How to fix mis-angled hair

Bill,

Assuming the 1600 grafts weren't placed at the correct angle, the only way to correct this is to extract and re-transplant them. Transplanting hair around the existing hair won't prevent your current hair from sticking up. However, you could consider growing your hair a little longer and using styling products to see if you have better control over your hair.

Best wishes,

Bill

HughShaw,

Hair can be trained, but it's natural angle depends on how it's positioned in the scalp. Thus, the direction of transplanted hair growth depends on the angle at which the incision is made. For instance, your hair follicles may be naturally angled forward but the hair can be trained to be styled backwards. The direction the hair breaks through the skin doesn't change, but the hair will bend the direction you style it.

I hope this helps.

Bill

transplanting a lot around the bad angled hairs could overwhelm them, as log as there are more correct hairs than incorrect hairs.

I've had most of my bad angled hairs removed and am having new hairs transplanted around the bad angled hairs.

Bad angled hairs are a real dilemna. If you try to punch them all out in one go. you'll have mince meat on your head and no hair. If you do it bit by bit, and replant, then the replanted hairs could be damged by subsequent operations to remove the remainder. If you try to disguise them, same. I guess the best thing is to get as many removed as you can first shot and prey to God that they will survive the punch and regrow when inmplanted. If you have enough hair it's no big deal, just grow it long and let it curve back. The wierd angle will lift the hair and aid the illusion of volume. Once you got bald patches though, it gets harder

Welcome to my world.

Dr Jones planted the hairs vertically in my hairline/ temples. Obviously this wasn't how nature intended but he wasn't to know this as I think he had his eyes closed.

My natural hairs point forward and the bend down over my forehead after they reach a certain length as is typical.......My Jones HT hairs point straight up.

I had more put in over the years by different doctors to increase the density but this actually just added to the problem in hindsight.

Then recently Feller under my instruction placed hairs at acute angles and forward in amongst the vertical hairs, concentrating especially along the hairline. It's worked.

We've had to lower the hairline slightly to accommodate them but the fact that these new hairs are at a different angle they actually help create more density than if they we're all pointing the same direction. They cross each other creating a "lattice", therefore preventing light passing through and cutting out the see through look.

It may not work for you but for me my correctly angled Feller hairs along the hairline are styled forwards and down and then they blend slowly into the more vertical hairs behind. They form a slowly increasing angle from nearly flat (180 degrees) at the hairline, slowly increasing in angle upto the "bad" vertical hairs behind at 90 degrees.

Photos wouldn't show it any better than my description. It just looks normal now.

Jones was around 900 and then I had another 800 planted by other doctors before I went to see Feller.

Feller has planted something like 700 grafts now but to be honest I've lost count. 7 FUE surgeries to date.

It's best to discuss this with your doc as this plan of attack may not suit your situation.

Do you have a photo?.... while I'm no doctor I might be able to see if you're in a similar position.

Originally posted by Bill - Managing Publisher:

Bill,

Assuming the 1600 grafts weren't placed at the correct angle, the only way to correct this is to extract and re-transplant them.

Best wishes,

Bill

Actually, that's not quite true, in the sense that "the only way to correct the situation is to extract and re-transplant them". In actuality, transplanting in subsequent sessions with hair placed in the "right" orientation can go a long way in cosmetically correcting the appearance. Care needs to be taken in placing the subsequent grafts to avoid injuring the grafts from the first procedure; we have done a number of cases such as this one presented with very good results. So, while it is true once planted the angles are what they are, complete removal would not, in my opinion, be the only solution- IMHO that would actually make the situation worse- scarring, loss of some of the grafts with removal/replacement; technical issues regarding puting hair back into same areas where it was removed in that same session, etc etc etc.

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

Dr. Carman, with short hair cuts, I think the point is that the only way to get rid of them, is to get rid of them. The technical difficulties you point out are significant,

a) damage to surrounding hair

b) finding vacant areas for replanting within the bald area

c) scarring (mind you, frontal third scars are usually better)

d) damage to replanted or originally transplanted hair in subsequent operation to complete the repair

But there is also the disguise/density problem too. I spent too many precious grafts disguising the misplanted hair and that created a beautiful, but very dense wall I had no hope of filling behind with the same density.

I have had misangled hairs taken out and replanted, but I am extremely skeptical of their survival rate. Hence the dilemna of misangled hairs

Thank you, Dr. Tim as I missed your response. My hairs arent too bad, mostly 1's and 2's that just don't fall like the natural hairs. They point up but when I comb my hair back they look fine. I just need a plan for what to do when more native hair falls out.

Dr. Carman,

I wasn't necessarily recommending removal of these hairs were in his best interest. I was only arguing that the only way to change the angle of existing hairs is to extract and re-transplant them.

Personally, I agree that it may be better to transplant around them.

Thanks for posting,

Bill