HT done in India

jagdish

Hi, This is my 8th day after HT. I was not much aware of HT before going for it. I went to a doctor who does 2 HTs a day and 6 days a week and he has 7 years of experience in HT. There were patients lined up in the queue and it was very difficult to get the doctor's appointment. So, I did not even think about second option and get my HT done with the doctor. The thing that surprised me is that the actual HT is done by 3 lady technicians not by doctor. Only the initial cutting and suturing of donor area was done by the doctor. Is this what happens everywhere else?

Post operation, when I searched google and found this forum I realized that there should be good amount of research done prior to HT. Nothing bad happened to me yet though I was scared when I found some sad stories of HT. My HT was done well. The doctor and the technicians treated me very well and the pain while HT and post HT is almost zero.

I have observed one difference in the procedure. As i read in this forum, All HTs are done without shaving or trimming the existing hair. But my doctor shaved the recipient area completely and the other areas to 1 mm level. Same procedure is applied to all other patients. Any Idea is this for the benefit of the doctor or benefit of the patient?

Ravi Vide

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Jagdish -

Welcome to the forum. I see your concerns about doc not doing the HT by himself. It is normal for technicians to do most of the work during procedure. What a qualified doc must to is, take the donor strip out, suture/staple the area and then make the incisions in the recipient area. And then techinicians take over by putting all the grafts in to the incisions made by Doc.

Some docs prefer to shave the recipient as it makes it easy for them to find blank spots (specially in patients with lot of existing hair), match the angulation of the existing hair and reduces the chances of shockloss. I don't think there's anything you should be worried about at this point. Do you pictures you can share?? and who was your doc in India>??

All, the placement of grafts in the hairline should be done only by the dr. Period. I think it is completely fine to have assistants place grafts in the mid-scalp region, but the hairline must be done by the physician. The hairline of a HT is the money shot, the icing that sweetens the entire cake fella's!!! I would NOT go to a HT doc that did not place at the least the entire hairline.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Hi, Thanks for the clarifications.

My HT was done exactly as KG mentioned. Doc was there till the incisions are made. Even the hairline was placed by technicians. Anyway I will not worry about it now as the HT and the hairline looks good to me. My HT was done by Dr Ashok Reddy in Hyderabad.

I have posted my pictures. But they did not go live yet. May be the pictures clarity was not good. I will get a good cam and I will keep posting the pictures along with the progress.

Ravi Vide

Hi Jagadish,

I'm Ravi from bangalore. Can you give more information - Name of the clinic, contract numbers where you had the surgery. Also please tell more how much they charge for HT. I fall under the level 3 of hair loss. So i want to know whether i can afford for HT surgery.

It would be of great help if you can give some information.

Thanks,

ravi

Hi Ravi,

I had my HT done at Dr.Ashok's Hair Transplant Clinic, Hyderabad. Phone: 040 55632255/55826868

I also fall under 3 category and I was charged Rs.25000 Basically the fees is based on the area to be covered and the doctor decides the fees after the consultation. Overall the fee stays between Rs.25000 - Rs.45000 range. Check if you can afford this. If you are planning to get it done in Hyderabad you may need to stay there for 2 days. But I know that in bangalore you have many HT clinics.

My suggestions are

1)Try to find out as much information as possible before going for HT. Because we have many unexperienced doctors around in india who may not do the procedure well.

2)Pls remember not to bargain with the doctor.

3)Confirm with the doctor that the hairline has to be transplanted by the doctor not by the technicians. Eventhough the technicians are good, we get good satisfaction if doctor does it.

Ravi Vide

Originally posted by the B spot:

All, the placement of grafts in the hairline should be done only by the dr. Period. I think it is completely fine to have assistants place grafts in the mid-scalp region, but the hairline must be done by the physician. The hairline of a HT is the money shot, the icing that sweetens the entire cake fella's!!! I would NOT go to a HT doc that did not place at the least the entire hairline.

I'll second that B Spot!

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

B-spot and Gorpy,

I respectfully disagree regarding hairline graft placement. It depends on the technique used for making the incisions and of course experience.

