BBC Watchdog report- Advanced Hair Studio Laser therapy

As you are aware I am the client realtions manager and deal with all complaints,as this is my field of work (GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE ON MY PART) I have forwarded your request for information to our head office in London. You are more than welcome to contact them direct, the Advanced Hair Studio I am sure will be more than happy to answer any questions that you may have regards any of there treatments:

Originally posted by Dr. Alan Feller:

MD1

Answer this simple question:

How does laser light, which is "line of site", pass through existing hair?

Furthermore, how does your "equipment" account for the massive variability in skin color, texture, and thickness?

Instead of doing your standard "softshoe" dance of claiming how you are supposedly refunding patients, why don't you answer this very substantive and direct question?

*Tell us how your magical laser light show re-animates dead or dying cellular material.* It's a simple question isn't it? But you haven't answered yet.

I can go into ridiculous detail as to how hair transplantation works ??“and even do so on a daily basis. Where is YOUR explanation?

I'm not holding you to any standard I don't hold myself up to, so come on, let's have your explanation. Every viewer of this thread is waiting for a logical answer-your credibility and that of your company is on the line here so don't you think you should answer?

I am the Customer relations manager for Advanced Hair Studio

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Rhodeman: As much as I would love to be able to answer all questions on the Advanced Hair Studio I am unable to do so: However I am more than happy for all clients of the Advanced Hair Studio to contact me direct with there questions - maeveduhy@advancedhairstudio.com and I will forward these questions onto the head office in London and ask for a reply. The reason I am leaving my details on this site was requested by the Managing Director of the Advanced Hair Studio: This is so any AHS Client with a complaint can be reviewed and hopefully resolved satisfactory. I would like to advise that anybody who contacts me, I will try my best to resolve any complaint that you have with the Advanced Hair Studio.

Originally posted by Rhodeman:

Just for kicks, I went to Advanced Hair Studio's website.

What they claim........"Advanced Laser Therapy is the powerful combination of three programs: the latest laser beam technology, an FDA-approved regrowth pharmaceutical*, and a proven scalp and follicle treatment program. Visible benefits can occur very quickly - often in as little as three months.

And the results are exceptional: university trials# show Advanced Laser Therapy regrew hair in 72% of cases, with a 100% satisfaction in hair growth*."

What the # and * reference when you click on them.......

".... * Self evaluation based on double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled, parallel designed trial.

# Results achived from Minoxidil. Requires continuous use.

Please note that the ASA wishes Advanced Hair Studio to make it clear to prospective clients that in their opinion the only proven element of the Advanced Laser Therapy?® program is Minoxidil. Although Advanced Hair Studio does not agree with this adjudication it is happy to comply. "

So basically, what this says to me, is that Advanced Hair Studio is making the claim of 100% satisfaction in hair growth based upon "self-evaluation" [sort of like admiring yourself in a mirror], & they note that the Advanced laser THERAPY regrew hair in 72% of cases based upon the use of Minoxidil [not the Laser]. They also state that the ONLY proven element of the THERAPY program is the Minoxidil.

MD1, if your Laser actually provides regrowth or some OTHER benefit to hair, perhaps you can inform us as to why your company has the disclaimer.

I'm guessing that the "University trials" that are referenced are the ones performed for the Minoxidil by it's manufacturer.

I am the Customer relations manager for Advanced Hair Studio

Maeve, why don't you just forward the question raised in this thread to the "London office" and post the reply, if any?

The question is not client-specific and so you have no reason to hide behind client confidentiality.

==============================================

How does the laser light therapy reanimate dead hair?

==============================================

This is the question you should obtain the answer to. I realize that you're just a PR flunkie and so don't posess any real knowledge of the topics raised here, but you claim to be in contact with people who do. Why won't you ask them and post here? Better yet, why don't you get them to post here themselves so that we can engage in a dialogue that can potentially benefit a lot of folks?

"I will forward these questions onto the head office in London and ask for a reply"

Thats a runaround if I ever saw one.

It is obvious that lazer does not promote hairgrowth. If it work did and MD1 believed in the explanation he would give it to us.

