Cutting the hair

Cutting the hair

I am 3 months post op and have been trimming the news hairs to stay short so they grow evenly and it is less noticeable. What have you guys done to make it less noticeable? Is it OK to cut the growing hairs while they are still short? Do you friends and co-workers notice is while it is growing in?

Cutting the hair

I am 3 months post op and have been trimming the news hairs to stay short so they grow evenly and it is less noticeable. What have you guys done to make it less noticeable? Is it OK to cut the growing hairs while they are still short? Do you friends and co-workers notice is while it is growing in?

Once I had the staples removed, I just had a #3 buzz and had them manually cut down the rest to even out. Of course, I let my donor hair grow for 4 months before surgery to allow adequate coverage of the scar. When you get your haircut after surgery, you could look for businesses who are used to dealing with hair transplants to cut your hair (Apollo hair systems, hairclub, etc.)since they also specialize in blending systems with natural hair, I found they are experts at blending in donor sites with the hair you have for tighter haircuts. I just made appts with them saying I'm just calling to schedule a haircut--go in, explain what you had done; and it's business as usual. Good Luck!

Ditto what Mike said.

The "hair club" hairdressers were very friendly, and perhaps they were just baiting me a bit, commented "this natural hair looks so much nicer than a rug". I would be very careful to "not" cut the back very short till the short hair surrounding the scar grows out...the hair "shelf" still looks better than a visable scar, unless of course you have told your friends etc..or dont care. Once it healed it was very hard to find my scar.

Once my HT grew out, nobody had a clue as to my having any HT work performed and I go to my "old" regular hairdresser, or if in a hurry, one of the quickie places such as Supercuts.

Can you cut the donor sight while it is still short. Mine looks like a "five-o-clock" shadow on my hairline and I keep thinking people will notice, but no one says anything. It almost looks like I am just "thinning" there. Did anyone notice yours? I am thinking about getting a buzz haircut so it all grows evenly and stays unoticeable. Would you all go to that extreme?

donor scar and hair,

A buzz-cut will definately even out the donor area hair, however you may see the un-healed scar, So depends on personal choice. In my case it took a few scissor style hair cuts (over a few weeks time..) to even the hair length in the back. I chose to keep my HT confidential.

I think as time goes on HT will be perceived as an acceptable norm, and perhaps people will not have to "worry" about being detected. Sure beats bein' bald !!

NW,

Making sure noone at work knows that I had a HT is a huge concern of mine. Did anyone know about your HT? How much time did you take off before returning?

JB

Hi JoeBlow,

In my case, I shed real bad because I transplanted into an area of exsisting hair...so in full honesty I looked thinner on top until about the 10-12 week point, it was then that my resident hair and new grafts started filling back in gradually.

Many say 2 weeks is enough, this is not true in "EVERY" case., you could have 3 months of hell waiting. I will also point out that I would do the HT again in a hearbeat..it was well worth the wait.