how long can grafts stay out of the body before replanted

Hi all,

I was wondering, when a graft is FUE extracted. How long can it kept outside the body before it is placed in the recipient area.

I suppose the best is to place it back in directly, but most of the time this is not possible. The surgeon has to make the slits first.

But how many hours can they stay out.

Thanks,

DENONNN

Hi all,

I was wondering, when a graft is FUE extracted. How long can it kept outside the body before it is placed in the recipient area.

I suppose the best is to place it back in directly, but most of the time this is not possible. The surgeon has to make the slits first.

But how many hours can they stay out.

Thanks,

DENONNN

The goal for most hair restoration physicians is to have all grafts placed back into the recipient sites within 6 hours. Grafts are very resilient, but must remain well hydrated to survive. It has been proven that dehydration is the factor than can have the most negative effect on the grafts. This is why in large cases 2500 follicular unit or more it is necessary to have enough assistants to get the job done within the proper time limits. Since FUE is a slower process, not as many grafts should be retrieved from donor area before time would become a factor, and the grafts would need to be placed into the recipient sites.