HT on April 5th...

After reading comments, for months, from informed posters, I wanted to report on my HT on Friday, April 5th. After much deliberation, and, research I decided on having a 100% FU procedure performed by Dr. Beehner in Saratoga Springs, NY. The procedure went exactly as Dr. Beehner had described to me. As you know choosing a Dr. for this procedure is difficult, but, I left Dr. Beehner's office,knowing that I made the correct decision.

Dr. Beehner was conservative in the yield he sought--1508 FU's. He also had to perform some repair work from a previous transplant from 1985. All aspects of the procedure went well, and, without discompfort. In fact, I was amazed at how well it all went. He, & his staff work extremely well together, and, in an coordinated manner.

Of course, like everyone else, the waiting game now begins. I have no doubt that I'll have a natural, and, greatly improved hairline. I'm already thinking about session #2 which I hope to have in 8-12 months.

As soon as possible, I'd like to post a few pictures as others have done. I'd like to thank the regular posters who have, in their own way, have helped me make the correct choice.

Again, for those contemplating a HT procedure, please take a look at Dr. Beehner's website. I think you will be quite impressed with his approach to HT surgery. I felt he performed as well as Pat Hennessey recommmened that he would.

Thanks for reading my thoughts!

After reading comments, for months, from informed posters, I wanted to report on my HT on Friday, April 5th. After much deliberation, and, research I decided on having a 100% FU procedure performed by Dr. Beehner in Saratoga Springs, NY. The procedure went exactly as Dr. Beehner had described to me. As you know choosing a Dr. for this procedure is difficult, but, I left Dr. Beehner's office,knowing that I made the correct decision.

Dr. Beehner was conservative in the yield he sought--1508 FU's. He also had to perform some repair work from a previous transplant from 1985. All aspects of the procedure went well, and, without discompfort. In fact, I was amazed at how well it all went. He, & his staff work extremely well together, and, in an coordinated manner.

Of course, like everyone else, the waiting game now begins. I have no doubt that I'll have a natural, and, greatly improved hairline. I'm already thinking about session #2 which I hope to have in 8-12 months.

As soon as possible, I'd like to post a few pictures as others have done. I'd like to thank the regular posters who have, in their own way, have helped me make the correct choice.

Again, for those contemplating a HT procedure, please take a look at Dr. Beehner's website. I think you will be quite impressed with his approach to HT surgery. I felt he performed as well as Pat Hennessey recommmened that he would.

Thanks for reading my thoughts!

Congratulations on your decision. I too have had the opportunity to consult with Dr. Beehner. It was my impression that even though he will deliver an all FU procedure, that is not his specialty. He usually likes to use a combined approach and feels he gets his best artistic results by doing so. This is where I am stuck. I have seen his work and like you, have heard enough positive feedback from clients to make me feel confident that he will deliver an excellent result. My feeling however is that I do not want to compromise his artistic ability by going with an all FU procedure. But, after reading these forums for the past 2 months, I feel that anything else other than an all FU procedure would be a mistake. Is this the same conclusion that you came too?

Thanks..

PS. Let us know how things are going (4 days post op) and get the pictures to Pat.. would love to see them.

Nat:

I understand your feelings when it comes to making this decision--(it took me years)...although I was aware that Dr. Beehner uses mini-grafts in his practice, I was extremely confident in his overall artistic ability--as he states, all doctors have a "procedural bias"...since he'll perform the HT whichever way the patient wants, it was a "no brainer" for me, especially in light of his credentials...four days post-op now, and, healing is on-going...I should have the donor area stiches removed by the weekend...then it's a matter of waiting for nature to take it's course...good luck when your procedure date rolls around--you'll be in great hands!!

Mike

Would anyone please comment on their results if they have had a mixed graft procedure with fu's and mini grafts? I understand this topic has been discussed before but I am considering this method to add density (as well as naturalness) by using fu's along the hairline. I'd very much like to hear how satisfied anyone who has had the blended graft method of fu's and mini's has been.