Its not like he does'nt know what lies they tell the customers - he is the client relations manager after all.

I can tell you guys exactly what they told me when I realized that nothing grew and I asked them how it was supposed to work. Here is what the consultant said:

"The minoxidil is appllied to your scalp to soften it up. Then we apply the lazer which is designed to break through the build-up of DHT on your scalp and break it apart. The removal of the build-up will enable the hairs to grow back again"

I think I shall not need to comment on hte stupidity of that explanation.

El Guapo

I got a consultation with the Body Clinic in Dublin. I saw an add in the paper about laser treatment to restore hair.

I got the exact same explanation, The super new powerful laser would blast through the caked up DHT that was strangling my hair follicles to death.

At that point i knew very little about DHT and the science of hair loss. I found the consultant condecending and smug. He told me i had a load of dead follicles, and he would do his best to regrow my hair.

Luckily i declined his treatment. Then he offered to do a hair transplant

"As much as I would love to be able to answer all questions on the Advanced Hair Studio I am unable to do so: However I am more than happy for all clients of the Advanced Hair Studio to contact me direct with there questions - maeveduhy@advancedhairstudio.com and I will forward these questions onto the head office in London and ask for a reply. "

MR1.......if we bring you the broomstick of the wicked witch of the west, can we get a discount?

Guest HLBD

My name is Sherida Devine and I was the woman crying on the AHS commercial because their laser grew all of my hair back, walks my dog on a daily basis, and sent all three of my kids to college!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

But seriously, I do believe that it is criminal of any business to charge $6000+ for use of laser equipment that is probably made for a couple hundred.

Now, I'm not one to say that LLLT doesn't work, because I have seen no proof one way or the other. While I do respect Dr. Feller's opinion, I also respect Dr. Bauman's and - possibly because I have worked with many doctors, researchers, and have grown-up in a medical family - I understand that an educated opinion, no matter how respected, is just that: an opinion. Frankly, I haven't seen anything from either side which can be considered imperical evidence that either LLLT works or doesn't work.

Scentifically speaking, cells do seem to respond to certain wave lengths of light: speeding-up cell regeration and cell activity. Whether or not this could have a positive effect on hair growth, I don't know. But there are many researchers, not just Dr. Bauman, that claim that it does have positive effects. I also respect the fact that Dr. Bauman states that LLLT is not the "cure" for hair loss, but could be useful as an adjuct treatment.

Dr. Feller, while I do (as I have stated) respect your opinion, I have heard similar arguments made by other doctors in regards to minoxidil - "there is no way it could penetrate the scalp", "it's a magic potion", "it's a scam: people have been selling greasy snake-oil since time began promising it can regrow hair." All of these statements come directly from physicians about minoxidil. I guess the primary problem has always been that it is easier to denounce an idea than to prove it.

Once again, I have no idea, one way or the other but I would like to see some real proof in both cases. Still, it does seem like these "salons" are taking advantage of people using slick marketing. I would say that, if anyone wanted to try LLLT and see for themselves that they should forget the expensive salons and combs and by the diodes themselves - they are very inexpensive and there are even companies that make laser devices that cost way less that $600. Just do a google search and know that the light that supposedly works is in the 650, red wavelength. You should find some companies that sell them.

Heck, maybe I'll buy or make one and do a little unbiased test. I believe that anything is possible, but still I doubt that 90% of all people that try LLLT are satisfied with it.

HLBD,

I am going to respond to you, and while what I write may be quite direct, it is not meant to be disrespectful or an attack. Some of your statements seem to give support to the company, so in answering them you may be getting caught in the "cross fire" a bit.

I appreciate your comments, but when grandiose claims are made it is up to the claimant to prove them conclusively and articulatly. This company has not done so. In fact it has gone out of it's way NOT to do so.

It is not my job to "prove a negative" (although in this case it is a particularly easy task).

It IS my job, however, to question the claim. If I don't, then I am indirectly lending credibility to the claim. This is why I posted questions to the company spokesperson publically-and as yet received no answers.

