Concealing the Scar with short / buzzed hair

Just wondering if anyone has any pics with concealer on their scar when they have their hair cut short (#2 clip or lower.) One of my (and i'm sure others) concerns is hiding the scar long term. To me if I could conceal it well then I wouldn't care. I guess for me personall this is really a long term concern more then anything for me (what happens if you become an NW7 and your donar/options are gone etc). I guess what i'm asking/concerned about is even if I had to shave my entire head later on in life if the balding got worse and/or I didn't want to have any more procedures done can you do a good job of hiding the long strip scar on buzzed head?

Anyhow i'm curious on how many do/have done this and what the results have been. Thanks in advance.

ive done it.. its WAY to noticable on me with a #2 clip..... i can pull off a #4 clip ok but i gotta use hair wax to 'smush' down the hair above my scar to have it cover it....

ill try to put up some pics with and without concealer but my hair will not be buzzed that short as i dont feel it can be pulled of, unless you have a VERY good scar

but bottom line, given CURRENT technology if you have a strip scar and later on need to shave your head there is not a whole lot you can do.. your scar will be noticable

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

HTHELP, less than 3% of balding men ever reach a NW7. The bigest problem with scars, is not so much if there is hair growing through it, it is the colour. If the scar is white and not permanatly red or pink, (I think you know what I mean), then I beleive if you go to a NW7, and hair is white or grey the scar should be pretty undetectable. I have seen such a person, would have never known. And I notice everything lol!!!! Just a thought.

I like your thinking on this topic HTHELP. I totally agree that having a buzz is much better than some comb over look. So basically if your hairloss progressed beyond your donor supply you'de like the option to just buzz it.

I think there are just too many variables associated with this to get a really good answer.

1. Doc must do a great job with the closure.

2. Patient must have good scarring characteristics.

A. Patient is carefull during first 5-6 months as to not strech scar.

B. Patient skin scars well (color, stretching etc.)

C. Hair characteristics. Color, thickness, density etc.

So bottom line is that some will have better ability to cut their hair shorter than others without noticing the scar.

Take a look at Eman's 4 month photos. He's only 4 months and has a pretty damn short cut and from the pictures his donor scar really isn't too noticable and it's only going to get better. You probably won't have to much luck with people posting pics for this thread but if you just look through many of the ht results photos you'll see alot of different examples.

thanks for the responses guys. I understand that only a small pct, of us will ever reach NW7 but i'd rather plan for the worst and hope for the best. Even if that wasn't the case and you didn't become a NW7, maybe things just don't progress as well as you hope and then what? I would like to know what I could expect in regards to concealing the scar if it came to that.

Flyby, I agree with & understand the points you made. I would hope that even if the scar wasn't "pencil thin" that most of the docs recommended here would be able to produce a "good" scar and I was just curious what that "good" scar would like if someone buzzed it down and tried to conceal it. I guess not to many of you have tried that. Looking at EMAN's scar (since it was brought up) I would assume with some dermmatch (or similar product) it would be completly undetectable at the current length. I'll keep searching to see if I can find any examples of this, I would imagine that someone along the lines has tried it (maybe w/o much success though as I hoped/assumed since I haven't come across any).

HTHELP-

Like you, I had the same concerns going into having a HT. What flyby said is spot on. And, there is no guarantee even with positive outcomes or characteristics that you will be able to shave down. And most guys who have HTs don't want to have to shave down, they want to grow out their luscious locks!

I love being able to shave down to a 2-clip and that is my ultimate goal. If you look at my monthly pics in my weblog, I have shaved down to a 3-clip every month, except I shaved down to a 2-clip a week before my four month pics. The scar has improved and will continue to improve as you can see in the pics. If I were to use any concealer, it would be toppik as it is easier to apply and wash out and from what I have seen looks totally natural. A buddy showed me how he uses it and it takes a minute to apply and if you match the color it camouflages his balding amazingly.

With improvements in my scar I really believe that a 2-clip will be possible without concealer in the near future. Take a look at Hasson and Wong's website and they have a patient video that they shave down to a 1-clip...awesome!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Eman

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Originally posted by HTHELP:

Just wondering if anyone has any pics with concealer on their scar when they have their hair cut short (#2 clip or lower.) One of my (and i'm sure others) concerns is hiding the scar long term. To me if I could conceal it well then I wouldn't care. I guess for me personall this is really a long term concern more then anything for me (what happens if you become an NW7 and your donar/options are gone etc). I guess what i'm asking/concerned about is even if I had to shave my entire head later on in life if the balding got worse and/or I didn't want to have any more procedures done can you do a good job of hiding the long strip scar on buzzed head?

Anyhow i'm curious on how many do/have done this and what the results have been. Thanks in advance.

I went to a top-5 doctor and my scar is around the width of a matchstick. It doesnt sound that thick, but I have completely lost the ability to use clippers. The hair needs to be an inch or longer to hide the scar.

Dont go into HT thinking you will have a thin (concealable) scar. You NEED to be prepared to lose that ability, if not, HT is not right for you.

I belive that hair caliber is very important for how low you can clip. Fine hair + a wider scar (4-5mm), and there is not way to conseal it without growing the hair longer. Period.

FYI, my scar is not uncharacteristic of others ive seen. Better than some.

less than 3% of balding men ever reach a NW7.

many variables associated with this to get a really good answer.

1. Doc must do a great job with the closure.

2. Patient must have good scarring characteristics.

A. Patient is carefull during first 5-6 months as to not strech scar.

B. Patient skin scars well (color, stretching etc.)

C. Hair characteristics. Color, thickness, density etc.

Good stats and info kaounis and flyby.

You need to know also HTHELP, as discussed in other threads: that scars will widen with time, but DO fade. There is a difference.

take care...

If I were to use any concealer, it would be toppik as it is easier to apply and wash out and from what I have seen looks totally natural.

I agree that Toppik/nanogen are a lot easier and quicker to apply and wash out. However I found trying to conceal the scar post-op that dermmatch was better because it changes the colour of the scalp to match the hair so it is much harder to see the scar.

thanks for all the feedback guys. I would have assumed that dermmatch would have been the concealer that made the most sense on the scar since it would be easier (or at least I assume it would be) to apply to that area.

(I currently use toppik on my scalp) but I can see both working I guess.

I've heard of some people tattooing into the scar as well. Has anyone done/seen this? If so what have the results looked like?

wow, I didn't even think about the fading/turning of color of the tatoo great call on that. I did some google searches on "tatoo into hair transplant scar" (or something like that) and found some results/pics, and all things considered it wasn't that bad. I'm not sure if I can post the links here or not (is that okay Bill?) if so i'll get them and pass them along to anyone else who was wondering about this. It sounds like a combination of FUE into the scar, maybe some tatooting in between and then if need be a concealer and you can get a faily undetectable result (if all goes to plan of course). That makes me feel a little bit better I guess if the end result was having to go that route. Thanks again guys