From Captain - I had my consult ladies! (and a question for all!)

Hey everyone - for some reason I cannot reply to my original post titled "Are there any women on here?" But I did want to fill you in that I did have my consultation with Dr. Edwin Epstein in Richmond last week. Well, I didn't actually see him, but I didn't call to specifically ask to see him either but I would think he would have if I wanted. I just really wanted to hear what they had to say in general and then decide if I wanted to come back.

Well, as many of you have posted, I am not a candidate for HT at this time. I still have too much hair (which I am incredibly grateful for). Because I am in my child bearing years and haven't had kids yet, I am not able to take most of the items on the market. He said that it is true that if you do stop taking Rogaine, that the new hair will fall out. He doesn't think the growth is significant enough to even use the Rogaine.

He said I definitely have the beginning of hereditary thinning from my mom, and that on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst, that my thinning level is only at a 3. I pray to God that it stays this way for the next 10 years! He did give me Topic - which I am sure many of you are familiar with and I believe will be REALLY helpful to some of you other women with light thinning on the crown.

You know how you have those certain spots that just bother you b/c the light reflects on them and you can just see that it is thinner? Well, i have dark hair and very fair skin, so mine stands out more than most. The topic is the same color as my hair and it is like a little salt shaker that you put on your scalp and it makes your hair look SO dense! it totally hides the scalp! I love it.

Here is my final part and big question to those of you out there. He said there is new technology that you can do with light therapy. Basically the sun thickens the hair shaft making it fuller and thicker. You can buy a brush that you use twice a day and brush through your hair for 15 minutes and it will have the same effect. it has a red blinking light on it. it is $300. Does anyone know anything about this or if it works? I trust this office but just didn't want to buy a light up brush if it is just a crock.

Any feedback would be great! And ladies - I am here to chat anytime. I know how you feel. I always feel like I would rather have acne or be overweight since those are things you can actually control these days.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone - i am looking forward to hearing how your consult goes "what else"!

Captain

Captain,

The recent threads on the Laser Comb have sparked my interest, too. I've posted a few questions and done a little research and, at this point, am still a skeptic. I would "Love" to see before and after results as you see occasionally for Propecia which shows hair thickening over time.

Good luck in your research. Please post anything helpful that you find.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.