Dr Feller 3,500+ grafts Jan '09

AdamB

Adam,

How are you feeling this close to your procedure? I know often I'm filled with excitement with a bit of anxiety as the surgical day approaches.

Be sure to get plenty of rest the night before the procedure and eat a good size breakfast.

You'll be in good hands! Keep us posted.

Bill

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill,

In regards to sleeping the night before the surgery. When I get nervous I have a hard time sleeping. I can imagine the night before the surgery I will be up all night! Should I get a sleeping pill for the night before? Please advise.

Ps. I probably wouldnt be as nervous, however the upcoming HT is all consuming.

Canadian_buba

3500 Grafts

Dr. Rahal

Jan 12 09

My Hair Loss WebLog

Thanks for all the kind words

Canadian_buba, the actual procedures on the 9th Jan as you say a little anxious but should be able to compare results.

Mike, Yeah sorry about the photos on there i will definatly get some better pics done before the procedure might not be till after the procedure that i can post them though.

Bill, Thanks I have been excited for the months leading up to this with no worry at all just excitment as you say now it's getting closer i'm more anxious and a little nervous but still very excited and looking forward to it!

===========================================

3,500+ Grafts Jan 9th '09 Dr Alan Feller

View my Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

AdamB good luck with your procedure. I have my procedure with Dr Feller on March 9th of this year so I will be 2 months behind you. Even though I am two months behind i am getting a little anxious as well. Look on the bright side, i will probably be jealous of you because you will be two months ahead of me and growing before me =p

• 2 weeks later...

Spex, Thanks for adding the pics pal!

I stayed in the Grand Hyatt in manhatten for the first 2 days i was there then moved to The Andrew for the night before and after the op and back to Grand Hyatt for the final night before i went home.

New York is an amazing city i absolutely loved it there even if your not going there to see Dr Feller I can highly recommend going to New York as it's an amazing and stunning place!

I'll just write a bit about the day for anyone going to Dr Feller so you know what to expect more.

I got to the office early about 7.30 and a few minutes later Dr Feller arrived, i'll be honest at this point i was feeling a little nervous, but he arrived smiling and joking with me making me feel instantly at ease we went into his office and we discussed what i wanted to achieve and he drew a plan out.

At this point the techs started to arrive I believe a total of 8 were needed for my session. We next went into the local anesetic room where i laid face down on a chair and the injections were given to numb the donor area this was not too bad but i can see why people say it's the worst part you do get a short sharp pain but this soon disapears i had a fair few of these going across the back of the head.

You then walk through to what i'll call the "working room" this is past the workstations for the techs where you sit in a chair and then Dr Feller with the help of the techs takes the donor strip which for me was about 30cm x 1.5cm i believe this was the part i wasn't looking forward to although you don't feel any pain you can feel a little pressure and the cutting noise is like someone cutting carpet but really it's all in your head and is over and stapled up in 30mins or so and Dr Feller was talking me through what was going on and reasuring me the whole time.

The strips are given to the techs and they do thier magic on them while Dr Feller adds anesetic to the recipient area again a little painful as before but goes quickly then Dr Feller made the recipent holes. You can almost fall asleep at this point you only feel a little pressure but there is no pain at all.

Now 2 or 3 techs start placing the grafts 2 placing and 1 keeping the area wet in my case the techs are really nice and were chatting laughing and joking with me which kept me entertained and also kept me at ease this goes on for a fair while and Dr Feller actually needed to add some more holes for me i believe i ended up with 3,600+ grafts in the end.

I was then finished about 4.30 and Dr Feller gave me some pain killers and i was on my way.

I want to thank Dr Feller and all the techs they are truely lovely people and made me feel so relaxed and were so caring and friendly they really made the day so much better for me than i expected it to be.

I went to the hotel with a fresh bandage added on the donor area i decided not to wear a cap as i didn't want to risk knocking the grafts and didn't really care who saw me and i did this till about sun only wearing a cap for the flight home.

I took the pain killers every 4 hours on the first night and setup my bed with 4 pillows to allow me to sleep upright at 45 degrees on the first morning i had some swelling on my forehead but slept the same way the following night and from then had no more swelling at all!

I also had no pain the whole time although now i am finding it a little hard to sleep as laying on the staples is a little sore and uncomfortable the best night sleep i had was actually the first night when i was still numb lol but the staples come out on mon which is 10 days post op so not too much longer.

I just wanna thanks spex as well as he's always answered all my questions straight away and just before i left i was phoning him a few times with questions and he was always happy to stop and talk so thanks bud.

Also thanks to everyone on the forums here and others for all your help guidance and support it's been great i'll make sure i keep you all updated with pictures and will take some more when the staples are removed.

i bet you'll be one very happy camper in 6-8 months and the graft placement looks flawless and very dense. your hair colour is a big plus too and will blend in nicely with your scalp.

looking forward to your progress and happy growing!