Using our clinic for example, when using the lateral slit technique the grafts can only go in one way. The incision site is made by blades that are custom cut to the size of the graft going into it. This means not only the width but the depth as well. When the technicians are placing the grafts the grafts go in to that depth and are snug. They will not deviate from the direction and angle pre-determined by the doctor's incisions.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hi,

I would like to know your comments on my HT. Here is the Picture of 12 Days Post Operation.

I would like to know what happens if there are more number of hairs per grafts. I observed 1 to 2 hairs per grafts in first 3 rows of hairline. Then 3 to 4 hairs per grafts for the remaining rows. Is that OK? Or will I get a creapy hair line icon_frown.gif

I am going to post more pictures in my next post.

12_Days_Post_Op.JPG.69a7feada157e7588e4fc6c326d00fe0.JPG

Ravi Vide

Jotronic, I respectfully disagree with you. I don't know if you realize it, but your post comes off as condescending towards other doctors. You imply that if only other doctors would step up to the most "advanced" techniques, blades etc, they would not need to be present during the hairline placement. The truth is that all of the top docs talked about on these boards do use the most "advanced" techniques, custom cut blades etc. (just like H&W). They might not use lateral slit exclusively, but they do it for valid reasons. For some reason doctors that use the most "advanced" techniques still find it a good idea to take the time to spend an hour or so at the end to finish off their creation of a great hairline. It just so happens that many of these doctors have a reputation for great hairlines. I don't want to get into a protracted argument with you over this, but I'm sure some doctors would love to sit down and debate it with you.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Jagdish, the modern transplant from top doctors never includes two hair grafts in the hairline.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Well, maybe, maybe not. You'll have to wait and see how it looks. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Jagdish, it almost looks like minigrafts in the back. Are you sure you got follicular unit transplantation?

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Jagdish -

Not to worry!! If it's 1-2 hairs in the hairline, it's not gonna look unnatural. The reason I asked you the grafts size (number of hairs/graft) is because your scabs look really big so I was concerned if you doc used punch/mini grafts method which was the norm a decade ago. But if your graft size does not exceed 4 hairs, you are okay. Do you have any before picturs you can share? Also how many total grafts did you get?

Gorpy,

I don't see how my post is condescending but if that is how it appears then I certainly did not mean for it to be.

My intent was to address the notion of the docs placing the grafts in the hairline and that they are best qualified. This may very well be the case in other clinics and there is nothing wrong with that. As a matter of fact, I don't doubt it is the case in other clinics. I was challenging the notion that this should be true as a blanket statement for all clinics. Both Dr. Wong and Dr. Hasson will be the first to say that their technicians can place grafts better than they can so I believe that when one says that the doctor should be the only one to place grafts I again respectfully disagree. The technicians, only senior staff, do this all day every day and have so for years.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I see your point Jotronic. Thanks for that explanation. But I still believe there is a need for a final stick and place, fine tuning, artistic addition that can only be achieved by the doctor. It's not as simple as just "placing" the grafts, and I'm sure that the great hairline docs would agree with that.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Hi KG,Gorpy,

The biggest mistake I made was that I went for the HT with ZERO knowledge. All I thought was that "HT is a procedure and every HT doctor does it. More Experience + More Number of patients = More skill.". I now came to know that I was wrong. Damn, why I did not find this forum before HT.

I was not aware what FUT is and how many grafts required for me. So, I did not ask the doctor either. Now I have sent an email to doctor to find out these details. The doctor lives in different town and he can only be reached through email. I have checked the doc's website below

http://www.drashoks.com

There is no word called FU in the website at all. I think the doctor is still performing the procedure which was buried a decade ago. Could you guys please confirm. This doctor is very famous in the city, uses high level of publicity through TV, News Papers and hordings.

I have attached my picture before HT. I am sorry to say I don't have any close-up pic that concentrates on the hair. I requested the doc to send me the pic before Op.

Thanks a million for your support.

Before_Op.jpg.fbc922c0ba87ce16b110872e2c026813.jpg

Ravi Vide

Jagdish, it does appear that the doctor was not using exclusive FUT. Although the web sight does not come out and say they use them, they do talk of 3-5 hair grafts and also larger grafts which they call "standard" grafts.

Another thing - did they actually use lasers to make the incisions in the recipient area? There is a problem with lasers in that they will burn or carterize the surrounding tissue. This can cause low growth rate for the grafts.

