BBC Watchdog report- Advanced Hair Studio Laser therapy

Yes this is the same doc I steered several patients away from for this very thing--- each of them FIRST paying 1500+ dollars for laser treatment, and then going back in for a much needed hair transplant.

Thankfully each of these young men were able to bring these issues to light on another forum and were steered away.

A GREAT DAY for the internet.

However, we are unable to help so many people, because they will not listen to anyone but their local doc.

Thanks Dr. Feller,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhode,

Thanks for the link. I must say that I am SHOCKED. I know Dr. Leonard. Even had a scotch with him at one of the meetings a few years back. I am shocked that he is using "infra-red" light to regrow hair. Do you all know what "infra-red" light is? Of course you do...it's a HEATING LAMP!!!!

Why not just use a hair dryer or a french fry warmer!!!

His credibility just sunk through the floor with me. It's a shame. A real shame.

There is not even a point in calling him and asking him about this. There is just no defense.

To ALL patients and potential patients out there, please understand that not all doctors fleece their patients in this manner. It may be legal, but it shouldn't be.

This is a sad day for HT doctors.

I'm REALLY not sure I understand why credible doctors are buying into laser therapy.

There appears to be NO evidence of it actually working (combining it with 2 proven products - finasteride and minoxodil - doesn't count) by itself.

I've attempted to find some scientific information on why/how laser therapy works, but I've come up empty handed. However, the most commonly used like is "now FDA approved" which makes me clench my fists in anger.

Ah well...time to hit the heavy bag icon_wink.gif

Bill

Just an update on my claim via small claims court against AHS.

They have today entered a defence online and i`m just waiting for confirmation by post and a court date.

And i`m still waiting for Maueve to get in touch with me again as per her post earlier in this thread. This was with Head Office apparently reviewing my request again.

I look forward to the court date and will go with all my evidence and let the courts see for themselves.

I`ll keep all updated.

Chris

Just a thought......

Are other people allowed in to the small claim court when my case is being heard?

I`ve been speaking to someone who i would like to cover the whole story. Also any recommendations from you guys as to who to notify in any official capacity?

Thanks in advance.

I'm a film/video maker.

I've made docos before.

I'd love to make on AHS.

If that was posted online and youtube etc they would loose their business.

And all I'd have to do is tell the truth which they cant fight with facts.

Its very tempting.

quick update.

I`ve now received a copy of their defence.

Just filling in the court questionnaire which is to be sent off and then await a court date.

It appears a pretty routine defence with no mention/answers of the questions i put to them regarding peer reviewed evidence etc..

If anyone wants to contribute their thoughts pls feel free.

Hi UKDrummer

Please contact Maeve Duhy (Client Relations Manager Advanced Hair Studio) Tel: 02920 227 285.

Many Thanks

I am the Customer relations manager for Advanced Hair Studio

Dear Parable

I would like to advise that I have managed to help certain individuals obtain a refund or Partial refund, however, this is only possible depending on the circumstances. It is however slightly difficult should I have a request from a client who had there treatment several years ago. I.e: 2003-2005: So, again, I would like to leave my details: maeveduhy@advancedhairstudio.com or 02920 227 285.

Many thanks

Maeve Duhy (Client Relations) Advanced Hair Studio

Good luck my friend. Funny how their posts seemed so willing to give refunds, but also funny how patients of theirs have to go to court to get their money back...

Guess they aren't as helpful as they seem (big surprise) icon_wink.gif

Bill

I am the Customer relations manager for Advanced Hair Studio

Maeve Duhy

I know a lot about the company that you represent, and despite your attempts to paint the face of respectability, you are the worst outfit that I've ever had the misfortune to become involved with. Advanced is a company driven by greed, with very few scruples to hold them back. It almost seems that there's a certain gratification about trying to shaft customers in whatever way they can think of, and they never fail to amaze me of the depth to which they will stoop.

