Pat - Community Publisher

Photos from Pat's Visit to Hasson and Wong Aesthetic Surgery

On Monday I had the privilege of watching Dr. Victor Hasson of Hasson and Wong and his staff perform a large 5,119 graft session of Ultra Refined Follicular Unit Grafting from 8 am until 8 pm in Vancouver, Canada. I also met and viewed two patients of Dr. Hasson and one patient of Dr. Wong while they were in the office having their staples removed. Another patient who posts on our forum as Qwert also came by the office and I examined his impressive results from one huge session of 6,544 grafts.

To read the extensive highlights of Pat's visit to H & W, visit http://www.regrowhair.com/hair-transplant-surgery/donor...-in-vancouver-canada

2741042262_A91857A212D24E40280203D6A49EF9BC.jpg

3541042262_765023ED63378EB1D63D197F8DA56438.jpg

3641042262_36F3E3215DC57D5AC259CD1B1157B5BC.jpg

3741042262_52C422B69D108E6C5BAB637365CA4197.jpg

4541042262_DAB559AA1222E7A05A98A6CAB758EF43.jpg

4641042262_80D889C24905156A81EE54A5C1F77B76.jpg

4741042262_498B1588CA21820C65247739D7247828.jpg

5541042262_22CF77BC2F1BAFF974513D15E401A0E4.jpg

5641042262_76929B437EC2208724F916042E84EDDB.jpg

5741042262_56DA5BD67D1B3947D2050AD8B957FAAC.jpg

6541042262_A6B737C08A599C45268B507C1678EECB.jpg

6641042262_BBBADAE0DFF30904B630EDF73B70189D.jpg

6791042262_4DF6EA28C25986DE561B072D5EB79787.jpg

7541042262_D1B1343F5E9AED63519352FD37D47F88.jpg

7641042262_DD50C1EB80139EA1EC0A6F693037884B.jpg

8541042262_48C527D96AC2CA7B95F74F5AEBF3672C.jpg

8641042262_A2B017C55A4A7317793C2D52A91F8AC8.jpg

9541042262_4F642FDC55B7CCA604088E078544F8AE.jpg

9641042262_0864EB61A57BCCFE6EC35F5DC0EC20BA.jpg

1641042262_73484175534CAE8964BCB61049BF3674.jpg

1741042262_2FE4B7FE074CE841AF4017082C4C18C6.jpg

2641042262_4C2D8D84A3187F0054037889D0F0CC36.jpg

Incredible! It doesn't get any better than an up-close, no-holds-barred pictorial review. What a superb writeup on the blog, too!

Hi Pat and Friends

Quick questions does H & W ever consider not shaving the recepiant area in the future. Many persons like myself cannot do this due to work and other personal reasons. I'm sure they would be able to pull this off due to their impeccable talent

Thanks

Originally posted by Mrjb:

Hi Pat and Friends

Quick questions does H & W ever consider not shaving the recepiant area in the future. Many persons like myself cannot do this due to work and other personal reasons. I'm sure they would be able to pull this off due to their impeccable talent

Thanks

Hi, Mrjb. If you read my blog, you will see that my intention with HT #2 was to not shave the recipient area. Dr. Hasson began with that premise, and the first batch of hairs that went into my hairline were done without shaving the front. So, clearly this can be done. Having said that, when so many extra grafts later presented, Dr. Hasson pretty much made the decision for me to shave down the front. He pointed out that it would be silly to make a decision that could in any way jeopardize the outcome, with which I would live for the rest of my life. He was so right, and I agreed. I have never looked back.

Thanks to Dermmatch and a fine hair stylist, along with the helpful guidance of Christina (from H&W) I was in a suit and tie within two weeks, and received compliments on my new, short "summer cut."

In short, H&W can do it, but probably wouldn't want to because it is unwise. Think of the bigger picture: Heaven forbid, if you were in a car accident you could be out of commission for upwards of two weeks. So just plan two weeks off from work, and then you're good to go with a short cut. Don't be short-sighted, as I was (before Dr. Hasson gave me a good pair of glasses).

Pat,

Thanks for sharing the detail from your visit to H&W. I continue to be amazed with not only the numbers they produce, but the ultra refined results. The shift from the old "mega-session" of 1500-2000 to the new "mega-session" of 4000+ has made a huge impact in hair restoration. Those who previously planned on obtaining satisfactory coverage in 3-4 sessions can now achieve this in 1 or 2 passes.

I appreciated reading the information from the other link you posted. As most, my initial concern with excising a larger donor strip would be the possibility of more scarring. IMO, H&W has shown this not to be a concern for the vast majority. Having 3886 grafts from Dr. Wong on HT #2, I wondered what the scar would look like. Now, at just over 6 months, I'm starting to have to really, really work to even find my scar at all! (I'll post pics with my next update).

Mjrb - I understand your concern about shaving the recipient area. I did not want to do this before I had my HT. For what it's worth, I wear a suit and tie and meet with clients every day. With two weeks off for the HT & recovery, along with a strategically clipped haircut, it worked out fine. Mine was likely more noticable than most because most of my work was in the crown so when I clipped the hair on front of my head it took away some major coverage options. What I've found is what has been posted here before time and time again............we're our own worst critic and most others couldn't care less about our hair. I had very few comments on the new "military style" dew which grew to a reasonable length over the first two months.

Kudos to the H&W team for providing those of us follically challenged types maximum benefit in one session.

To those who are regulars on this and other forums, the photos I've posted are no surprise. But they certainly do show how much follicular unit hair transplantation has evolved. Hairbank and Bushy have certainly experienced these benefits first hand. Apparently they have also gotten donor scars that are of no cosmetic significance. That's great news for all of us.

Feel free to reply on the blog post as well.

Pat

Hi

Thanks for the comments however, this does not issue my concern. I have had 2 HT's which look awesome without shaving the top. If I were to a shave the top the longer hair on the sides to hide the donor cut would look rather odd. I cannot take 2 weeks off straight. I think this is a concern for those of us keeping things undercover.. Keep in mind some of us have certain limitations due to circumstances.. This is the reason for my question as I cannot afford for a Doc to shave the top and jepordize my situtaion.. Thus my concern

Cheers

Originally posted by Mrjb:

Hi

Thanks for the comments however, this does not issue my concern. I have had 2 HT's which look awesome without shaving the top. If I were to a shave the top the longer hair on the sides to hide the donor cut would look rather odd. I cannot take 2 weeks off straight. I think this is a concern for those of us keeping things undercover.. Keep in mind some of us have certain limitations due to circumstances.. This is the reason for my question as I cannot afford for a Doc to shave the top and jepordize my situtaion.. Thus my concern

Cheers

Mrjb, I understand. Where do you need most of your work done? If that it is your absolute desire to notshave the recipient area, I imagine Dr. Hasson will agree not to shave it, as he did with me originally. I suggest you give him or Joe a call.

Hi

At this point I need a little more crown work and then to fill in the density overall.. Hairline is great compliments of Dr. True ..No way more than 2500 grafts I would estimate. That would give me a total of almost 5500 and a full restoration.. I 'm still at 8 months and expecting some more growth and density in the crown.. I just can't worry about shaving my head or the chance of this.

Cheers

I have a question for Pat or anyone on this job. The procedure is top notch of course but I am wondering why the old circular plug scars in the donor area were left.

Sometimes these are stripped out and it appears the strip area is all virgin. Looking closely it appears the plugs were below the strip taken.

I had a strip done in which they took out some of the old circular plug scars from a prior bad HT with the strip. They can extract all FU's around any scar tissue in that strip. It would make for more tedious work for the technichions but it is worth it to get rid of those ugly circular scars which were left in this case.

Think of the bigger picture: Heaven forbid, if you were in a car accident

you could be out of commission for upwards of two weeks. So just plan two weeks off from work,

and then you're good to go with a short cut. Don't be short-sighted....

Although I don't normally, I think I could wear a baseball cap to work.

Instead of taking two weeks off, is there any problem with wearing

a loose baseball cap to work for a month or so after a hair transplant?

No, not a problem to wear a ballcap if you're allowed to wear one at work.

Thanks Janna. I am part owner so I think I can get away with it. :)

BTW...Janna I saw several videos last night of Dr. Ron Shapiro and was quite impressed. What a well spoken, obviously competent guy. I am studying different doctors and like Hasson/Wong because it appears I can get one session results from a top notch clinic. Which means one flight, one hotel, one long day in the surgery chair, one recovery period, ect. From my limited knowledge it appears Dr. Shapiro prefers two sessions to do say 4500-5000 grafts? I was wondering what are the primary reasons he prefers to not do one large session? Is it staff weariness in such a long session and he feels a better result over different sessions? Or that the body responds better to not have that much trauma in one day? Just curious as to his thinking on this matter. Thanks for any info.

Edited by Shampoo

Part owner, even better. :)

It's been a while since I've seen the video interviews and don't recall when they were done. *Most of them need updating....

While our doctors do not have the most aggressive approach in the ht industry, they are not the most conservative. *Our session sizes have steadily increased as new techniques, instrumentations, and products were introduced in the last several years to allow bigger sessions more safely than in the past. *If Dr. Shapiro thought a session of 4500 was appropriate, he would perform it provided the patients has the density and laxity in the donor area. It's not a matter of wearing out the technicians as there are 12 of us. *We do 3500 to 4500 graft sessions on a regular basis. *What you won't find is 5000+ sessions from us unless the patient happened to have way above average donor density. *But our goal wouldn't be to do such a big session. *I don't believe our doctors have gone beyond harvesting a 2 cm width strip. *

A lot depends on what the expectations of the patient happens to be and what their ht goals are. *If a patient has extensive loss, it's be tough to do a "one and done", even with a 4500-5000 graft session because a large area will be covered. *When you look at results of many clinics and the "mega sessions" that were performed, many of those patients went back for *another session. *One reason is that the density will be lacking in many of those cases since the grafts were used to achieve coverage rather than achieve density. *Patients donor supply play a major factor in session sizes that are performed. *

Hope that addresses your question. Happy New Year!!

Thanks for the clarification Janna....

I may come see you guys in the Spring for a consult.

MN is much closer for me than BC.

But my options are still very much open.

I am trying to learn as much as I can before my consults.

I just discovered the doctor videos & they are a wonderful resource for knowledge for prospective patients.

Even if you are not going to most of the doctors each one of them is

a wealth of information that helps a patient become better educated.

Videos:

Interviews with our recommended hair transplant physicians

Edited by Shampoo