Sounds like you got an "old technology" transplant, but I can't be sure. There is no sense in fretting over it now. There are literally thousands of men currently getting outstanding repair jobs on that kind of work. The good news is that your hairline looks like it was well placed (not too low). It is much easier to repair and cover the old grafts if the hairline is not too low.

Hang in there and stay positive. You have plenty of options.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Gorpy,

I am not sure whether they used lasers or not. When the incisions are made my face is fully covered with some cloth. So, I could not see or feel anything due to anasthesia. Patients eyes are totally covered throughout the procedure. for 6 hours almost.

I observed one more thing. My incisions are looking bigger because I got some black bumps on the incisions. I am not plucking these bumps because when I did it twise they came out along with 2 hairs with them. Any idea what these are. Are they result of laser incisions? They are now dried and coming out while washing the hair.

Also the incisions are not circles. They are in shape of a straight line.

Ravi Vide

Jagdish -

I wouldn't worry about it rightnow. The placement of grafts does not look too bad. Atleast your doc has not used big grafts in hairline. Even if he did put big grafts in the back, it would not be as much noticable. So don't sweat it yet.

From the pic you provided, it seems like you still had some hair in the front before going in for the procedure. I would recommend you immidiatly get on Propecia/Proscar as soon as possible, because it helps minimize the shockloss. Whenever you get a HT in an area with already good native hair, there's always a good possibility of losing some of that native hair from shockloss (sometimes permanently). Propecia also helps stablize future hairloss.

Also, there's a doc AP in Delhi, who's frequently talked about on this forum. You might wanna check him out. If you're in Delhi in near future, you can get a consultation with him. He seems to be doing good quality work.

I'm not sure about the black bumps, but don't pick at anything. Let them come off naturaly. I suspect that if your face was covered they might have been using lasers as they talk about on their website. Incisions done by the top doctors are actually not visible. They use such small instruments, and then fill it with a follicular unit. What I mean by that is you can't tell if it is a circle or a line. They are just too small to tell.

By the way, your grafts should shed soon. You might already be seeing the beginning of the shed. That is perfectly normal. After 3 months the grafts will emerge again and start growing.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

I got the following reply(blue colour) from the doctor.

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">"You have undergone Foliicular Unit Transplantation. You have received around 3,500 follicular units.

Now keep scrubbing your scalp well. The scabs would fall of leaving clean scalp. Itching would disappear. After the suture removal, stop Drez spray & ointment and start applying Mintop as directed.

</span>

Doctor suggested me to use drez spray and apply ointment on sutures. I did that for first 5 days and I stopped then. I think I got these bumps due to the dryness of my scalp. I did not apply the spray from 6th day onwards and from then I started getting them. Anyway today I started shedding more bumps and few grafts.

Finally Please confirm whether I should believe that I've gone under FUT. If doctor performed FUT why FUT is not mentioned at all in the website?

Also doctor prescribed me Finasteride 1MG(Finax) one pill a day throughout the life icon_eek.gif

and Minoxidile 5% twice daily for 10 months starting from 3rd week post op. I don't know much about Propecia/Proscar. Will do research now.

Ravi Vide

If your doc says he performed FUT, then I guess would believe that, but it definitely does not look like 3500 grafts ~ correct me guys if I am wrong. To me, it seems like your doc knows what he's talking about, so I don't think you should be worried.

Finasteride 1 MG is same as Propecia/Proscar. Most people who take it everyday do not lose more hair. 87% of the people who take it stablize their hairloss, some even notice some new growth. Most people on this forum take this drug. As long as you're on it, you will keep your remaining hair. Once you stop, you will lose the benefits of the drug and continue hair loss progression. Ger Proscar (which is 5MG Finax) asap, and cut the pill into 4 pieces (1.25 MG each), that will save you lot of money.

Even I don't think 3500 is a right figure. Can anyone transplant 3500 grafts in 3 hours? Two technicians worked at the same time by taking over each side and the third technician was serving the grafts.

The other reason is, to transplant 3500 FUs it costs around Rs.1,40,000 in india.(Rs.40 per graft). I got this price from other doctor. But my surgery was done for just Rs. 25,000 only.

Ravi Vide