I know that they cannot answer them because their claims are widlely beyond the scope of modern day science AND they run counter to known physiology.

It is up to THEM to convince ME that their "technology" is credibible. Instead, however, they obfuscate, confuse, and distract rather than chosing to answer my direct questions. Sending to London for an answer is just ridiculous on it's face and is, as put by another poster, a "run-around".

This company knows that it is best to throw out ANY answer, rather than not answer at all. They duck the question, but not the conversation-that is clearly their modus operandi. They just hope the thread get's too long and most people won't bother reading it. Then it won't matter what they write. Very shrewed group.

You wrote that you were not one to say that LLLT doesn't work. But you are wrong. If you claim to have a scientific background (as you have), then it is your obligation to say it doesn't work until they prove that it does. It is your job to review your own knowledge of physiology and laser physics to determine if the claim could pass your personal credibility test. If you had any such knowledge then you would be outraged by this company's claim.

Instead you take a middle of the road position that serves no one. You have a capacity to think, reason, and question- but you reject them. It is your obligation to utilize them. That's the greatest gift mankind has been given.

You don't need to see evidence that LLLT doesn't work, you only need evidence that it DOES work. And it is the company's job to provide it. They have avoided doing so. Furthermore, the overwhelming evidence is against LLLT, but you still deny yourself the right to come to a conslusion. Why?

Unfortunately, most people have little or no knowledge of either physiology nor laser physics. What is shown in movies and tv is misleading to say the least, but I think it is this myth that companies like this one rely on to hook their clients.

It pains me to see a modern society fall so easily to this company's methods. It's like taking a step backwards into the dark ages.

You wrote that "cells do seem to respond to certain wavelengths of light". OK, but so what? How does this very broad, yet scientific sounding statement relate to the claims being made by the company? It doesn't. Why would you even post a non-sequitor statement like that? What power levels were used? What was the purpose of the "study" you cite?

You don't even know the wavelengths or conditions used by the company nor that of the "study" you are attempting to quote. So how can you take an experiment performed under controlled conditions and compare it to a largely hidden procedure being performed for money? And then how do you take the extra step of presenting this to a lay public as some sort of support for LLLT?

Besides, wouldn't you say that there is a huge difference between an experiement performed in a lab and that performed in a living human being? See how asking questions can blow a theary apart (or support it?)

If the use of different "wavelengths" clinically can affect human tissue, then why isn't it used in cancer treatments? Autoimmune diseases? Infectious processes?

Dr. Bauman is not a researcher as far as I know. He is a user of laser devices and makes money for his efforts. This does not make him a "researcher". Not that making money is a bad thing, but don't you think that puts his credibility into quesion just a bit?

Back to your "wavelength and cells" theory.

Did you know that there are MANY things that affect cellular growth and function beyond wavelengths of light? Here are a few:

1. Acids and Bases: (ABT) Did you know that weak acids and bases (ph) will also affect cellular growth? Does this mean that a company that pours vinigar or baking soda on the scalp for the purpose of hair re-growth has credibility?

2. RF frequecies (RFT): Should we strap radio antennas onto the scalp and start transmitting?

3 Ultrasound (UST): Should we "vibrate" the hair cells back to life?

4. Pressure (PT): High pressure will affect cellular function and growth. Why don't we put every bald person into a decompression chamber?

5. Heat (HT): Let's put blow dryers on people's bald scalps for twenty minutes at a time and bill them thousands of dollars for it.

6. Laser Light Therapy (LLLT): Oops, this is being done already.

Do you begin to see how LLLT fits into this questionable list of "therapies" very nicely?

You can buy a laser device and do an "unbiased" test, but you really shouldn't have to. Your intellect, reason, and available evidence should be enough on it's own. You also don't have to buy a carpet to prove that it can't fly, but if you feel you must, then you must.

But how can you call yourself "unbiased" when you wrote that you doubt that 90% of people that try LLLT are satisfied with it? Sounds like major bias to me.

And you SHOULD be biased. You should take a solid position on everything in life UNTIL you are convinced to change that position for something even more solid. Flowers and inanimate objects blow in the wind, a thinking and rational person does not.

