Graft Yield

Guest dude1

I'm posting this on the "ask surgeons" section of the forum in hopes of getting a few responses from the doctors. I'm confused about the yield some doctors can get from roughly the same size strip, while other doctors also using microscopes and experienced techs get a yield of roughly 1000 vs 3000-4000. Why this difference? Strips in most cases seem to be about 25 cm by 1 or 1.5 cm. Also, what is the typical yield per cm2?

Thanks for providing information.

I'm posting this on the "ask surgeons" section of the forum in hopes of getting a few responses from the doctors. I'm confused about the yield some doctors can get from roughly the same size strip, while other doctors also using microscopes and experienced techs get a yield of roughly 1000 vs 3000-4000. Why this difference? Strips in most cases seem to be about 25 cm by 1 or 1.5 cm. Also, what is the typical yield per cm2?

Thanks for providing information.

dude1:

The typical yield is just under 100 follicular units (~230 hairs) per sq. cm. for the average caucasian male. The range can vary dramatically so you need to determine an individuals F.U. density prior to planning harvest.

Brad Limmer, MD/jac

See also:

http://www.hair-restoration-info.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=5696015661&f=3466060861&m=5926076774

Dr. Limmer

There are techniques and devises that help the physician determine the patients donor density. There is a huge difference between 80 Follicular units per sq. cm and 100 Follicular units per sq. cm in the donor area. Most hair restoration surgeons keep the strip to 1 cm or less. You can be assured that those who claim to yield 3000-4000

Follicular units are taking strips 1.5-2.0 cm wide. These wider strips could potentially cause wider donor scars. I believe that using microscopes allows more grafts to be obtained with less waste created when compared to graft dissection without microscopes.

Thank you Drs Limmer and Charles.

I was told my density was somewhere around 90 FU cm2 which I believe is average. I'm not sure of the length of the strip from my first surgery a year or two ago but I don't think it went from ear to ear. How long is the 'average' strip? Your comment Dr Charles that the high yield strips are probably 2 cm wide certainly makes sense now and I guess I should be grateful for the conservative approach of taking a 1 cm strip.

I believe in retrospect that a yield of 1200 to 1500 FU's seems about right for this size strip.

dude1:

If your density is 90 FU/CM2, you would need 11.1 CM2 donor surface area to obtain 1000 FU grafts. This could be taken in different widths and lengths: Example- 1 CM wide X 11.1 CM long, 1.2 CM wide X 9.25 CM long, 1.5 CM wide X 7.4 CM long. In order to keep the scar narrow in final width after healing it is advisable to keep the donor narrow. Obviously, the narrower it is, the longer it has to be.

Bobby Limmer, MD/jac icon_wink.gif

Dr. Limmer