Shapiro - simply fantastic

Hello all,

I've returned (now 13 days post-op) from my all FU-HT with Dr. Shapiro. I'll post my thoughts in two different strings. The first is an overview of the day and the second will highlight my recovery experience (scabs, redness, donor scar, etc.)

First - my experience was truly great. I thank Pat (for hosting this site and introducing us all to the top docs in the industry), Matt, Dr. Shapiro, and all the techs who worked so diligently with me during my visit. I can't imagine a better experience. If the other docs recommended/referenced on this site provide similar care, the industry is developing a nice set of docs to take care of us.

An overview of my surgery:

1. 1400 FU's in the hairline.

2. Goal was naturalness - and to conceal the prior mini-grafts. Density will be what it will be.

3. Removal of donor scar from earlier surgery.

The day prior to the surgery, I met with Matt and Dr. Shapiro to discuss the procedure, establish goals, and a gameplan on how Dr. Shapiro would approach the surgery. I left feeling very comfortable with Dr. Shapiro - something that allowed me to get a pretty good night sleep. He really is a great guy.

The day of the surgery, had a bowl of cereal and made my way to the office. I met with Matt and Dr. Shapiro again to discuss any last questions. Again, Dr. Shapiro drew the gameplan for my new hairline on my head. Dr. Shapiro's approach to creating a natural hairline is to have "regular irregulatiry" so that the hairline does not look like a straight line (many initial hair transplants that don't look right have this appearance). To conceal the existing mini-grafts, Dr. Shapiro's approach is to place more FU's in front of the mini's - this does two things. One, it provides more cover to hide the mini's and two, it acts to provide the natural irregularity of a normal hairline. In my case, Dr. Shapiro went 1/8 to 1/4 inch in front of my existing hairline to conceal the prior work (which fortunately was not too bad).

After we discussed and agreed - I was introduced to the tech's in the OR a couple of doors down. My room was a self-contained FU-HT room - equipped with 4 microscopes. In many respects, the actual surgery is just how others have described it. For those that had surgery in the early/mid 90's, my experience was that this is a totally different (much better) experience. The only pain is the appliation of the numbing agent in the donor area and the recipient area. This was not too bad, although it did take me a little longer than most because I had some scar tissue that resulted from a prior surgery (more on that in my second post)

As Dr. Shapiro took the donor tissue, 4 techs immediately began disecting the tissue into FU's. They update Dr. Shapiro regularly on their progress - how my donor hair is shaping up so he can get an idea of what he will have to work with before he begins making recipient incisions. Fortunately for me, my density was average to above average so I had a good number of 2's and 3's to work with.

Onto the recipient area - after numbing the site, Dr. Shapiro begins to make insicions while a tech counts his work. The incisions are made with a small tool that looks similar to a "seam-ripper". The blade is very small and makes a very slight incision. The small blade (and his steady hand) allow him to get good density with a single surgery. Dr. Shapiro makes each incision diligently. Periodically, the Dr. or tech would spray some water/saline or something on my head to keep it wet. The plan for me was apprx. 1400 FU's. Somewhere around 1100, Dr. Shapiro stopped. The incision process took about 90 minutes - 2 hours, but please understand I am totally guessing here. Of course, I'm watching a movie and staying pretty alert (although a little drugged from the Valiume) throughout the process. At the end of the process, I took a bathroom break and checked the process - looked good to me and right on plan.

Upon completing the first round of incisions, Dr. Shapiro took a break and the lead tech began inserting grafts. He returned shortly and begain working with the tech inserting the grafts. The Dr. grouped several 2 FU's together to effectively create a 4FU graft. Of course I'm not sure how many of these he did, but I'm happy to have the increased density and an all-natural effect. The tech's rotated a bit, but it was only the Dr. and the most senior techs who were inserting the grafts. Again, I'm guessing, but I think this was a 3-4 hour process.

When the initial 1100 or so incisions were filled, we took a break and began what was the final leg of the surgery. And, it was this part that was most impressive to me. We spent about 2 hours completing the job with the single and double FU's the staff had saved for Dr. Shapiro to fine-tune the work. We started the fine-tuning by taking a break and then he and I looked into the mirror and planned where the last 200 or so grafts would go. He was very interested in my opinion and he marked where he thought he would place individual grafts. Of course, I deferred almost 100% to his judgement, but I was very impressed with two things. First, the fact that he wanted to include me in this process and second, the fact that he took 2 hours (until 6:00 or so) to do just the right job. My prior surgery start to finish took less time that the fine-tuning! It felt great knowing that he and his staff take that much care placing each last graft (particularly in the hairline).

After the final placement, we went over the post-opp instructions. I was given the lead tech's cell phone and instructed to call 24/7 if I had any questions.

In another string, I will detail my approach to, and results of, my post-op healing.

Hope this helps any of you considering a FU-HT or considering a Doc.

Thanks again to everyone's support leading up to this event.

MR

Hello all,

I've returned (now 13 days post-op) from my all FU-HT with Dr. Shapiro. I'll post my thoughts in two different strings. The first is an overview of the day and the second will highlight my recovery experience (scabs, redness, donor scar, etc.)

First - my experience was truly great. I thank Pat (for hosting this site and introducing us all to the top docs in the industry), Matt, Dr. Shapiro, and all the techs who worked so diligently with me during my visit. I can't imagine a better experience. If the other docs recommended/referenced on this site provide similar care, the industry is developing a nice set of docs to take care of us.