The real question I have for you is: if you already acknowledge so much evidence against LLLT, why do you insist that you are still in the middle of the road? You should be careful there, that's where people get hit by on coming traffic from BOTH lanes. Very bad place to be.

Dr. Feller

Dr. Feller and HLBD,

The way I see it is...until it's proven to work, it should not be recommended as a treatment...period.

Personally, I am appauled that the FDA has approved laser technology medical devices for many reasons...but mainly, because I have not yet seen or heard from ONE person that used it to state that it did anything positive for them. Companies such as AHS capitalizing on false claims, makes me sick.

I have been open to listening to Dr. Bauman because I know he is a credible doctor and he seems to believe it has SOME merit. But even he is not advocating laser therapy as some miraculous cure.

BUT...until I see proof that laser therapy does anything for hair BY ITSELF, I can only conclude that it doesn't work and therefore I can't recommend it as a treatment just because the FDA does.

It appears that even clinics that USE laser therapy and believe in it, combine this treatment with others such as finasteride and/or minoxodil. So my question is...how can we really attribute any growth of new hair to laser therapy? It very easily could be the finasteride or minoxodil which has already been proven to work.

BUT...

whereas it may be dangerous to take a "middle of the road" stance...I think it IS important for medical RESEARCHERS (not necessarily doctors) to be open minded when evaluating treatments of any kind.

Allow me to explain...

Whereas making a hypothesis in a scientific experiment is not a bad thing...drawing a conclusion before the research begins can tarnish the results of a study.

Readers...please understand the difference...

A hypothesis is a PREDICTION made of the outcome in one very specific controlled study.

A conclusion is what is drawn from the scientific findings of MULTIPLE control studies.

Multipe controlled studies can have very different hypotheses, whereas only one conclusion should be drawn based on these studies, OR the controls of the studies are invalid. One cannot draw two conclusions, but multiple hypotheses can be made within multiple studies while attempting to draw one conclusion.

I WOULD like confirmation as to whether or not Dr. Bauman is doing anything to research laser therapy on its own, apart from any other form of treatment. Clearly, this is important.

Anyway...these are just my thoughts for the day.

Bill

Dr A Feller: Advanced Hair Studio wish to challenge the misinformation being posted by your organization. The use of Laser Therapy in the treatment of hair loss has as you know been fully endorsed by the FDA.

We do not understand why you also choose to ignore the important additional steps that AHS take when offering Laser Therapy to its clients. Laser Therapy is only one of three important steps in the treatment of hair loss.

The additional steps offered include the measured dispensing of a range of Serenoa serrulata products which offer similar benefits to Finasteride Finasteride...Proscar/Propecia without the side effects attributed to that drug. The final step being the controlled dispensing of Topical Minoxidl throughout the program which dilates & widens the blood & capillary vessels thereby increasing the amount of nutrients to the follicle.

Before you chose to knock our organization we suggest that out of professional courtesy that you recognize our business as an alternative option in assisting customers tackle the issue of hair loss without immediately undertaking surgery.

Chris Attrill,

Welcome. This debate has been on the claims made regarding the effectiveness of Lasers in the re-growth of hair, not the term "Therapy" which you folks seem to use to cloud the issue. Please stick to the facts, as we are not debating the use of Minoxidl or Serenoa in this thread.

So basically the question is this:

Can you prove that your "Laser" re-grows hair or not [i.e. not in combination with other drugs which have already been proven to assist in stopping hair loss]? All I've seem from your website [and your responses to date] is a bunch of "snake-oil" type sales tactics which appear to be designed to mislead those who don't know better.

If the laser can not stand on it's own merit with FACTUAL evidence that it can regrow hair [or even STOP hair loss], then it should CLEARLY be stated as such, and not hidden behind the word "Therapy" so you can charge an arm & a leg for products that are basically cheap & readily available. FDA approval only means that this product won't kill you [unless one of your customers hits you over the head with it].

Chris Attrill,

Because I always welcome new posters...I will certainly welcome you. But since you have jumped into a hot debate, I hope you aren't afraid to put your feet into the fire.

