Rogaine after procedure? Advise please

jr1

Hey everyone,

I have two questions:

1) It's been about 3 weeks since my procedure, and it went great, but I am noticing shock loss. Is this around the normal time this starts to happen? If so, when do my "normal" hairs start to grow back?

2) I was wondering how important it is to use rogaine on the transplanted sites for the first 3 months? Does it really speed things up? From some of the posts I've read it seems it could do more harm than good once I go off. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanx very much fellas

-J

Jeff Bowers

Hey everyone,

I have two questions:

1) It's been about 3 weeks since my procedure, and it went great, but I am noticing shock loss. Is this around the normal time this starts to happen? If so, when do my "normal" hairs start to grow back?

2) I was wondering how important it is to use rogaine on the transplanted sites for the first 3 months? Does it really speed things up? From some of the posts I've read it seems it could do more harm than good once I go off. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanx very much fellas

-J

Jeff Bowers

jr1,

using Rogaine for the first 3 months after HT is an on going debate. Some say yes, and some no.

Rogaine actually can be beniefitial in helping the growth and support of the new grafts. So why not use it for what it is meant for... Growing hair.

I personally feel that any drug endused into your sytem, via topical or oraly, can not have a hindering effect of just a few months. I cannot see how your system could even attempt to build an immunity in that amount of time.

Now onto the more important question!!

Yes, it could very well be shockloss at 3 weeks. 3 weeks is nothing to even attempt to try to scope your prospects by. Just hang back, and enjoy the roller coaster ride your on. Because it's a long one!!

most docs recommend to wait 3-4 weeks after HT, then use Rogain xtra strength to help the blood circulation in the new grafts-- do this for about 4 months. Continue on the crown area. You should take propecia prior to HT and continue indefinate afterwords. DO NOT USE ROGAIN BEFORE HT BECAUSE IT CAN CAUSE EXCESS BLEEDING DURING SURGERY.

I am approaching my 4 week Post Op and have noticed signficant hair loss in the HT area. My procedure consisted of 2 session back to back 3000 grafts, by Dr. Brad Limmer in San Antonio. I too have been using Proscar and Rogaine. Rogaine after about 2 weeks post op. I use mostly on the crown area.

My biggest concern are the HT that I have lost. I know it is expected but you still wonder if you had a bad HT. After the HT it looked like I had a full head of hair (small of course) but still looked very promising. I have to wait it out and hope for the best.

Hairbethere,

Yes, because Rogain is a vasodilator-expanding blood circluation-- then during HT there is more blood in the scalp (remember rogain was first developed as a blood pressure drug). So you do not want too much bleeding during surgery. However, a few weeks after--you want blood flow to speed the heeling process--this is why some/not all surgeons see a benefit to rogain in the healing process.

Yes, the Minoxidil use after HT seems to be kind of split down the middle. I was advised to stop using it before the procedure for the exact reason that Smoothy pointed out. As for after, I have used it since day 4 post op on the crown (where I did NOT have grafts placed) and on the hairline (recipient area). I am impressed with the rate of growth that I have had but seeing as how this is my first hair transplant, I cannot say whether it was due to the Minoxidil or not. I will keep using it there for a while, however.

Rogaine

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog