Holy Crap Help!!

Hi guys,

I am 3 days post op from HT with Dr Charles.

I had my hairline and front third done.

Previously there were about 1800-2000 grafts done by Dr Nusbaum 7 years ago.

Well tonight I was combing my hair and couldnt believe how many hairs fell out! Not the newly transplanted hair with scabs but my existing hair.

Anyone ever experience shock like this so soon?

Hi guys,

I am 3 days post op from HT with Dr Charles.

I had my hairline and front third done.

Previously there were about 1800-2000 grafts done by Dr Nusbaum 7 years ago.

Well tonight I was combing my hair and couldnt believe how many hairs fell out! Not the newly transplanted hair with scabs but my existing hair.

Anyone ever experience shock like this so soon?

Guest Cousin_It

From what area, the recipient or donor? Sounds way to soon for any shock loss.

When you say combing your hair I am sure you mean in the donor area, right? Try to give us more info on exactly what is happening.

Guest Cousin_It

I don't know exactly what you had done to the recipient area, but should you be combing it so soon, its only 3 days. Did he not buzz the hair in this area before he added the new hair? How much work was just done? Was it addded for density or just fill in areas like the hairline?

Guest Cousin_It

Ok, didn't see you posted again. That sounds really weird to me. Since it is old transplanted hair, I am sure it will grow back, but happening so soon is very odd. You may want to call your doctor and explain this to him and see if he has an explanation.

Guest Cousin_It

Seem like you shock very early, mine did not begin falling till after by staples were out. Did the new hairs come in early too?

Guest Cousin_It

If the hair coming out is old transplanted hair, it will be back for sure. If it is your original hair, maybe it was due to fall out soon..are you taking propecia?

Panther,

I'm just seeing this post. I know that people experience shockloss at different times, though I admit, I haven't heard of someone experiencing shockloss so early. You may want to call your doctor tomorrow to see what he has to say about it, if not anything else, just for peace of mind. I admit, I too would be concerned if I saw this happening and would have not problems asking quesitons of my doctor.

On a side note: I hope and trust that when you are combing your hair, you are not touching the scabs or newly transplanted hairs with your comb. I strongly suggest that you don't comb your hair if you can avoid it until day 7 where the grafts are more firmly in place.

Bill

Hi

I wouldnt be combing my hair this early as is instructed in most post op directions.. Could b shockloss though..

Call your doc

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Guest Cousin_It

Panther...

Have you spoken to your doctor about the problem? If so, did he shed any light on it? I would be curious to know why you had a fallout so early.

• Administrators

Panther,

Given that Dr. Charles does use a minimally invasive technique, in general shock loss to pre-existing hair has generally been reduced. But apparently you are experiencing fallout early on.

The good news is that since this hair was transplanted it should regrow after the typical 3 to 4 month resting cycle ends and the growth cycle resumes.

I encourage you to contact Dr. Charles to ask him for his input. We'd all like to hear his response.

Hang in there and remember that like home remodling, hair restoration surgery can some times be one step back to move ahead several steps later.

Best wishes for a great final result.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Hi Pat,

I did call Dr Charles today who wasn't the least bit concerned and said this has occurred before. He did warn me not to use any combs or tug the existing hair in anyway which I was doing! I was trying to comb my hair and cover the grafts before I had to work and all of the exisiting hair was falling out!

Dr Charles being the awesome surgeon and friend as well, invited me to use his lasers to stregnthen the exisiting hair at no cost.

After 6 surgeries I still know nothing I guess!!

panther-

Glad to hear you followed up with the Doc and he said all is okay. I hadn't heard of shock so soon but it just goes to show that we all keep learning on the journey to hair restoration!!

Keep us posted on your progress.............hope you grow fast, my friend! icon_wink.gif

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Just to clarify. I am always concerned when a patient calls to tell me they are worried about something. Luckily, in most cases there is a reasonable explanation as to why that event is occuring. In this case I explained to the patient that although shock loss is not common this soon after the procedure, it does happen occationally. In the first month or so after the surgery the original hairs in the transplanted area are more fragile. This is most likely due to the new grafts needing a greater blood supply which in turn steals from the surrounding native hairs. Therefore, it is wise not to pull or tug on any hairs in a recently transplanted area. I am confident that in time any previously transplanted hairs that fall out due to shock will all return in addition to the newly transplanted hairs.

panther,

please do keep us posted. This is something I am worried about for when I have my second HT. Hopefully your new HT hair and old HT hair will sprout this Spring.

What sort of percentage of your old HT hair do you estimate has dropped out?

I will be getting shaved down for my second HT (as with HT #1) but I was counting on all the HT #1 hair growing back and staying there... All the hair directly behind my recipient area grew back quickly and stayed there after my first HT.

I think anytime you transplant around existing hairs, whether HT or native hair, you run serious risk of shock loss. In most cases and definitely in the case of HT hair, it will come back....it's just a matter of time.

In my experience from HT #2, I had some hair transplanted around HT hair from HT #1 and did experience some shock loss. The shocked HT hair from HT #1 started growing back at 2 months and 1 week.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.