*3 1/2 month update with pics* About 1650 grafts with Dr. Alexander on June 23rd,2006

tkerr22

Finally took a couple of pics of my hair from my HT with Scott Alexander on June 20th,2005. Hard to take pics of yourself but here are two. one above shot and one above/front. Any opinions would be great. Only been 5 months and I see it getting thicker each week. Going to try and grow my hair out some more as well. This is my third HT overall and basically all that hair up fron is HT. opinions and questions appreciated!

9531045932_7240DB8E453A3BE0771EF3AD94881983.IMG_2469[1].thumb 8771026512_54F531D2B5CD908C37501C5E0838D27F.jpg.thumb 5481012222_C1242EF2DE6255BC84976BB669D18792.jpg.thumb 5291090681_33053413757428F8B34775BFAE210057.IMG_1870[1].thumb 5181054172_2B39CCF41367B41AB93C52AD179F2D01.JPG.thumb 4291090681_ABDD63E19283D13F92C301E59642CE00.IMG_1871[2].thumb 4271026512_BC6CF519619E661E1887F8F3467C0737.jpg.thumb 3671012222_3F6730D2ECB88F4BDCD55C48F5D060A5.jpg.thumb 3291090681_E557B1D3841E836A32E5FE4A90D9B100.IMG_1869[1].thumb 2131045932_D73511496C9F3AA464D2DE6189C69B13.IMG_2466[1].thumb 2081012222_91106BB49046E2DE8C4B4365F5EFFD39.jpg.thumb 2071054172_BC544CBE8C02C58F349FE8D900F83AEF.JPG.thumb 1781012222_8115A5EB4218AF56A66B50AE52B5A812.jpg.thumb 1521085742_1104516ED6ADDB95BF89DEE919BB36E2.jpg.thumb 1371012222_B3F80A4DD4CA9F472B0756F847BE27BC.jpg.thumb

hey Tkerr22,

Wow, looks great if you ask me, but I don't have much to compare it to icon_wink.gif. Do you have any before pics so we can see the before/after? Where did the docs concentrate your grafts?

Ha, well....it's actually easy to take pics of yourself...you just have to do it a couple hundred times like me and you get real good at it icon_wink.gif. LOL.

You still look pretty red on top though, or is that the lighting. Is it still red from the surgery? Are you putting anything on it? It looks more red than mine and I'm 4 months.

I look forward to seeing your progress. Post some before pics if you got em.

Bill

think it might be a little bit red, but mostly lighting along with my redish brown hair. Doc put all up front to midscalp. Have a little bald spot towards the crown and it thins out back there too. Will probably go back to get one more session done in a year or so and get midscalp to the crown. Will try and find a before pic but probably won't be like these that concentrate on the hair. Might ask Dr. Alexander to send me one of the before pics he took.

Appreciate the honest opinion though Bill, and along with my redish brown hair my skin ingeneral gets kinda pink and red since I am Irish, but in person does not look nearly as red as that one pic, but not too bad for under bright lights in the bathroom eh?? will work on my self camera picture taking skills and see if i can improve, but thought I'd show you me since I have seen so much of you. Will try and update every couple of weeks or so.

any other opinions would be great! Fire away!

Looks good, but why did you require 3 HT's for the front only? How many grafts in total?

I just had my first HT 2 weeks ago and the doc said I could expect 50% growth by next May, so you should have more hair to come(?)

PB

well first one was about 2000 grafts, second one I went to some horrible doc who gave me a whole 500. so this was my third, but I consider it actually my second since the real second did basically nothing. It was for the front and midscalp too, all of that hair there is transplanted, no native left. I still have enought donor hair too for one more round which I might do in a year or so for the crown and from midscalp back to thicken that up

tkerr22,

I don't doubt that you will see some more thickening up in the next couple of months. As you have demonstrated in your photos, Dr. Alexander performs some great work.

Also, I don't think he would have a problem sending you some "before" shots if you shoot his office an email requesting them.

Happy growing!

