Dr Feller 3,500+ grafts Jan '09

AdamB

Hi everybody,

While i don't post much on these forums i can assure you i have spent many hours on here reading through posts and threads and just trying to get all the information i need let me give you some background on me as taken from an older post...

"Hi everyone,

I'm 22 from the uk and have been losing my hair slowly since about the age of 18 i've tried potions, lotions, nourkrin and now on propecia for about 9 months which while seems to be steadying hair loss has not improved it any.

I am also using the hair thickener fibres on the crown.

Well i'm tired of people being suprised when i tell them my age thinking i am alot older and having no confidence in myself i don't want to leave the house anymore i'm that low.

I decided the only way was a HT and so started looking about i contacted the Norton Clinic who replied with an idea of things and wanted me to go to a consultation. I was about to do this when i stumbled across a Youtube video showing a bad result and googled them and ended up coming here. Well i'm damned glad i did!! can't find anyone with a good thing to say about them."

So for the next few months (and a while before that) i have been doing research as i knew a transplant was the way i needed to go to make me happy and after speaking to many places i was overwhelmed by a)the help i recieved from spex and b) the seemingly endless evidence of Dr Feller's work and so finally decided on Dr Feller.

The Dr suggested a 3,500+ graft which would involve making a new hairline and working backwards as far as possible with the safest amount of grafts avalible on the day.

I booked in for Jan '09 as this was the earliest Dr Feller had available (another testiment to his work i think) and with the deposit now paid and flights and hotel booked for the nights surrounding the procedure all booked it's all starting to become a reality and while i feel the tiniest bit nervous it's being far outweighed by the excitment i have that it's coming together.

I've booked flights with Virgin Atlantic as i've used them before and the time goes so much faster with movies and things to watch and the actual flights wern't too bad. I decided to stay in the Andrew hotel the night before and proceeding the procedure as it was a fair price and looks a nice place but will be staying somewhere in the city for the rest of the time so i can see New York in all it's glory (hopefully with Christmas lights too icon_smile.gif) i am going to fly out 4 days before and go home 2 days after the procedure to get me relaxed and also use the trip as a mini holiday!

I had my blood taken today for the bloodwork required before the procedure so should get that back next week.

Overall i'm really happy it's all happening I don't want to take away the pain of lossing hair from anyone else as it is a hurtful and painful thing for most guys that it effects i think but being my age it truly is upsetting to me and i'm just glad thiers places like this for me to do my research and people like spex and the rest on here to give information and people like Dr Feller who are skilled and can change things for people.

I hope you all don't mind but i'd like to pick your brains for a few questions as i think i've given spex enough questions over the last few months lol!

Firstly how long should i grow the hair in the donor area before the procedure is there a good length to hide the area that will be used?

Anyone thats been to where Fellers clinic is my Mum is going to be coming with me and wondered what is near Fellers Office that would be interesting for her as she won't go further than walking distance on the day incase she's somehow needed (you know what mums are like!) Any ideas what she can do?

I've had the blood work done and paid the deposit and will pay the final amount soon (damn the economic state lol) is there anything else that you can think that i need/should/you recommend i do before, during or after the procedure?

I currently use Propecia and NanoFibres to help with the hair loss is thier anything else you think i could add at this point or after the procedure i plan on keeping on using these after the procedure also.

Anyother tips or tricks that you might have for the me would be greatly appriciated no matter how silly you think they may be i'd love to hear them.

Many Thanks

Adam

Oh i'll try get a log going soon so you can follow my progress!

===========================================

3,500+ Grafts Jan 9th '09 Dr Alan Feller

View my Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam,

Congratulations on your choice to go through with hair transplant surgery with an excellent surgeon.

Actually I can't believe that Jan 2009 is actually only a few months away. Can you believe it? You'll be in great hands!

If you are concerned about covering the staples/sutures, grow your donor area to at least 3/4 of an inch.

I'm not sure what I can tell your mom to do if she is waiting for you. My wife came with me for all 3 of my hair transplants and basically just sat in the waiting room and read the whole day. I imagine there are some attractions she could do in the city if she's interested. And cabs are always easy to find in the city icon_smile.gif

If Propecia is currently stabilizing your hair loss, you shouldn't need to do anything else after surgery. Rogaine can also be helpful and is even synergistic when used with Propecia.

