The risk of Propecia

Hoping

Virtually everybody around here recommends Propecia, as do doctors and the drug manafacturer as being totally safe. A few things you need to keep in mind. There have been virtually no studies with very long term, extended use of Propecia, so who knows what happens after you take it for ten years. Additionally, Propecia in greater doses, was prescribed for men with enlarged prostates. And studies have shown that Propecia reduces the risk of Prostate cancer. On the bad end, those taking Propecia for prostate enlargement who got prostate cancer, got a much more aggressive kind. So Propecia may well be safe, but maybe not totally safe. I decided to take it myself but I am now fifty-one. I would be more concerned about taking it in my twenties, looking at possibly taking it for fifty or more years. But I also recognize how devastating hair loss can be, especially when very young, and how most of us might take the risk to keep our hair. Just a thought.

Virtually everybody around here recommends Propecia, as do doctors and the drug manafacturer as being totally safe. A few things you need to keep in mind. There have been virtually no studies with very long term, extended use of Propecia, so who knows what happens after you take it for ten years. Additionally, Propecia in greater doses, was prescribed for men with enlarged prostates. And studies have shown that Propecia reduces the risk of Prostate cancer. On the bad end, those taking Propecia for prostate enlargement who got prostate cancer, got a much more aggressive kind. So Propecia may well be safe, but maybe not totally safe. I decided to take it myself but I am now fifty-one. I would be more concerned about taking it in my twenties, looking at possibly taking it for fifty or more years. But I also recognize how devastating hair loss can be, especially when very young, and how most of us might take the risk to keep our hair. Just a thought.

Hi Hoping it's a fair point that you're making...there isn't much out there about long term side effects. I'm 34 and have just bought a supply of Proscar and a pill cutter...but I haven't started on it yet. I read on Dr True's website (http://www.truedorin.com/medicaltreatment.php) that "Men over the age of 35 need to have a prostate exam and PSA test before starting Propecia."

I also remember reading somewhere that being on Propecia reduces the effectiveness of prostate cancer tests, or to put it another way the ability to detect prostate cancer.