22 and panicking, help please?

Hi there, new member here guys. Im 22 years old and my temples are receading pretty badly. I can just about hide it just now due to having long hair but ultimately i need to get it fixed. No longer can i go on with worrying about the least little gust of wind, drizzle of rain and constant paranoid antics when i walk past a mirror.

Im looking into getting a HT, and was wondering if anyone would be able to give me a rough estimation of how many hairs i would need grafted? FUE will definetely be the route i will go down when the time comes. Iv recently started using Minoxidil, Finasteride and Nizoral. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Sean

30062009283gfdgdfgdf.thumb.jpg.90b47b88e5f119ff5237a63610cadc2a.jpg

Hi there, new member here guys. Im 22 years old and my temples are receading pretty badly. I can just about hide it just now due to having long hair but ultimately i need to get it fixed. No longer can i go on with worrying about the least little gust of wind, drizzle of rain and constant paranoid antics when i walk past a mirror.

Im looking into getting a HT, and was wondering if anyone would be able to give me a rough estimation of how many hairs i would need grafted? FUE will definetely be the route i will go down when the time comes. Iv recently started using Minoxidil, Finasteride and Nizoral. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Sean

It looks like you need about 0 grafts. HT's are not "preventative" surgery...They are intended to give coverage to those who have lost 40-50% density in a given area....Leave well enough alone...You'll only be asking for trouble if you get a HT at such a young age and with NO hairloss whatsoever....Besides, I doubt any ethical surgeon would even consider you for surgery!

Just a thought from the peanut gallery...

Yeah i understand wheere you's are coming from, i realise there are guys who have it far far worse than me. Problem is i just cant stop obsessing about it, i mean some days it has reduced me to crying into a pillow lol. I used to have a LOT more hair and ever gradually it is dissapearing, i know i will never be happy without a full head of hair so iv decided its really the only option for me.

There is MPB history in my family so i know things are only going to get worse, i figure if i get the front 'fixed' now and go through a lifelong regime (or until the day i stop caring) of Finasteride and Minoxidil i should be able to maintain a nice head of hair for a while yet.

Am i being naive in thinking this? thanks again for the replys guys.

Sean

You might start using minoxidil, and then see what happens. I started using minox since my late 20's, and I think it somewhat stabilized the loss.

Remember, you have limited donor hair supply, and it's possible that things can go worse, especially since you have MPB in your family. What happens if you use some donor hair and fill in the temples, and find out 10 years later that you need more hair for your top, front, or crown?

If you're still obsessed, you can schedule an appointment (in person, or over the phone, or online) with an elite surgeon, and seek their opinion regarding your hair loss.

Good luck!

Iv recently started using Minoxidil, Finasteride and Nizoral. Any help would be appreciated.

Since you just "recently" started using meds, the best help you can find is experienced people telling you to be patient and wait "at least" a year to see how you react to those meds first, and see if you can be consistent with it, possibly for lifetime.

Any other suggestions, such as referring you to a HT surgeon or number of grafts needed etc etc, would be completely ridiculous before you go through that year.

Take this time as an opportunity to read and research and learn to cope with your minimal hair loss, then you will be more objective about the choices you really have.

You can go on, and get that hairline lowered before you go through that year... but the chances you end up miserable in a near future are as real as your minimal hair loss. I wish you can recognize warning signs when you see them...

Best of luck

I empathise with your situation Macca. When did your hair loss begin? There is little that can be done re the frontal recession, but by taking the meds and possibly regaine you should be able to stablise the top/back part of your head.

You really want to hold out as long as poss re the transplant. It's not easy but try new hairstyles and wherever possible focus your attention on other matters. Have others commented on your hair situation?

Although i agree that this chap has a good amount of hair (most of us chaps that are NW3+ would love to be in this position) we all know that it's not as simple to just "forget about it".

Macca, you will note that most of the forum are discouraging a hair op so stick with the proven/best solutions and take photo's maybe every 6 months (you want to get out of the mirror as much as possible icon_smile.gif)

There is MPB history in my family so i know things are only going to get worse

By the way Macca, the fact you are on finasteride / minoxidil might almost completely stop you hairloss since you are young and have minimal loss, or at least slow the process tremendously. You can't compare the older members of your family with your own situation, since they did'nt have access to meds in their youth. In that sense, we're very lucky, since it's the first time in history that people have access to hairloss treatments that actually work for a majority of people. So just relax and be consistent with it and enjoy the effect of meds for as long as you can... did'nt want to sound harsh in my previous comment, I know the effect hair loss can have psychologically speaking, particularly when you are young, but you got to give time to these meds to work. Hang in there bud, and don't do any stupid moves out of sudden despair. icon_cool.gificon_eek.gif

Originally posted by dakota3:

You could possibly make the worst decision of your life if you choose to lower the hairline at 22. Get on med's and rogaine and leave it at that.

Not nessesarily due to his age, but due to the fact that he is a NW 2.5 with no sign of anything but a SLIGHT recession.

Seriously, just stick to meds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

Not nessesarily due to his age, but due to the fact that he is a NW 2.5 with no sign of anything but a SLIGHT recession.

Seriously, just stick to meds

IMO he doesnt even look like a NW 2. Also I would say yes definatly because of his age he should not think about lowering the hairline. It has been shown that the younger you are when you start losing hair the more bald you CAN become.

Well, i'm not sure if we're on the same page.

If for instanse, your hairline is gone, and you're young, and it's not just frontal loss, then i think the hairline can be brought down to what it was(lowering).

Obviously i don't mean lowering down to what it was in your pre-teens.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

It seems as though you may have a receding hairline. This could be the start of MPB but I am not your doctor or have seen previous pictures of you.

You are only 22 so it may be a bit early to panic

If you are concerned see your doctor and get on meds if it is the case. It may stop everything and you may not needs or want any surgery.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Mike, I understand your point. The only point Im trying to make is that if at 22 you lower your hairline with say 1500 or so grafts what would you do IF in the future you become a full NW7? It seems to me that someone would look aweful foolish with a lower hairline but nothing or very little behind it. Or worst case scenario he receedes very far on the sides and back. I've actually seen 2 gentleman at my gym and 1 at a family BBQ that have had this done and I feel very bad for them because it is SOOO obvious they've had work done. IMO lowering your hairline should never be done until you've determined your future "say between 40-50 years old".