Best wishes for successful hair regrowth,

Bill

Adam:

booked in for Jan '09 as this was the earliest Dr Feller had available (another testiment to his work i think)

I think there is such a long waiting time because dr. Feller is maybe spending too much attacking the laser comb issue on this forum icon_wink.gif

You are definitely in good hands with dr. Feller. Hope you will be posting your pre-op pics and your results. Best wishes.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

I didn't get a haircut for six weeks prior and that definitely was enough to hide the scar for me...but then I went ahead and evened it out by shaving it all off two weeks after surgery.

Other suggestions:

1. Do your grocery shopping and home cleaning before you leave

2. Figure out how you are gowing to sleep (45-degrees) prior to leaving for the procedure

2. Add MSM to your regiment

3. Similar to what Bill said, after your procedure I would add Rogaine Foam to your regiment as well (ask Dr. Feller about this)

4. Bring shirts/jacket that buttons or zips up to surgery and to wear after--you do not want to pull anything over your head during this time

5. Buy a couple of loose fitting hats to wear after surgery (I only bought one and wish I had bought a couple more for variety)

6. Look at Spex's list

You are in good hands and Jan will be here before you know it

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Thanks Bill i will make sure i update it as the blogs have been most useful to me while researching and i hope to give something back!

Eman thanks for your post that is most helpful is MSM something you can buy over the counter as a tablet form? Also i'll get some regaine and start using it now i think (can't do any harm?) and keep using it after (Feller sells this also?)

Thanks all for your help so far!

Adam-

MSM is an over the counter supplement. You can get it almost anywhere from drug store, supermarket, grocery store, health food store or even Target or Walmart. I purchase mine at Costco, it is cheaper and you get a super sized bottle. You typically take 1500mg a day which is the serving size.

Rogaine can also be purchased at any of the stores mentioned above. You may want to check with Dr. Feller, as many clinics recommend not using it several days/weeks before surgery. Again, I buy mine at Costco and it is $10 cheaper for a four month supply than other stores.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Thanks mate,

I've bought some MSM and have started to take that i'm using a powdered version which you mix with water from a UK suppliments store.

I've also ordered some rogaine foam from the US as they don't seem to have it here in the UK (just the liquid). But i'm now after reading some reviews a little reluctant to use it. There seems to be very mixed reviews for it alot saying it's good and use it with propecia for good results but also a few reviews saying it irritates and causes shedding and that they would never use it again?

Bit worried/confused on what to do? icon_frown.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Adam,

Hey, this is my first post on this forum despite scouring it for information over the last 18 months. Im also from the UK and a very similar case to you in the respect that, starting losing my hair at 16/17, and am now at the age of 24 and planning my first HT, with Dr.Feller I believe. But mine will be more or less 12 months after your own. Want to save enough for 2HT's and travel for the 10/12 months interim period, just to get away!! But enough about me. Good luck to you man. Bet your real excited about it all. Maybe you could upload some more pics as the profile pics are a little small. And Ill be checking on how things progress for you. Good luck my man. May this HT be everything that you hope for!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Adam - Congrats on choosing a great surgeon and great guy. I'm almost 2 years post HT with Dr. Feller and never get tired of hearing how I look 10 years younger.

My only advice is to make sure you follow the pre-HT instructions very carefully. There's a section on not taking aspirin or alcohol for a certain amount of days (a week before the HT?). Ask the office for it at least 2 weeks before your HT, if they haven't given it to you then. Non-compliance could mean a lesser outcome.

Best of luck!

Jersey23

Adam,

Just want to wish you the best of luck my friend, over the coming 12 months and beyond, throughout your re-growth. For sure you have chosen one of the best Dr's to go ahead with this and that will for sure be an invaluable decision.

Im also a UK citizen, with a similar age and hair loss pattern to yourself, and therefore I look on to your progress with interest.

Again, much luck, Im sure it will be great.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Hello fellow youngster. Welcome to the site.

You will definitely be in great hands of dr. feller, just take a look at thanopsis_awry's results and he is your age (as am i!)