An overview of my surgery:

1. 1400 FU's in the hairline.

2. Goal was naturalness - and to conceal the prior mini-grafts. Density will be what it will be.

3. Removal of donor scar from earlier surgery.

The day prior to the surgery, I met with Matt and Dr. Shapiro to discuss the procedure, establish goals, and a gameplan on how Dr. Shapiro would approach the surgery. I left feeling very comfortable with Dr. Shapiro - something that allowed me to get a pretty good night sleep. He really is a great guy.

The day of the surgery, had a bowl of cereal and made my way to the office. I met with Matt and Dr. Shapiro again to discuss any last questions. Again, Dr. Shapiro drew the gameplan for my new hairline on my head. Dr. Shapiro's approach to creating a natural hairline is to have "regular irregulatiry" so that the hairline does not look like a straight line (many initial hair transplants that don't look right have this appearance). To conceal the existing mini-grafts, Dr. Shapiro's approach is to place more FU's in front of the mini's - this does two things. One, it provides more cover to hide the mini's and two, it acts to provide the natural irregularity of a normal hairline. In my case, Dr. Shapiro went 1/8 to 1/4 inch in front of my existing hairline to conceal the prior work (which fortunately was not too bad).

After we discussed and agreed - I was introduced to the tech's in the OR a couple of doors down. My room was a self-contained FU-HT room - equipped with 4 microscopes. In many respects, the actual surgery is just how others have described it. For those that had surgery in the early/mid 90's, my experience was that this is a totally different (much better) experience. The only pain is the appliation of the numbing agent in the donor area and the recipient area. This was not too bad, although it did take me a little longer than most because I had some scar tissue that resulted from a prior surgery (more on that in my second post)

As Dr. Shapiro took the donor tissue, 4 techs immediately began disecting the tissue into FU's. They update Dr. Shapiro regularly on their progress - how my donor hair is shaping up so he can get an idea of what he will have to work with before he begins making recipient incisions. Fortunately for me, my density was average to above average so I had a good number of 2's and 3's to work with.

Onto the recipient area - after numbing the site, Dr. Shapiro begins to make insicions while a tech counts his work. The incisions are made with a small tool that looks similar to a "seam-ripper". The blade is very small and makes a very slight incision. The small blade (and his steady hand) allow him to get good density with a single surgery. Dr. Shapiro makes each incision diligently. Periodically, the Dr. or tech would spray some water/saline or something on my head to keep it wet. The plan for me was apprx. 1400 FU's. Somewhere around 1100, Dr. Shapiro stopped. The incision process took about 90 minutes - 2 hours, but please understand I am totally guessing here. Of course, I'm watching a movie and staying pretty alert (although a little drugged from the Valiume) throughout the process. At the end of the process, I took a bathroom break and checked the process - looked good to me and right on plan.

Upon completing the first round of incisions, Dr. Shapiro took a break and the lead tech began inserting grafts. He returned shortly and begain working with the tech inserting the grafts. The Dr. grouped several 2 FU's together to effectively create a 4FU graft. Of course I'm not sure how many of these he did, but I'm happy to have the increased density and an all-natural effect. The tech's rotated a bit, but it was only the Dr. and the most senior techs who were inserting the grafts. Again, I'm guessing, but I think this was a 3-4 hour process.

When the initial 1100 or so incisions were filled, we took a break and began what was the final leg of the surgery. And, it was this part that was most impressive to me. We spent about 2 hours completing the job with the single and double FU's the staff had saved for Dr. Shapiro to fine-tune the work. We started the fine-tuning by taking a break and then he and I looked into the mirror and planned where the last 200 or so grafts would go. He was very interested in my opinion and he marked where he thought he would place individual grafts. Of course, I deferred almost 100% to his judgement, but I was very impressed with two things. First, the fact that he wanted to include me in this process and second, the fact that he took 2 hours (until 6:00 or so) to do just the right job. My prior surgery start to finish took less time that the fine-tuning! It felt great knowing that he and his staff take that much care placing each last graft (particularly in the hairline).

After the final placement, we went over the post-opp instructions. I was given the lead tech's cell phone and instructed to call 24/7 if I had any questions.

In another string, I will detail my approach to, and results of, my post-op healing.

Hope this helps any of you considering a FU-HT or considering a Doc.

Thanks again to everyone's support leading up to this event.

MR

• 1 month later...

Today I just completed my 2100 graft procedure at Shapiro's office but used Dr. Charles. He is the younger of the group of Doc's that work at the office and Shapiro had a waiting list longer than I wanted to wait. Shapiro has an awesome reputation and I felt that anyone working for him had to be just as good because of his reputation would be on the line if one of the other doctors messed up.

My experience was also just like yours. Incredibly comfortable and the staff was first rate. I did extensive homework to find this place and would recommend them to anyone. Of course only time will tell when the hair actually starts growing but I have no reason to doubt.

• 4 weeks later...

Your surgery sounds awsome !!

I am sure you will have excellent results too. My question is....How short did Dr. Shapiro want the front of your hair ...pre-op ??...

I have heard some docs want a Buzz cut to go plant between previous grafts.

Thanks for sharing your story !!!!!