BBC Watchdog report- Advanced Hair Studio Laser therapy

yea what ever! and your job title dont do you no justice i have contacted you 5 times for a refund and you have not helped me at all. Your consultants are trained crooks and liars. I want my damn money back. I would advice anyone and everyone stay away from AHS that are full of S. I am willing to tell this to everyone, they will not give me arefund and they are in breach of contract. its been over a month. Trading standards know about this

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

I am new to this forum, and am very glad I stumbled upon this thread as it has been very enlightening...I know it dates back a few years, but I hoping it its still monitored as I am curious as to what the current opinion, as well as scientific data, is regarding LLLT and hair loss prevention/re-growth...We own a laser cnrter which is primarily geared towards auricular acupoint therapy, as well as treatment of individuals in pain (both acute and chronic), inflammed, or arthritic due to various causes, using the laser...there is a ton of science out there relating to using the laser as a modality for reducing pain, inflammation, swelling, and accelerating the healing of chronic wounds and we have had phenomenal results in both humans and animals...for the these aplications the use of LLLT has become an increasingly scientifically well-validated alternative to harmful NSAIDS and other methods...my question is in reationship to hair re-growth how does it fair as an application...I ask because we were approached to offer this treatment as an adjunct therapy to our clients...I have seen some decidely mixed reviews...I am a very firm believer in the interaction of laser light and the physiology of cellular stimulation in the human body in the capacity that I am currently using it with my clients, but am really on the fence about adding this modality as it seems the reviews are a little "iffy"...I would love to hear some current feedback...I have not been able to find a lot of science about it on the web--perhaps that should say something in-and-of-itself...lol...below I have cut and pasted a brief overview of the process of light stimulation and how it works and was wandering where hair re-growth would fit into any of it...thank you in advance...

The Process of Light Stimulation:

In the energy transfers that occur between LLLT emitted photons and the receptive chromophores found in the various cells and sub cellular organelles, compromised cells and tissues respond more readily than healthy cells or tissues. Cells and tissues that are ischemic and poorly perfused as a result of inflammation, edema and injury have been shown to have a significantly higher response to LLLT irradiation than normal healthy structures. Cell membranes, mitochondria and damaged neurological structures exhibit less than optimal metabolism and stasis conditions. Multiple studies have demonstrated that under these compromised conditions, the introduction of energy transfers and the resultant enhancement of metabolic activity is the most pronounced in biologically challenged components. While it may appear that LLLT is thus selectively targeting compromised cells, in reality, these cells exhibit a lowered reaction threshold to the effects of laser light and are more easily triggered to energy transfer responses. The result being that LLLT has a significant effect on damaged cells and tissues while normative biological constituents are appreciably less affected.

The cascade effect brought about via actions of enzymes is significant in LLLT. Since a considerable number of the reactive proteins that respond to laser stimulation are enzymes, their impact on cellular and tissue function is proportionate. Both in stimulation of beneficial enzymes and depression of deleterious enzymes, laser light action is multiplied by the cascade effect enzymes exert.

Cytochromes cytochromes can be defined as electron or proton-transfer proteins that act as energy producers for human biological functions at the cellular level. Both of the cytochrome enzymes, Cytochrome c Oxydase and Nitric Oxide Synthase (NOS) have been found to be particularly reactive to laser photon stimulation. The particular affinity of these and other photo-reactive enzymes to accelerate their functions in the presence of LLLT provides critical increases in ATP and NO which enhances cellular metabolism, circulatory improvement and nerve function.

Although the various actions of LLLT in regards to inflammation, pain and healing have been separated categorically here for the purpose of process identification, their interactions are not so easily distinguished. In response to LLLT, the reduction in inflammation, pain and healing time all compliment each other and many of the processes are either simultaneous or overlapping.

LLLT EFFECT ON ACUTE INFLAMMATION

Immediately after an acute injury event, the body, in response to the disruption of the integrity of vascular, soft tissue, connective tissue and neurological processes, initiates a series of biological responses. The inflammatory reaction consists of both vascular and cellular events. Injury responsive components such as Mast cells, Bradykinins and Prostaglandins are activated along with the vascular responses and cellular membrane reactions. All of these combined processes/events are represented by the symptoms of edema, inflammation, pain and functional debility. LLLT can be effective in mediating both the symptoms and the underlying inflammatory process by the following actions;

1. Stabilization of cellular membrane Ca++, Na+ and K+ concentrations as well as the proton gradient over the mitochondria membrane are positively influenced. This is accomplished in part by the production of beneficial ROS (Reactive Oxygen Species) wherein triplet oxygen molecules absorb laser light producing singlet oxygen molecules. These ROS modulate intracellular Ca++ concentrations and laser therapy improves Ca++ uptake in the mitochondria.

