Propecia With Rogain

SocialD

I'm 25, I've been loosing hair slowly now for about four years. I've noticed my hair receading in the front of my scalp (not too bad) but just resently I've noticed that my scalp is very visible on the crow around the top part of the cowlick.

A while ago I purchased Rogain but disscontinued use after I was fed up with puting the stuff on my two times a day and found out from people that once a day was no good.

I've been taking Propecia for about three weeks now and was woundering if I could use the remaining rogain with propecia the get the hair folicals going then when the rogain runs out continue with propecia?

Thank You guys Very Much!

I'm 25, I've been loosing hair slowly now for about four years. I've noticed my hair receading in the front of my scalp (not too bad) but just resently I've noticed that my scalp is very visible on the crow around the top part of the cowlick.

A while ago I purchased Rogain but disscontinued use after I was fed up with puting the stuff on my two times a day and found out from people that once a day was no good.

I've been taking Propecia for about three weeks now and was woundering if I could use the remaining rogain with propecia the get the hair folicals going then when the rogain runs out continue with propecia?

Thank You guys Very Much!

Hi SocialD,

Unfortunately Minoxidil (Rogaine) and Finasteride (Propecia) work differently so the hair that you grew or helped maintain with Rogaine will not be maintained Propecia. Both are treatments (not cures) and will require you to stay on them indefinately in order to maintain the benefits.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Its up to you, if it looks like you are running the risk of having a depleted donor than it may be worth the inconvenience as you wont have the option to go back in time once all is lost. Otherwise if Propecia is working well for you alone and you dont run the risk of a depleted donor than I dont think the messy regime is worth it.

Dr Lee from minoxidil.com suggests that any regrowth you will get from minoxidil will come within the first 2-3 years after that you can drop down to 1 application a day to maintain what you have.

2-3 at two times a day then once a day after that, I could deal with that. There's got to be a better way to apply the stuff over the dropper(no matter how slow I go it always want's to drip). I've read that people have used small spray bottles, do you guys have any experence with the spray bottle? Also for someone that's thinning like me will my hair that's there block the mist? I'm mainly looking for something quick in the morning, spray, comb, off to work.

Hi Sociald,

I've never heard of a spray but I heard minoxidil is now available in a foam format which is less greasy and irritating. You may also be interested in the minoxidil applicator which promises to be a more effective way to apply Minox though I havent used it myself:

http://www.regrowhair.com/non-surgical-hair-loss-treatm...pply-your-minoxidil/

Other than that minoxidil.com has a 12.5% clean feeling, non-greasy solution that may be useful.

In the past when I've bought rogaine, or a generic monoxidil, it has come with both droppers and spray attachement. Both are messy.

I'm using the foam, but only temporarily as I've just had an HT.

Now I would like to ask JakeVig why propecia grown hair would not be maintained by Rogaine since even tho they use different approaches, both strengthen hair susceptible to MPB? So why wouldn't one do the same as the other?

mark h

Hi Mark,

Propecia maintains hair by reducing the formation of DHT which is the cause of male patterned baldness when it attaches itself to genetically susceptible hair follicles, i.e it is a DHT inhibitor.

Minoxidil on the other hand is not a DHT inhibitor, no one knows how exactly minoxidil works. Initially scientists believed that it worked by stimulating blood flow to the follicle, but since other vasodilators do not stimulate hair growth this is unlikely the reason. The latest research indicates that it may work by opening potassium channels in the cells of the follicle. Although however it works one thing is clear, when you discontinue Minoxidil treatment you will lose the hair that it helped grow or maintain regardless if you are on Propecia or not.

• 2 weeks later...

The idea behind the Rogaine applicator is so it penetrates it into the scalp. It is necessary to get it rubbed in, but if you use your fingers it becomes somewhat absorbed into the hand.

If you choose to purchase it you can do so at spencerforest.com.

The applicator does seem to work, it tends to work best if you spray the medication or use the dropper to the scalp and then rub it in with the applicator.

I am the patient coordinator for Dr. Scott Alexander in Phoenix, Arizona. Dr. Alexander's Coalition Membership Profile

What I've been reading is that Propecia and Rogaine can be complimentary, and that the best results may be obtained using both.

The above seems to be surmise and emperical observation rather than careful science, since the Propecia and Rogaine folks apparently have never gotten together to do a study.

However, it appears that Rogaine can work more efficiently when Propecia reduces the levels of DHT in the system.

Some of the more prominent HT doctors recommended on this site appear to support the notion.

mark h