By the way, Dr Beehner and others who are using this method have only the highest credentials in my opinion and I've read that they feel this adds needed density and, done by the hands of a skilled surgeon, is fairly undetectable. If the mini's they use are small enough I suppose this is the case. But how detectable is "fairly undetectable" and under what conditions are they noticable?

What are your opinions on this topic and how satisfied are you if you've gone this route.

Thanks in advance for your help

[This message was edited by Dude on April 11, 2002 at 05:51 AM.]

Dude,

You brought up a hot topic, so I will go against the grain for sake of opinion. Most will advocate all FU procedures, I fully support that approach, however I had a HT as you suggest with some "doubled FU's" I will call them "small" mini's, others may call them a million other names. I am very happy with my results. I cant find even a hair dresser who can see a difference in my hair appearance, in fact it is nearly impossibe after one year to find the scar. Choose your doctor wisely !! others have had dismal results with mini's and I am only speaking for myself. The minis I have are only on top well behind the frontal FU's, and yes the higher volume is noticable and natural. Having said my account of limited quantity mini's..proceed with caution, and good luck !!!

I have had two procedures w/Dr. Beehner. There has been enough time that both have grown in completly. Am I satisfied with the results? Yes, because my expectations were realistic. There is an abvious cosmetic improvement.

Is it undetectable? Absolutely not. FU's were used at the hairline and look quite natural. As far as the minigrafts in the middle of the top of my head, if I seperate the hair with my fingers, I can see obvious "plugs", meaning there are several hairs from a small graft, a bald space, more grafts and so on. I comb my hair straight back and wear it several inches long. In that style it is not easily noticed that I had the procedure. This is beacause the hair combed back blends with the hair behind it and offers decent coverage.

Does my barber know I had an HT? Yes. Did I have to tell him? NO.

The bottom line is, I don't feel the result is undetectable as far as the mini's. If you want closer to undetectable, I would suggest all FU's by a skilled surgeon. That list would include Dr. Beehner. If I were to have a 3rd HT, I would consider him, however I would want all FU's.

I can't speak for anyone else's procedure(s), I just want to give a candid view of my own experience.

I wonder why the combo then? Great question for Dr. Beehner. He has been very kind to answer ? on this site many times. He must have reasons. I think it is a multiple of factors such as texture, color, donor supply, expectations, etc.

Go figure

• 2 weeks later...

Got quite the response on the Mini/FCU topic didn't we? Great answers from everyone..Especially Dr. Beehner and Arfy..

Going on Three weeks post-op. How are things progressing? Any Shock? Itchy scalp? Still red? Is it noticable?

Thanks in advance for any feedback that you can provide.. Pic's too if you have them..

Nat:

Your're right, we did start a great dialogue on the FU/Minigraft subject, which made for great reading...after passing the two-week post-op mark, I've gotten past the crusting/scabbing phase...itching is definitely a symtom I'm experiencing now, in the donor area but, it's gradually disappearing...in general, the tenderness of the donor area is also subsiding (sleeping on the incision doesn't help)...I had a local dermatologist remove the stiches, and, he was very impressed with Dr. Beehner's work...compared to pictures I've seen posted, the redness I've experienced isn't as great--right now, the redness in the recepient area is very slight...I have some existing coverage, which helps me conceal the HT--I don't believe anyone, in work, is aware that I've had a HT procedure...my prior HT (80 plugs)in the anterior scalp obscures my ability to take good pictures of the recepient area, so I haven't posted my results...so far, all is going well...I'm going to try to stay patient as I wait for the dorment phase of the HT to pass...all in all, my recent HT experience went extremely well, and, I'm definitely having a second procedure when the waiting period passes...compared to the methods of 1985, transplants as performed by surgeons, like Dr. Beehner, are very tolerable, and, an "art form".

Mike