2. ATP production and synthesis are significantly enhanced, contributing to cellular repair, reproduction and functional ability. Laser stimulation of Cytochrome c Oxydase, a chromophore found on the mitochondria of cells, plays a major role in this rapid increase in production and synthesis of ATP.

3. Vasodilation is stimulated via Histamine, Nitric Oxide (NO) and Serotonin increases, resulting in reduction of ischemia and improved perfusion. Laser mediated vasodilation enhances the transport of nutrients and oxygen to the damaged cells and facilitates repair and removal of cellular debris.

4. Beneficial acceleration of leukocytic activity results in enhances removal of non-viable cellular and tissue components, allowing for a more rapid repair and regeneration process.

5. Increased Prostaglandin synthesis particularly in conversion of the prostaglandins PGG2 and PGH2 periossides into prostaglandin PGI2. PGI2 (Prostacyclin) has a vasodilating and anti-inflammatory action with some attributes similar to COX-I and COX-II inhibitors. Laser stimulation of prostaglandin PGE2 production has a beneficial effect on inflammation.

6. Reduction in Interleukin 1(IL-1) laser irradiation has a reducing effect on this pro-inflammatory cytokine that has been implicated in the pathogenesis of Rheumatoid arthritis and other inflammatory conditions.

7. Enhanced lymphocyte response In addition to increasing the number of lymphocytes, laser irradiation mediates the action of both lymphatic Helper T-cells and Suppressor T-cells in the inflammatory response. Along with laser modification of beta cell activity, the entire lymphatic response is beneficially affected by LLLT.

8. Increased angiogenesis both blood capillaries and lymphatic capillaries have been clinically documented to undergo significant increase/regeneration in the presence of laser irradiation. The resulting improvement in circulation and perfusion enhances all repair/healing processes. Laser induced increases in NO and growth fact cytokine INF-g and others are contributory to this process.

9. Temperature modulation area of inflammation typically demonstrates temperature variations with the inflamed portion having an elevated temperature. Laser therapy has been shown to accelerate temperature normalization, demonstrating its beneficial influence on the inflammatory process.

10. Enhanced superoxide dismutase (SOD) levels Laser stimulated increases in cytokine SOD levels interact with other anti-inflammatory processes to accelerate the termination of the inflammatory process. Interactions between SOD and ROS production subsequent to LLLT balance free radical activity allowing for the beneficial effects of ROS while inhibiting detrimental interactions.

11. Decreased C reactive protein and neopterin levels. laser therapy has been shown to lower the serum levels of these inflammation markers, particularly in RA patients. Decreased marker levels are indicative that the combined effects of all LLLT induced anti-inflammatory actions are effectively reducing the inflammatory process.

The cumulative effect of these multiple inter-active processes and events is an accelerated inflammatory cycle with diminished symptoms and earlier normalization.

Since LLLT does not exacerbate the inflammatory process but rather condenses the time frame from onset to resolution through acceleration of processes, it can be used immediately post injury. This rapid initiation of therapy in acute inflammation will assist in limiting the scope and duration of the inflammatory event and minimize the pain and severity associated with it.

Most of the beneficial effects seen from LLLT in the treatment of acute inflammatory events will also have medical efficacy as LLLT is initiated in more chronic inflammatory conditions. While the treatment regimen and course of therapy may be modified in chronic situations, the physiological responses and interactions remain consistent. Chronic conditions may require longer treatment times and results will vary with the patient, condition and length of the chronic condition.

LLLT EFFECT ON PAIN AMELIORATION

The unique pain reduction abilities of LLLT have been extensively researched and documented in numerous clinical studies and medical papers. While there remains much to learn in respect to the various processes through which LLLT achieves its pain reduction characteristics, there is a wealth of knowledge currently available to demonstrate the effectiveness of laser therapy in this regard.

Because the pain amelioration capabilities of LLLT are accomplished via the combination of local and systemic actions, utilizing enzymatic, chemical and physical interventions, the process is one of a complex nature. However, the preponderance of medical evidence is more than sufficient to justify the conclusion that effective pain reductions can be achieved via LLLT in the following ways;

1. Increase in b-Endorphins the localized and systemic increase of this endogenous peptide after LLLT irradiation has been clinically reported in multiple studies with subsequent pain reductions.

2. Blocked depolarization of C-fiber afferent nerves Particularly in low velocity neural pathways, such as non-mylenated afferent axons from nociceptors, the pain blocking effect of LLLT can be pronounced. Laser irradiation suppresses the excitation of these fibers in the afferent sensory pathway.

3. Increased Nitric Oxide production NO has both a direct and indirect impact on pain sensation. As a neurotransmitter it is essential for normal nerve cell action potential in impulse transmission activity. Indirectly, the vasodilation effect of NO can enhance nerve cell perfusion and oxygenation.