Now...let's be serious.

Don't hide behind generalizations and the FDA...answer the questions.

Dr. Feller asked some specific legitimate questions and you completely and successfully circled around all of them.

The fact that you are using the FDA as a crutch is the expected scripted response. If you are serious and want to debate here, we welcome it...but first, educate yourself and read this post here to see what FDA approval REALLY means for laser therapy: http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/146...701040113#8701040113.

Dr. Feller is entitled to his views and frankly, there is no reason to believe otherwise at this point in time that he is wrong.

Please provide the scientific evidence that laser therapy works, by ITSELF to stop hair loss or regrow hair WITHOUT the use of finasteride, minoxodil, or any other product.

Bill

Mr. Attrill,

1.First of all, I am not an "organization", I'm just me. One individual who made a statment and can back it up himself. No need to send to London for answers.

2.Secondly, it is YOUR "organization" that has printed misinformation, not me. All I did was ask you some basic questions which you STILL have not addressed. In doing so you have exposed yourself for what you really are.

3.The other snake oils you fool your clients with is a non-sequitor.

4.Your explaination as to the mechanism of action of minoxidil demonstrates your ignorance and lack of medical knowledge. I won't bother explaining it because you clearly wouldn't understand. By the way, capillary walls do not contain smooth muscle and therefore are unaffected by alpha-blockers (minoxidil) genius. Do you even know how anti-hypertensives work? You should atleast do a bit of research before misleading the public with simple-minded explainations.

5.You are not professionals and therefore not deserving of ANY courtesy.

6. I challenge you and your company to compare the results of your magic laser therapy to hair transplantation. I propose we pick a willing volunteer and draw two 1-centimeter boxes on his scalp. Then you can hit him with as much magical laser dust as you want into one box and I will transplant 40 grafts into the other. We will post the results right here on HTN.

In the meantime, how about you stop misleading innocent people into spending thousands of dollars on a "treatment" that I have yet to see any significant cosmetic results from?

Man, how do you sleep at night?

I propose we pick a willing volunteer and draw two 1-centimeter boxes on his scalp. Then you can hit him with as much magical laser dust as you want into one box and I will transplant 40 grafts into the other. We will post the results right here on HTN.

Sorry Dr. Feller. Not sure we will find a willing volunteer for that experiment anytime soon icon_wink.gif. Maybe I'll see if one of my clones is interested. But I already KNOW that hair transplantation works.

Bill

"Dr A Feller: Advanced Hair Studio wish to challenge the misinformation being posted by your organization. The use of Laser Therapy in the treatment of hair loss has as you know been fully endorsed by the FDA."

-You cant be serious. FDA has certainly not "endorsed" lazer therapy, FDA has only said that it wont physically hurt the patients. And as someone pointed out earlier, lazer wont hurt you unless someone hits you in the head with it.

"We do not understand why you also choose to ignore the important additional steps that AHS take when offering Laser Therapy to its clients. Laser Therapy is only one of three important steps in the treatment of hair loss."

-Nobody has ignored the additional steps. Everyone knows that minoxidil works.

And remember everyone here is more or less an "expert" on hair loss and we all know that lazer does not grow hair and so do you.

If I start offering a service where I charge clients $6000 for the "Guapo Therapy" and pour Coca Cola on my clients heads and chant Hindu prayers I can claim that it works as well cause I also apply Minoxidil.

The FDA will certainly approve this therapy as Coca Cola and Hindu chants are not physically dangerous although slightly annoying perhaps.

Actually I might just do this, it as been said that the carbonated liquid rinses the scalp from testosteron and adds nutrients to the hair, causing it to grow. (If you also add minoxidil...)

"The additional steps offered include the measured dispensing of a range of Serenoa serrulata products which offer similar benefits to Finasteride Finasteride...Proscar/Propecia without the side effects attributed to that drug."

-That is a blatant lie. There is no such evidence. This is not a forum for the mentally challenged, we're not that stupid.

"Before you chose to knock our organization we suggest that out of professional courtesy that you recognize our business as an alternative option in assisting customers tackle the issue of hair loss without immediately undertaking surgery."