It's well documented about how AHS screw the vulnerable for thousands for a cheap Asian toupee, by dressing it up as a revolutionary strand-by-strand procedure that "replaces your hair the same way that you lost it". Or how they charge thousands for Minoxidil by combining it with unproven laser and serenoa. But their unethical behaviour stoops much lower than this.

Want me to list a few examples? I've heard a number of instances where clients have been asked to tell others that the laser treatment has worked for them when it did not. I know one laser client who was promised s-by-s if laser didn't work, but then Advanced wanted another grand due to an increase in "supplier's costs", even though these hairpieces only cost Advanced a 2-figure sum to purchase. I could go on all day, and some of what I know shows a very DARK side to this company. But I am aware that anyone who crosses them needs to be very careful, and I don't want to push my luck.

Much has been said about refunds here, and this is one of the areas in which they really show their true colours. What hasn't been mentioned is that they only give a refund if the client signs a "release form" agreeing to keep their mouth shut. In other words, the refund is a way of buying the cooperation and silence of those who could potentially be a threat. Although you've openly invited dissatisfied clients to contact you, Ms Duhy, what do you do when a client claims to have been deceived and wants a refund, something that happens FAR more frequently that you'll care to admit? It's your standard policy to tell them to sod off, accusing them of trying to blackmail the company!

As we all know, the FDA has recently granted a clearance (yes that's "clearance", not "approval") for the Lexington Hairmax Lasercomb. But this is purely for Lexington's device, and not for any similar device. It's up to each individual company to provide their own evidence and seek their own clearance. Yet this hasn't stopped AHS from issuing an international press release just this month claiming the FDA "approval" to be a vindication that their laser works as claimed. Disgraceful!

Is it true that the British Advertising Standards has just banned yet another of your adverts www.asa.org.uk, refusing to accept Lexington's FDA clearance as proof?

In your defence, you claim to have thousands of satisfied clients worldwide, but as has already been said, anyone who doesn't formally complain is deemed to be "satisfied". But what would be the level of satisfaction if clients knew the REAL truth about what they are getting? Close to 0%, maybe?

But I'm sure that soccer player John Hartson is a satisfied client, certainly with the amount he was paid to promote the laser treatment. Whether he's happy with the results is somewhat more questionable.

http://www.celtichorizontours.com/celtichorizon/Images/...20John%20Hartson.jpg

And Austin Healey is so satisfied with his results that he's taken to wearing one of their hairpieces from time to time. Here are two photos taken of him at a similar time, one as a still for the club website, the other of him in action.

http://www.tigers.co.uk/31_284.php?PHPSESSID=7ba13daf9476af5d9db

http://www.tigers.co.uk/29_4764.php

So here's your spot-the-wig competition. Answers to maeveduhy@advancedhairstudio.com or 02920 227 285

Bald- Georgie :

That was down right inspirational.

I need to brush up on my writing skills....Naaahh.

That was Great. I remember after my botch job I was being sold on this crap.

Stick around bro.

This guy Hennessey is going to rock some bodies.

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.

Bald-Georgie,

Welcome to our community and well said.

It's disgusting how companies use and abuse the general public in order to make a buck. Sadly, the world is driven by such companies. Thankfully, communities such as these exist, where patients/consumers can speak out against the horror that they've experienced through these unethical outfits and warn others not to make the same mistakes.

What a thread like this should reveal to us and all readers is communities such as these DO make a difference. Otherwise, why would AHS be here attempting to reconcile differences? Thank God for the power of consumer/patient voice through the means of the internet.

Bill

It seems as if the truth may be starting to come out.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=t...TRUKOC_0_UK-HAIR.xml

This is a link to an article relating to an ad that AHS had banned last week by a regulating body.

Apparently they claimed Lazer cures baldness which is a lie so the ad got banned.

These criminals should be dragged out into the streets and beaten repeatedly with blunt objects.