4. Increased nerve cell action potential Healthy nerve cells tend to operate at about 70 mV and fire at about 20 mV. Compromised cells membrane potential approximates the 20mV causing pain stimulus firing early. LLLT can help restore the action potential closer to the normal 70 mV range. Both compound muscle action potential (CMAP) values and nerve latency values have shown improvement with laser therapy.

5. Axonal sprouting and nerve cell regeneration several studies have documented the ability of LLLT to induce axonal sprouting and some nerve regeneration in damaged nerve tissues. Where pain sensation is being magnified due to nerve structure damage, cell regeneration and sprouting may assist in pain decrease.

6. Decreased Bradykinin levels since Bradykinins elicit pain by stimulating nociceptive afferents in the skin and viscera, mitigation of elevated levels through LLLT can result in pain reduction. Laser induced decrease in plasma kallikrein, increase in Kininase II and increase in NO are considered the contributors to this Bradykinin decrease.

7. Increased release of acetylcholine by increasing the available acetylcholine, LLLT helps in normalizing nerve signal transmission in the autonomic, somatic and sensory neural pathways.

8. Ion channel normalization as with the inflammatory reaction improvement that results from beneficial changes in Ca++, NA+ and K+ concentrations brought about by LLLT, so also are seen beneficial pain reduction results from these ion concentration shifts.

LLLT EFFECT ON HEALING

Since one of the truly unique characteristics of LLLT is that it has the ability to actually promote and enhance healing, not just treat symptoms, it is important that we understand how laser light accomplishes this function. In that understanding we need to realize that as pain is diminished and inflammation is reduced, the bodys natural ability to repair and heal itself will be evidenced. The irradiation by low-level laser light accelerates and enhances healing activities carried out by the body. Several of the unique characteristics of LLLT that work to alleviate pain and inflammation also play an important role in accelerating the healing process.

As wound healing progresses through the stages of inflammation, proliferation, remodeling and maturation, laser therapy presents the opportunity to impact each of these phases in positive and beneficial ways. In both open surface wounds and closed connective or soft tissue injuries, LLLT can provide the following beneficial impacts;

1. Enhanced leukocyte infiltration activity involving neutrophils, monocytes and lymphocytes is accelerated as these cells and their derivatives are stimulated by LLLT.

2. Increased macrophage activity macrophage activity in phagocytosis, growth factor secretion and stimulation of collagen synthesis is accelerated in the presence of LLLT.

3. Increased neovascularization the significant angiogenesis that occurs with laser therapy promotes revasculatization with subsequent improvement in perfusion and oxygenation. Endothelial cell regeneration is accelerated.

4. Increased fibroblast proliferation fibroblast numbers are increased, as is the fibroblast mediated collagen production with stimulated by LLLT.

5. Keratinocyte proliferation the beneficial synthesis activities and growth factor ability of keratinocytes are enhanced by proliferation secondary to LLLT.

6. Early epithelialization laser stimulated acceleration of epithelial cell regeneration speeds up would healing, minimizes scarring and reduces infection opportunities.

7. Growth factor increases two to five fold increases in growth-phase-specific DNA synthesis in normal fibroblasts, muscle cells, osteoblasts and mucosal epithelial cells irradiated with IR light are reported. Increases in vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and fibroblast growth factor (FGF-2) secondary to near and IR light irradiation have also been reported.

8. Enhanced cell proliferation/differentiation laser induced increases in NO, ATP and other compounds stimulate higher activity in cell proliferation and differentiation into mature cells. Increased numbers of myofibroblasts, myofibrils, myotubes etc. have been clinically documented after LLLT. Satellite cells, the precursor cells in the process of muscle regeneration, show significant increase in proliferation when irradiated with LLLT.

9. Greater healed wound tensile strength in both soft tissue and connective tissue injuries, LLLT can increase the final tensile strength of the healed tissue. By increasing the amount of collagen production/synthesis and by increasing the intra and inter-molecular hydrogen bonding in the collagen molecules, laser therapy contributes to improved tensile strength.

10. Accelerated wound healing all the above effects generated by LLLT combine to achieve an accelerated healing rate. The time from onset of injury to mature healed wound is greatly reduced.

Alrighty then...apparently this is the kind of well-informed, intelligent response I can expect? I'm trying to determine 1) if there is any validity to the claims of efficacy for LLLT and hair re-growth, and 2) if any of the characteristics are the same in how the laser interacts a cellular level to help heal in other applications, as it does with supposed hair re-growth...in other words I'm trying to figure out the basis (if any) for the physiology behind it's effectiveness...sorry to have subjected you to those boring 5 minutes in your otherwise three-ringed circus life...thanks again for your time and consideration...

LunaTherapy......It was a joke!!! It actually took me more than 5 minutes, and to be honest im not really intelligent enough to understand what it all meant. But being someone who has been duped by AHS for a lot of money, let me tell you from experience...Is Bulls**t!!

Also what does three- ringed circus life mean ?

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...