-Why should anyone recognise you?

You do not deserve to be recognised more than as a bunch of liars and criminals. In fact, the way I see it you still owe me and several other members on this forum considerable ammounts of money.

If I start offering a service where I charge clients $6000 for the "Guapo Therapy" and pour Coca Cola on my clients heads and chant Hindu prayers I can claim that it works as well cause I also apply Minoxidil.

The FDA will certainly approve this therapy as Coca Cola and Hindu chants are not physically dangerous although slightly annoying perhaps.

el guapo, perhaps you could add some "pop-rocks" and activate them using one of those therapeutic laser pointers.

Don't forget to add this note...."Please note that el guapo wishes to make it clear to prospective clients that the only proven element of the Guapo Therapy?® program is Minoxidil. Although Guapo agrees fully with this adjudication he is happy to take your money anyway."

The additional steps offered include the measured dispensing of a range of virgin Pop-Rocks products which kind of offer similar benefits somewhat like Finasteride without the active ingredients....without the side effects attributed to that drug. The final step being the controlled dispensing of Coca Cola throughout the program which dilates & widens the blood & capillary vessels thereby increasing the amount of nutrients to the follicle.

laser.jpg

Here is a photo from a brochure sent by another company trying to sell me laser equipment for the purposes of taking advantage of patients.

In the photo you see a woman who may have "thinning hair". They show her sitting in a cozy chair watching TV and drinking spring water. How nice and refreshing.

However if you look at the laser light coming out of the "apparatus" anyone can plainly see the majority of it is being reflected off of her hair!!!

Light, whether columnated in the form of a laser or not, is "LINE OF SIGHT". Therefore, most of the "magical" laser light isn't even hitting her scalp!

Light, whether laser or not, will not "soak in" like water coming from a shower head. But that is clearly what they want us to believe. This doesn't pass the laugh test, yet they are actually selling this thing to doctors. Any doctor who buys this product clearly got a D in physics and should be forced to repeat the semester.

How do they sell this garbage to other doctors?!

That box with the key hanging out of it is a nice touch, isn't it?

Here is the front of one of the brochures. You can see in the very first line what they are all about.

brochure.jpg

Everything they wrote on the brochure is FALSE and is a scam. Nothing more, nothing less.

Look at the supposed before and after photos. You can see that the first photo was overexposed and the head is tilted way down. In the follow up photos the photo is darker and the head is tilted up to give the illusion of more hair. An old trick well known to viewers of sites like HTN.

There is absolutely NO cosmetic difference between any of the photos. If anything, it looks as if the "patient's" forelock is thinner and missing a section on his left side in November compared to January.

Blantent scammers like these absolutely nausiate me, and there is nothing that can be done about it. They will continue to con the public until the public catches on. How thankful I am for sites like this one where frauds like this one can be exposed. What they are doing may not technically be illegal, but they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it either.

Dr Feller,

When I had my first procedure in RI, the doctor provided 4 free sessions of laser "therapy" after the procedure as a part of the overall price. There were 2 sessions per week [1/2 hour per session] following the procedure.

Since I was not familiar with the use of lasers in treating hair loss, I questioned him as to it's effectiveness & how it worked. The response was that he believed that it helped, but he did not supply any evidence or facts. He also did not try to push the program that they had in place. It was basically a number of rooms with these lasers set up similar to your picture, except their lasers had some adjustable flaps.

My brief web based research at that time did not seem to provide any facts that would support using these lasers, so I did not continue with any additional laser theraphy after my 4 free sessions were completed.

I have seen some informercials by this doctor noting that the lasers re-grow hair, and I'm guessing that they must do quite well based upon the number of folks I saw going in & out of the laser area [assuming most of these folks did not have recent procedures judging by the appearance of their hair].

What struck me as odd after the first treatment was that the tech that positioned the laser flap didn't seem to angle it to the front of my hairline, which is where I had the procedure. Most of it was directed towards the top of the head [where I had some work] & the back [where I had no work]. Perhaps they were just trying to replenish my donor supply.