El Quapo,

Nice link. I'd like to see more regulation on false advertising here in the US...not just about hair, but about everything. Advertisements often imply things that are false, but since they never really state it, get away with it. It's not right, but it's the way marketing seems to be. It should be 100% illegal IMO. So I'm glad to see that London is going in the right direction.

Cheers,

Bill

Power to the people Parable.

Keep posting the truth brother and stay strong.

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.

Good on ya, Parable. This is all too typical of them. If someone dares to speak out, Advanced Hair Studio's response is to see how they can silence or discredit them rather than seeing the errors of their ways.

Please do publish their lawyers' e-mail, word for word, for the rest of us to read. If everyone did this, maybe they'll think twice before employing such tactics of intimidation.

Hi Grav15

Im new on here and have researched hairloss for the past 5 years.

I also agree that Advanced Hair Studio talked nonsense. I was their patient, until I paid up thousands to be advised nothing more than what my doc told me about propecai and minoxidil. Furtherstill, they justified this cost via their laser systems whcih i thought were nonsense, and this was confirmed nby a number of other patients who i would constantly talk to during the sessions.

They are con-artists and often gave contradictory information.

My hear loss is much worse now and im still pout of pocket.

I want some refund - any advice? I am thnking of funding a site dedicated to exposing AHS, my friends too had their treatment there but to no avail.

Thanks,

Gogi

Attention El Guapo,

As previously stated my name is Chris Attrill-Client Relations Officer for Advanced Hair Studio-Australia/NewZealand.

I am concerned with the legitimacy of your statements as our records do not indicate you have contacted AHS for any form of resolution. It would appear you are part of a well planned conspiracy by our competitors to use forums such as this to discredit Advanced Hair Studio in the hope of gaining some form of advantage for your organisation.

If in fact you are not working on behalf of a competitor and your concerns are legitimate I strongly urge you to be constructive in coming forward and contacting myself via email clientrelations@advancedhair.com.au or via telephone (03) 96964044 so that your case can be reviewed.

I await your response.

Chris Attrill

Advanced Hair Studio

Chris,

In case you haven't noticed, nobody is drinking your Kool-Aid.

BTW, I saw the video clip of you folks trying to defend your "Therapy". It reminded me of the guy at the carnival trying to get you to play his game that you have no chance of winning.

When it comes to AHS, why drink kool-aid when you can drink hater-aid icon_biggrin.gif

Chris,

Your response is typical. Accuse legitimate patient posters of being part of the "competition" to somehow try to run you out of business. I have news for you...it's your promises and lack of delivery that will run you out of business. Try addressing the issues posted on this thread.

Bill

Chris Atrill

We both know that Advanced have a large number of clients who quite rightly feel aggrieved and deceived. Therefore it's easy enough to work out that these criticisms are genuine rather than being some kind of conspiracy organised by competitors.

People speaking out in this way is clearly a concern for Advanced as they use two of their standard tactics to combat it ??“ intimidate or discredit. I'm know of website owners and individuals who have suffered threats of legal action if they don't remove criticism of Advanced, and consequently much valuable comment has sadly been removed.

So if someone who feels they were deceived does contact you as you suggest, then what? You know the idea of refunding money hurts Advanced so much, and it only happens if they feel it is a sensible business decision to buy someone out.

If someone's had a bad experience with a company, then forewarning others is a very constructive move. If only more were willing to speak out and if only more did proper research before signing up. If you wanted to engage the services of a company, you would welcome the opportunity to hear the experiences of others before making such a decision. But what if this company attempted to prevent you from receiving such feedback by utilising the same tactics that Advanced do? You'd decide that it's a company best not to get involved with, I'm sure.

If you feel you can justify and defend the way you operate, then do so here on this forum, for everyone to read. Try this for a starter: why are all refunds made conditional on the signing of a release form, forbidding those from speaking publicly about their experience? What do you feel the need to do this? Surely this is hardly the action of an honest and up-front company who have full faith in the legitimacy of the manner in which they operate?

So I'm looking forward to hearing your justification, but I won't be holding my breath!