stopped hair loss. But does it hinder hair to REGROW? Just thinking of it theoretically because if it stops hair loss, than would it stop hair to grow?

So for those that have been using propecia.. have you experienced lost hair to regrow back.. anybody at all???

Thanks in advance..

Regimen: 5% Minoxidil twice a day (morning and night) on front hairline, Proscar (broken into 5 pieces) one piece every night. MSM 1000 Mg, Zinc 30 Mg, Vitamin E, Multi-Vitamin.

Baby Shampoo for showering.

have been looking at other forums, no doubt about it that other people have said propecia is effective and has stopped hair loss. But does it hinder hair to REGROW? Just thinking of it theoretically because if it stops hair loss, than would it stop hair to grow?

So for those that have been using propecia.. have you experienced lost hair to regrow back.. anybody at all???

Thanks in advance..

Regimen: 5% Minoxidil twice a day (morning and night) on front hairline, Proscar (broken into 5 pieces) one piece every night. MSM 1000 Mg, Zinc 30 Mg, Vitamin E, Multi-Vitamin.

I don't follow your logic here regarding growth inhibition. In any case - some people experience moderate regrowth - but in vast majority it's only in the crown area, so don't get your hopes up on regrowing hair in the front. You'll definitely should be able to slow down, or even stop your hairloss though.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke

• 2 weeks later...

hey microprose or anyone else, hope your still reading this topic but my logic.. was that i was thinking of propecia as a "barrier".. stops hair from falling out.. but also prevents new hair from growing out..

sorry if that came out wrong, i just got proscar though, can anyone tell me how to take it?

Thanks in advance.

propecia doesn't freeze your hair in it's track. It prevents alpha reductase from converting into DHT which causes hair to shrink and become vellous which is basically useless tiny blond hairs. By stopping this enzyme hair follicles can get larger and give you more coverage. Many times hair that is greatly minitaurized cannot be recovered, but hair that isnn't too shrunken can be saved. This is why often propecia seems to stop hairloss but not grow new hair. It is saving the hair that doesn't have one foot in the grave or just plain dead. If you are lucky it can grow back hair that is even vellous but that is less common. Apparently DHT's potency changes over time and can overcome propecia in some people, but it def lets you hold onto your hair much longer in many cases.

minaturized follicles...looked at my hair follicles.. (not sure the exact name, just where the hair grows out at the roots) and i can start seeing these DOTS where each hair follicle is coming out.. is this a bad sign? Does this mean that those strand of hairs are thinning? My other hair roots around my scalp don't have the DOTS near the surface where it grows out..

Can anyone tell me what it means..sorry if it came out wrong, i'll try to explain it better if no one gets back... Thanks in advance.

(for bluesman: Proscar is the cheaper version of propecia, so isntead of taking the whole pill, just cut it up 4 ways and take 1/4 once a day.)

http]//www.hair-restoration-info.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]for bluesman: Proscar is the cheaper version of propecia, so isntead of taking the whole pill, just cut it up 4 ways and take 1/4 once a day.)

I realize this. that is what I'm doing but a 1/4 pill every OTHER eday is something I never heard of.

I have been on 1/4 proscar every other day for 10 months now and I still have frontal and vertex hairloss. Should that be stopping sometime?? I heard you should stay on it for at least a year to see results.

I have seen several posts on here where doctors suggest Proscar is just as effective taken every other day as it is taken daily.

From what I know of Finasteride's (the active ingredient in both Proscar and Propecia) efficacy curve, this makes sense, but I still have yet to try it.

Finasteride has both a long half-life and a fairly flat top-end efficacy curve. What that means is that you don't need to take daily doses for it to remain active in your bloodstream, and higher doses produce incrementally smaller returns. I don't remember the exact figures, so what I'm quoting next would be purely hypothetical for example purposes only.

Say you are taking 1mg of Finasteride daily, and this supresses 90% of DHT. If you were to take 3mg Finasteride daily, it would only supress 91% of DHT, and 5mg daily would only supress 92% of DHT. Your improvement is far out of proportion to your dosage once you've reached an effective level. That effective level may well be 1.25 mg every other day. Doing this would cut your costs in half. Perhaps now that I've been laid off, this would be the time to try that strategy, huh?!?

Tedd