Hi AdamB,

Congratulations.

I think i met you when you were in the surgical chair. Dr.Feller introduced me to you in the lunch time. My second procedure was done with Dr.Feller yesterday. I will post some pics, once i receive it from the Dr.Feller.

Good Luck and grow well...

-- RK

Hi RK,

Was really nice to meet you mate!

I think i was a bit spaced out when i spoke to you lol

Was really nice to meet you i've just looked at your pre-op photos and wow what a difference you really must be so chuffed!!

Is your second procedure for the crown area? how many grafts did you have for the second one?

Ad

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Thought i'd give you all an update, i don't have the camera with me at the minute but i have done update photos at around 8 days post and 16 days post op so will post these up when i have time (hopefully tonight) but basically here is where i am at....

At 10 days had the staples removed by the nurse at the GP (she was really excited to see me back as it was the same one i had do my blood results and i told her i was going to New York for a HT and thats why i needed them and she geniunely seemed interested at the time but i know she was interested when i went back she was asking to see it asking what it was like out there if the way they do things is similar to the UK etc. so had a good chat with her she said it was healing well and the staples definatly needed to come out>. Anyway waffling now...)so yeah had them removed which was actually alot less painful than i thought!! Some removed without me even noticing at all other gave a tiny pinch as they came out but nothing really.

Once the staples were out it was like total bliss! but at the same time i also felt alot more delicate so spent the next few days being very careful. (i'm still being careful now but not to the extremes as i was then lol)

I've been using spex's suggested post-op kit and having Vitamin C, Omega 3,6,9, aloe vera gel with tea tree (at least 2 times a day) and just started MSM as well as obviously staying on the proscar/propecia i did buy some rogaine foam but have decided against using it not sure why really lol just not that sure i want to use it so if anyone needs some for a discount contact me lol.

So here we are at 17 days post op and all seems to be doing well so far the scar seems to healing really well not causing me much problems at all from what people have said that i've shown it is about a pencil line think and pink which sounds good to me!!

The recipient area has now pretty much completely shed all the scabs some scabs shed with hairs in them which i hear is normal so now i have a slightly pink scalp but also still have a fair few hairs in probably i guess around 60%?!? i think it's probably my imagination but i think they might have grown a little too but i'm not going to get carried away just yet!

I decided against shaving my head down i got it cut but just got it tidyed up and the hair dresser said how good she thought it looked she left enough hair to cover the scar still and said the scar looks really good and smooth she thought it would be raised.

The reason i left my hair and didn't buzz it down is i just wear a cap when i'm outside and that covers the recipient and the scar with my hair at this length but if it was buzzed my scar would show with a cap on i think. Also i work in an office and only 2 other people are in here so i don't care them seeing me they know i had it done. So i just wear a cap to and from the office then take it off.

So thats where i am at present i'll update the photos later and keep the updates coming!

Any questions just ask and i'll try my best lol cheers again for everyones support and advice on the forums.

Adam,

It looks really good! How are you dealing with wearing a hat all the time? Do you wear the hat at work? When Im out side of my home I wear a hat all the time. I shaved my whole head down to a number 1 after the surgery and fell kinda strange as I have not had my hair that short every! Mind you it feels nice!

Canadian_buba

3500 Grafts

Dr. Rahal

Jan 12 09

My Hair Loss WebLog

buba,

I only really wear the hat outside so it's not too bad theres two people i work with and they have seen it now so i don't mind them seeing it anymore so i literally wear the cap from the car to the office door then it comes off and spend the day with it off until home time.

I was debating on buzzing it down but decided against it i've never had it really short and just chickened out i guess lol but also it hides the scar at the minuite too.

Ad

Hey adam!

Great pics and explanation of your surgery with dr feller.

I cant wait to see you in 3 months time or so. I'm almost 2 months post myself!

Judging from your pics your crown also seems to be thinning - are you on propecia/minioxidil or do you plan on a 2nd procedure (or neither?)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

Mike, Thanks i've been on propecia for almost a year now and have some rogaine foam but so far have not started the rogaine.

You are correct the crown is thinning but the front was my priority (out of sight out of mind type thing lol) no seriously i wanted the front sorted which it now should be i can use a product like nanogen on the crown for now but i am indeed hoping to get the crown sorted in the future. Dr Feller said my donor was good and i had enough to do another one and possible two more procedures should i need/wish to.

hairdoyle, replied to your pm dude.

E-man, Thanks for the kind words, the pics are with a new camera i got for going to New York icon_smile.gif that was my plan hopefully as i'm just getting on with normal life the time will fly by (thats the idea anyway).

Thanks for upping the pics, looking good, does not seem like there is any shock loss, and you still have plenty of grafts in the front area, looks like they don't want to come out!

Just the waiting to grow now then Adam icon_smile.gif

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts