classmate that is bald

hoose

This kid I went to school with use to always make fun of me in high school about my hair; I had really fine hair/high forehead; he always told me I would be bald when I was 20; I've got a bald spot etc..It use to upset me cause he would say it in front of everybody etc..He said he would never go bald because he had thick hair. Anyway, I've had a HT and have been on Propecia for 5+ years. I seen him at our 10 year reunion and he was almost totally bald on top. I wanted to make a comment so bad about his hair loss, but he was being so nice and friendly to me that I didn't. Anyway, not to sound crued, but I was laughing to myself about it. It was bittersweet, because I didn't forget how it would ruin my day when he made those comments back in school. Just thought I would share that story.

This kid I went to school with use to always make fun of me in high school about my hair; I had really fine hair/high forehead; he always told me I would be bald when I was 20; I've got a bald spot etc..It use to upset me cause he would say it in front of everybody etc..He said he would never go bald because he had thick hair. Anyway, I've had a HT and have been on Propecia for 5+ years. I seen him at our 10 year reunion and he was almost totally bald on top. I wanted to make a comment so bad about his hair loss, but he was being so nice and friendly to me that I didn't. Anyway, not to sound crued, but I was laughing to myself about it. It was bittersweet, because I didn't forget how it would ruin my day when he made those comments back in school. Just thought I would share that story.

DHoose,

When I was began losing my hair in high school back in the early 80s I had to put up with a lot of flak from guys whose only problem back then was keeping it out of their eyes. This hurt my feelings and made me even more embarassed and self conscious. I realize now that as teenagers we were still young and immature and I probably would have done the same thing.

I'm sure many of them have caught up with or even surpassed me in the years since. Actually next year will be my 25th HS reunion and it will be interesting to see indeed if I go.

After dealing with this issue as long as I have I'm a firm subscriber to the old adage "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger".

I think you took the high road by not making a snide comment to your former classmate even though it was very tempting and may have given you some temporary gratification to do so. You are the better man for it.

Phil

Hi

Yes, it is amazing what people look like after 10 years .. I've seen many from my class and even those with thick hair have non now.. It's nuts!!

You should have said to him "Man, you look different".. That would have been great!!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Dhoose,

You could have told him how 'genuinely' sorry you were about his hair and asked him to try propecia or recommended a HT procedure with a top doctor.

That way you could have made sure to bring up the topic of his hair while also doing him a good turn icon_wink.gif

icare4myhair

2523 grafts - Dr.Ron Shapiro, Sep7, 2006

GRAFT STATISTICS

1hair -#grafts,#hairs- 450 , 450

2hair -#grafts,#hairs-1373, 2746

3hair -#grafts,#hairs- 650 , 1950

4hair -#grafts,#hairs- 50 , 200

TOTAL-#grafts,#hairs-2523, 5346

My Hair Loss Weblog

It is amazing. People can be so cruel to pick on our imperfections. I actually had an experience similar to this with a co-worker. He made fun of my bald spot a few years ago before any HTs, and now he (and he only being 21 years old now) is developing a rapidly growing bald spot, which means he's starting earlier than I did at my age. I DID end up saying something, ended up joking with him about as he did with me, and I must admit, there was a part of me out for vengeance. I'm not sure if he really struggles with it...most people, including myself, blow it off when we are made fun of about it.

Sadly, however, we often take the criticisms of our physical imperfections as false truths about ourselves...somehow relating baldness or some other issue to being a failure or not desirable, lovable, wanted, strong, you name it we've dealt with it. It always amazes me when I see bald men who seem confident in who they are, yet they still get women. This tells me something. Confidence should NOT come from how much hair we have. It should come from who we are as a man (or woman), who we were designed to be. Let's get our HTs to improve how we look just as if we would go to the gym to better our bodies...but let's NEVER gain all our security in how we look, but in who we are as men or women.

Bill

Nice follow-up Bill..........I agree completely. I've been in the same situation, when I was around 30 years of age the most noticable part of my loss was a balding crown. I had a women co-worker who used to tease me about it and, while I didn't care for it, I just laughed and blew it off.

Let's face it, eventually, we'll all be old and gray (if we're fortunate enough to live that long). A full head of hair is great but you have to put in it prospective. I'm happy with my decision to have the HT's I've had and like having no B-spot (no offense to "The B-Spot), but my joy in life and confidence in my self doesn't come from them.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Amen. You guys seem to get the big picture. Restoration isnt about ego or to be arrogant, but to improve your inner self. Confidence comes from with in, and whos to say how you get there. For some its money, a nice car, or job status. For us guys its a good head of hair.

Buts thats a small part of being happy. I thought after my hair was restored I would be a different guy, but I was wrong. Still shy and reserved. Restoring my hair was like getting something back I already had, and then work on the inner self thats gives us our confidence to make us complete