3500 is alot of grafts, i've received 4300 in 2 sessions myself - got any pics?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

Many Thanks for all the replies and good wishes i'm sorry i've not been on here for a while will make sure i stay on here longer now.

I'll get up some better pics as soon as i can probably be this weekend sometime.

I'm getting really excited now only about a month now till i fly out!

Mike thanks i'll take a look ar thanopsis results. Do you also have some pics?

Raphael, Many thanks for your good wishes i really appriciate it i'll definatly make sure i keep you up to date with things

Jersey, Thanks i got about not drinking and asprin going to make sure i'm not taking them 2 weeks before minimum just to make sure it means a sober new year for me but it will be worth it i'm sure icon_smile.gif

I just made a full pre-post up thread under "Hair Restoration Results Posted by Patients"

You might also want to check out guys like Azza786 and Fenderplayer, they are also young guns like ourselves!

Hi Springsteenfan,

Great to know theres other people my age getting HT's.

It'd be great to hear more about your procedure if you don't mind.

How are you feeling after the op? I think my biggest worry is how people are going to react seeing me the few months after the op. How are you finding it so far?

Oh feel free to PM me that if you prefer!

Cheers bud

Ad

Springsteenfan,

Welcome to our forum community and congratulations on your hair transplant.

I encourage you to create a new photo album to share your personal hair transplant experience, details, and photos with us. See instructions for creating a new hair transplant photo album.

Best wishes and happy growing!

Bill

I feel good actually. Unlike my first HT, i have no trouble sleeping, no "sudden pain cramps" of the donor area and i didnt even swell at all.

Springsteenfan,

Congratulations; you are in excellent hands. Dr. Feller has performed two procedures for me; I'm as pleased with the results as I was with his, and his staff's, care and professionalism.

At the risk of repeating others' advice, some random advice...

* CLOTHES -- On the day of the procedure, wear a t-shirt that you don't care about; it will be cut off once you're done. And definitely bring a button-down shirt to wear home afterwards; since you're going to be in NYC in the winter, you will want a warm one.

* PROTECT YOUR DOME -- Depending on where you're having the work done (crown, temples, top, some combination of those), bring a hat (baseball cap style) that is large enough to be loose on your head, and that you can wear such that it won't remotely touch the grafts. Since you're staying at a hotel that is close to the office, you're best off skipping the hat at first.

* SLEEP -- The first night (and actually, the first few nights), you must sleep propped up; aside from protecting the grafts, you will also feel some discomfort in the donor area. Since you're staying at a hotel, you might ask them for extra pillows ahead of time. I'd also suggest getting one of those neck pillows that are sold for airplane travel; they are good for supporting your head without putting pressure on the donor area, and you will be glad to have it on the international flight anyway!

* DRUGS -- Vicodin is your friend icon_smile.gif Dr. Feller and his team will give you specific instructions, but you will definitely want to take it BEFORE you start feeling any pain, the night of the procedure; it takes a little time to get working.

* NYC -- You're in one of the best cities in the world, at least in my opinion, to see things! Let me know if you'd like suggestions on things to see, the subway, et cetera...

Benjamin

• 3 weeks later...

Facelessman, Thanks for the info is very helpful.

I thought i'd bump my thread up again as i go out on tues and is a week till the procedure now.

I'll probably start a new thread soon/post op feeling a little more nervous than before now but i know i'm in good hands and i'm pretty excited really icon_smile.gif

Adam B

I am a week away from my HT procedure. I am nervous as well, however I have been planning and thinking about it for so long I just cant wait for the day to come! Your on the 12th? I guess we will be able to compare results! I will be posting pre-op pictures soon. Cheers and good luck!

Buba

Canadian_buba

3500 Grafts

Dr. Rahal

Jan 12 09

My Hair Loss WebLog

well, heres an update about my procedure with dr devroye.

As you may have read, i received almost 2.8k grafts.

Started to scab and shed like a madman at day 13 or so, and right now i look slightly worse than before. There is also some shockloss on the sidearea of my donor.

We all have to go through the ugly duckling phase.

Now i am just looking forward to month 3 or whenever i will start to grow.

Best of luck in a week man, may you be blessed with tons of grafts icon_biggrin.gif

One more thing: the pics on your weblog are really small!