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 1 month later...

no real big news to share, I believe my hair is still thickening up front but it kinda makes the midscalp and crown look even thinner now since the front is so thick! (can never please a guy eh?) so called Dr. Alexander and will probably go back and see him in march for another consultation and for him to see what we can do from here. I would like to get my next procedure in July, it will have been just over a year, is that enough time in between HT's?This time it will be nice since it will be for the midscalp and crown I will still have all my hair up front. I was amazed by how quick my tightness in the back of head went away after my last HT, probably three or so days and it wasn't tight anymore, is that a good sign if you want to get another HT a year later?

tkerr22,

In order to get a better idea of your overall progress.......how many grafts did you have in the first 2 sessions? You had 2500 the 3rd time around, correct?

Your progress looks good.

Hairbank

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• 1 month later...

just thought I would add two more pics. AM at 8 months out of my HT with Alexander in Phoenix. Am really happy with my results! hard to really tell any difference in pics but I feel and look thicker than my past pics. I had my hair quite a bit longer and that made it look really thick but I like to keep it short and got tired of the longer hair. My hair also tends to stick straight up and not lie flat but still looks thick even straight up. Am going to see Alexander again near end of the month to get check up and schedule my next HT for my crown and back midscalp area which are both thin. But am happy am all done with the front and after one more HT will be all done! all the hair up front is transplanted, I had two Ht's before Alexander but my hair was really thin and the first HT was 2000 grafts and the second was 500. He really added a ton of density and am able to style my hair for the first time in forever!

• 4 weeks later...

added some new pics, some of pre ht with Dr. Alexander and a couple that were taken yesterday. all pics were taken with the same camera under same lighting. Yes, there is a blue background in new pics but that is it. Am very happy with my new hair and cannot wait to fill in the back area in June. I have noticed a huge difference, biggest being you can't see thru to my scalp like you used to. any questions or feedback would be great. The scar picture is also amazing that he removed all that in one HT and was able to get as many grafts as he did in between them with all the railroad track scars.

Wow! Huge difference tkerr22. What a difference a quality doctor makes.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

thanks you guys. appreciate the feedback. cannot wait to get the back midscalp and small crown done in june! Hopefully soon after I can sell my remaining toppik on ebay!!! Any others with feedback would be great. I think it's awesome that we have this support group!

• 1 month later...

added two new pics at 11 months post HT, growing my hair longer. I have wavy hair which can be kinda unmanageable but better than no hair! also was taken after I got up this morning so kinda got bed head. Next month am going in to get the back and midscalp done as well, am very excited as this should be my last HT! any comments or questions always appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

I am getting ready to head down to Phoenix tonight for my next HT with Dr. Alexander tomorrow. Am really excited yet nervous as well. He did a great job for my front 1/3 and am looking to get the same results for the rest of my midscalp and crown. Will be asking him to give me all the info on the procedure and will be updating my pics as well when I get back home. He is putting me up at a 5 star resort for two nights as well, so afterwards I get to recover in one of the nicest resorts in Phoenix. wish me luck, not that I'll need it!

Lookin' good tkerr. Thanks for posting. Keep us up to date on how your next procedure goes.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Okay, got back from Phoenix a few hours ago from having my second HT with Dr. Alexander. Overall, a pleasant experience and now I play that dreaded waiting game once again.

I arrived at his office around 7:30 where the doc and I talked for a bit about our gameplan and what would be best. He was very honest with me and stated that with my past HT's my donar area was not as dense as it once was and was a little tighter as well. So we came up with the gameplan to fill in the rest of my midscalp very dense and leave the small crown spot alone. At first I was a little sad about this but I know I would rather have a nice, thick mane of hair up front and on the top of my head than a thick front with a thinner midscalp and thin crown area. So, that was the gameplan and that is what we did. He densed packed somewhere around 1600-1700 grafts behind my new front and to the spot on my head where it slopes down. He really packed them in and cannot wait to have that thick hair all the way to my crown! I got outof his office around 4 and my wife drove me back to the wonderful Arizona Biltmore which is only a mere 5 minutes away

I recouped the rest of the night there taking pain meds for my donor area from time to time, no extreme pain just annoying aching. My donar area is very tight right now and it hurts to lay on the back of my head as the stitches make it not so comfortable. But other than some mid aching and tightness I feel fine and we ordered some room service for dinner. Tried to sleep but didn't get much, and we drove home this morning. Have spent the day jus trying to get some more rest and have taken some tylenol to alleviate some aching. Will be going to go take a shower here soon and wash the donor area good, going in next friday to get the stitches out, as Dr. Alexander believes leaving stictches in too long can lead to more scarring, and I know from previous HT's it feels so much better when they are out!! Will put up some pics most likely monday, thanks for all your support! and if you have any qurstions feel free to ask!

It's been 3 days now since my last HT. Has been rough sleeping with every time I lay on my sutures they cause pressure and some aching. I am still pretty tight, but seems to be not as bad as the first day. I noticed that there is quite a bit of dry blood around my sutures, especially on the left side that was very tight. The grafts themeselves look allright and have quite a bit of scabbing going on. I bled very bad during surgery and the doc said this meant I have good blood supply. Didn't make his work any easier though, but is a good environment for growth. I think when I can get this excess blood off of my suture area it might loosen things up a little bit. Other than that no pain today and I am feeling good! Looking forward to this stitches getting out friday and to get on with the waiting period! am excited to know in a few months will have a nice head of hair minus a half dollar sized bald spot on my crown. But with my new hair, if it grows in as good as it did in the front, will be able to cover that small bald spot! I have added a pic of the area that got transplanted, pic is pretty blurry, but that's my camera I have. You at least get the idea of the density he creates with all the grafts packed into a smaller area. And like I said, there is quite a bit of bloody grafts cause I am a bleeder, damn scottish heritage!!

• 2 weeks later...

Sad night last night as the dreaded shock loss has begun. I noticed quite a few short stubble hairs coming out along with quite a few longer hairs, sigh....but I know it's all good cause that menas things are progressing as planned but it always stinks to see all those babies go as well as some other hair, the ugly phase has begun and hopefully will fly by fast this time. The good thing is since all my hair was transplanted on the top can't really see it unless I use a couple of mirrors, so just gonna have to keep that second mirror away from me!hehe.

• 3 weeks later...

Am now at just a little over a month out and this is the hard time. been thru it before last year but always makes you a little down. Had shockloss to the midscalp where I had some hair before, not much, but some. And there is basically nothing there right now because whateer didn't go thru shockloss was buzzed really short and can barely be seen. This just makes it hard to apply toppik or any concealer since before when I had some hair there it made it look good. Think the shockloss has curtailed pretty much, not finding a ton of hair in my hands when I shower, just one here and there which is pretty normal. I just hate this part beacause I look so much worse than I did before, wish another month or so would fly back to get back to where I was before this last HT. When all the scabs did fall off and I could see all the grafts looks really good and was very dense packed. But am trying to stay positive and see this as the next step to getting a fuller head of hair. I have some shock loss around the donar strip on the left side just like I did last time as well so I have to keep my hair a little longer then I like to. Overall though am impressed with Dr. Alexander's ability to dense pack so good, and just have to keep in mind that is why I had some shockloss. Chin up!!

tkerr-

No doubt about it...........waiting and shock loss sucks! Hopefully it will come back soon. I've heard it taking 4 months but my shocked hair came back just over the 2 month mark. Just a little more time and you'll be on the way to seeing some real results.

Hang in there!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

thanks hairbank for all your advice and support, I remember last time I looked worse than before my HT until a little after 2 months then i started to look like I did before so hopefully that will happen again this time and I only have another month or so. Thanks again man

• 4 weeks later...

OK, at the good old 2 month post op period. Didn;t include any new pics because there is no significant changes as of yet. At close inspection I can see quite a few short stubs of hair here and there and can feel quite a bit with my hand. Had quite a bit of shockloss and am just now starting to approach how I looked preop. I can see quite a few other hairs that are lighter in color as well. Have shockloss under my scar on the left side of my head, but I thikn all the shock loss has halted and now I look forward to the next few months where hopefully the growth starts to kick in!