Comparison of Tampa doctors

I haven't had my transplant procedure yet, but I wanted to share my experience with two different Tampa-area clinics, which I just recently visited.

I went to Tampa with the full intention of having the procedure done by the Hair and Scalp Laser Clinic in Clearwater. I had done about two years of reading and research and I felt comfortable with the reputation of Dr. Paul Riggs. When I got there for my consultation, however, I learned that Dr. Riggs was no longer associated with this practice. That was my first red flag... no one mentioned this until I flew in for the procedure. Instead, the work would be performed by Dr. Michael Markou. I know nothing about this guy and he may well be a fine surgeon, but I want my work done by a world-class physician, not some guy trying to gain experience. I never even met with the doctor, only a consultant. This consultant, John Satino, was certainly a nice guy, very helpful and very informative, but I was leery about the fact that I didn't get to meet the doctor during my consultation. I called to cancel the procedure.

While I was there, though, I made an appointment with Dr. Paul Rose, who has a sterling reputation and is obviously one of the pre-eminent practitioners in this field. The contrast could not have been more apparent. His office was so accomodating (they got me in with just two days' notice), and Dr. Rose himself was very professional and thorough in his evaluation. He took the time to ask about my family history and my goals for my appearance. He took the time to thoroughly explain his techniques, drew in the outline of what would be my new hairline, and answered all my questions and even offered information I would not have thought of. There is a reason Dr. Rose has the stellar reputation he's got, and I will likely go with him for my procedure. He obviously cares a great deal about not only running his business, but also about creating truly magnificent looking hair.

I haven't had my transplant procedure yet, but I wanted to share my experience with two different Tampa-area clinics, which I just recently visited.

I went to Tampa with the full intention of having the procedure done by the Hair and Scalp Laser Clinic in Clearwater. I had done about two years of reading and research and I felt comfortable with the reputation of Dr. Paul Riggs. When I got there for my consultation, however, I learned that Dr. Riggs was no longer associated with this practice. That was my first red flag... no one mentioned this until I flew in for the procedure. Instead, the work would be performed by Dr. Michael Markou. I know nothing about this guy and he may well be a fine surgeon, but I want my work done by a world-class physician, not some guy trying to gain experience. I never even met with the doctor, only a consultant. This consultant, John Satino, was certainly a nice guy, very helpful and very informative, but I was leery about the fact that I didn't get to meet the doctor during my consultation. I called to cancel the procedure.

While I was there, though, I made an appointment with Dr. Paul Rose, who has a sterling reputation and is obviously one of the pre-eminent practitioners in this field. The contrast could not have been more apparent. His office was so accomodating (they got me in with just two days' notice), and Dr. Rose himself was very professional and thorough in his evaluation. He took the time to ask about my family history and my goals for my appearance. He took the time to thoroughly explain his techniques, drew in the outline of what would be my new hairline, and answered all my questions and even offered information I would not have thought of. There is a reason Dr. Rose has the stellar reputation he's got, and I will likely go with him for my procedure. He obviously cares a great deal about not only running his business, but also about creating truly magnificent looking hair.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>When I got there for my consultation, however, I learned that Dr. Riggs was no longer associated with this practice. That was my first red flag... no one mentioned this until I flew in for the procedure. Instead, the work would be performed by Dr. Michael Markou. I know nothing about this guy and he may well be a fine surgeon, but I want my work done by a world-class physician, not some guy trying to gain experience.

You made a good decision, TeddW2ds. I'm sure it would have been a whole lot easier to just say "what the heck" and just went ahead with it. Smart move.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I never even met with the doctor, only a consultant. This consultant, John Satino, was certainly a nice guy, very helpful and very informative, but I was leery about the fact that I didn't get to meet the doctor during my consultation. I called to cancel the procedure. I personally will never give any business to a doctor who uses a consultant, if I have to meet with the consultant instead of the doctor. Why in the world should I waste my time talking to a non-physician about my hair transplant needs? The consultant won't be there in the operating room during the surgery, to remind the doctor about everything that was discussed or agreed upon.

I realize there are a couple of "recommended" doctors who use consultants in their office (Shapiro for example). I would never give my business to Dr. Shapiro if it was "required" that I have to talk to the doctor's salesman about my case, first. Either I can speak directly with the doctor who I am hiring, or forget it. If the doctor cannot make time to see me personally, I will use another doctor.

I encourage other people to consider the same approach.

Tedd, if you are back in the Tampa/Clearwater area anytime soon and want another surgeon to consult with, speak with Joe Greco. He used to work with Dr. Rose in Tampa for several years. I had a procedure with Joe back in August. You can find my 6 month post op pic in an earlier post about a month ago. Rose is excellent from what I hear, and Greco speaks very highly of him, but in case you want another opinion, give Joe a call. I will also let you know that Joe is a physicians assistant and PhD, he is not an MD. But he has an MD on staff throughout the surgery and I think his results are excellent. He does all FU procedures. And I agree you made a smart move by ruling out Dr. Riggs' old clinic. A guy I talked to did not have a great experience with Riggs, and went to Joe for repair work. I didn't get a chance to meet him to see for myself but talked at length with him over the phone. Good luck to you!

Results of my 1424 FU transplant procedure on 8/16/02 can be viewed at...

http://community.webshots.com/user/ttaco

teddw2ds,

What happened to you sounds very unethical to me. I actually know someone who flew to California (Hermosa Beach) for a consult with a very well-known laser surgeon for cosmetic surgery. He booked the surgery and flew back, but about 5 minutes before the surgery(after he had been there for 2 hours), another doctor came in and told him HE would be doing the surgery. The guy was scared and went through with the surery, but regretted it later.

It was VERY unethical, if not illegal, for the group to do this to you. I would file a complaint with the Florida medical board.

But you were lucky. I've met Dr. Rose, and he's a great guy with a stellar reputation.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I knew when I cancelled that I made the right decision. I just had a sense of relief that I wouldn't be going through with this. I had read enough horror stories here and on other sites to know that I should trust my gut instinct. Unfortunately, it seems like bad transplants are all too common, and I didn't want to end up being one of those woeful souls sharing the story of my misery after a rash decision.

After reading your comments, I know for certain that I made the right choice. You all just confirmed what I already knew in my heart. I'm glad to see that everyone has such a high opinion of Dr. Rose. I know I certainly do, even before having the procedure.

• 4 years later...

Be glad!!!! you made the right decission---I made the mistake of having a procedure with Doctor Michael Markou and also had my initial consultation with clinic director John Satino---Doctor Markou should not be performing hair transplants------he butchered the back of my head and has left me with a very bad donor stretch scar

rodfl-

Again I'll mention to look at the "posted" date at the upper left corner of these threads. This thread is 4 years old and the members not active so they likely won't read your reply. icon_cool.gif

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• 9 years later...
  • 3 years later...