GABA

GuitarPlayer

Has anyone ever used GABA? I have read in articles on bodybuilding websites that it can boost your growth hormone levels by up to 500% by boosting your GABA levels. I have been using it for a couple of weeks and have found that it has a relaxing valium-like effect and that it helps me sleep better. As for the effects on HGH, I really don't know. I don't really feel any stronger or leaner.

I've never used it or heard of it. I have heard of pure HGH and Trans-D Tropin (which forces your body to make more of its own HGH). Is that a similar product?

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

GABA, Gamma Aminobutyric Acid, is an amino acid classified as a neurotransmitter (A neurotransmitter is a substance that transmits nerve impulses across a synapse. A synapse is a region where nerve impulses are transmitted across axon terminals.)

GABA's high concentration in the hypothalamus suggests this amino acid plays a significant role in hypothalamic-pituitary function. The hypothalamus is a region of the posterior section of the brain and is the regulating center for visceral (instinctive) functions such as sleep cycles, body temperature, and the activity of the pituitary gland.

The pituitary gland is the master endocrine gland effecting all hormonal functions of the body. One primary hormone of concern to the athlete is growth hormone (GH) and its various hormonal constituents.

The amino acid GABA has been shown in numerous studies to promote significant increases in plasma growth hormone levels.

There have been literally hundreds of clinical studies on GABA and numerous studies on GABA's ability to elevate growth hormone levels. As with most nutritional studies, GABA research has come directly from the medical community. One noted study from the First Medical Clinic at the University of Milan in Milan, Italy titled, "Effect of acute and repeated administration of gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) on growth hormone and prolactin secretion in man", shows just how effective GABA is.

Quoted results from this study showed "In all of the 19 subjects studied, compared with 18 controls, plasma growth hormone levels were significantly increased (above 5 ng/ml) by acute oral administration of 5 g of GABA."

This study showed over a 5 1/2 fold increase in plasma growth hormone levels 90 minutes after GABA administration. That is a significant increase unmatched by any other nutritional means.

Most cited studies on amino acids and growth hormone elevation utilize intravenous delivery means. This is unrealistic and doesn't reflect real world results. Studies on GABA have been performed with both oral and intravenous administration with the oral route showing remarkable effectiveness.

GABA's growth hormone elevating effects rival that of potent pharmaceutical compounds.

Robert,

I copied the above article for your reading pleasure. In short, I think the best way to describe GABA is that it is a precursor to growth hormone. GABA is taken orally. It is a powder that you mix with water or juice about a half hour to an hour before you go to bed. It makes you sleep great, although you will wake up groggy the first few times you take it. As you probably already know, pure HGH must be injected to be effective. There has been a lot of buzz about HGH lately. I wonder how effective the injections are for hair loss (not that I'm going to go to this extreme). I've read that pure HGH can reverse the aging process up to fifteen years. I'm reading an anti-aging book right now by a Dr. Klatz, who raves about HGH. Supposedly, he's one of the leading anti-aging physicians in the United States.

GuitarPlayer

I want to look into this further. I am a sucker for "better living through chemistry." icon_smile.gif

Yeah, cost and means of obtaining pure HGH are the prohibiting factors. Injections run about ~$1000 monthly on average and they need to be prescribed. I imagine that one could obtain it from an overseas source with no prescription, but then quality concerns come into play.

Trans-D Tropin costs about $175 a month and its users have reported postive effects to hair health, among other things. I don't know about regrowth.

I looked into it, but even at that price, which is considerably less than $1000 a month its a little steep to just use it on a whim.

I will definitely look into GABA, though.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Robert,

Can you tell me more about Trans-D Tropin? Is it a bodybuilding supplement or is it something you need a prescription for? In the book I'm reading, Dr. Katz states that he sees HGH injections possibly coming down as low as $200-$300 per month in the next couple of years. This is because Eli Lilly's patent will run out, and then other companies will be manufacturing HGH.

GuitarPlayer

• 1 month later...

I used GABA years ago as a way to boost natural GH levels. It did absolutely nothing. Since then, I've learned that nothing taken orally can raise GH levels enough to make a difference. The ONLY way to boost GH levels is to take the actual 191 amino acid chain synthetic growth hormone at 2iu+ a day. All those GH realising/boosting supplements are a total scam.

6544 grafts - Dr Hasson 11/30/05

• 3 years later...
  • 7 years later...

Taking gaba orally would produce no effect. It does not easly pass the blood brain barrier. Prescription Gabapentin would help produce it. Also supplement phenibut will up the bodies production. Although, phenibut can cause sedation, can be abused, cause tolerance and withdrawal. To my story, I have been abusing diphenhydramine (benadryl) for about a year. I am an alcoholic and used the diphenhydramine to sleep and enjoy the sedation at night. Luckily I have not drank in over a year and am looking for a sleep aid (and yes I enjoy the sedation, but thats not what this thread is about.) Since taking high amounts about 750mg of diphenhydramine a night, my thick hair has drastically thinned in the middle. I am 36, so there is that timing, but I want to rule out the diphenhydramine. Google "diphenhydramiine and hairloss" You'll find a whole slew of people wondering this. Probably not a coincidence. Some studies show diphenhydramine also block GH production and therefore could contribute to hairloss. GABA is said to help increase it. If you hairgrowth warriors have not checked out GABA production, please do. Its huge and it will take a lot of reading to start to get it right. As posted earlier a man said he took gaba to increase his GH and it didnt work and all oral GH activators are a scam. He was right in the GABA didnt work. It wont. It goes in the mouth and out the pee. Phenibut is the best nonprescription way to increase GABA. There are others that also effect gaba in different ways and intensities; picamilon (like phenibut but w/o sedation), l-theanine, 5-htp (the sleepy chem in turkey), valerian, ashwagandha, kava, alcohol, all prescibed benzos. Yes they make you sleepy. So, I am going to experiment. Going to stop the diphenhydramine, and start the phenibut. See if I get good sleep, hair back, all while trying not to get addicted. I was actually prescribed gabapentin while knowing it can cause dependency and withdrawl. Which I got neither. Cross fingers.

OI000007.thumb.jpg.c27e3a3daa2853a577e722803cf22487.jpg

OI000008.thumb.jpg.3eee41ec3c174d16149d233354d488a1.jpg