Was told to quit Rogaine...

GTL

Hey guys. I recently went to the dr. and got a script for proscar as I was told to earlier. Thank god you guys let me onto that or propecia would have sucked my wallet dry. When I was talking to the doc, I was advised that due to the excessive dryness on my scalp from the alcohol in Rogaine I should discontinue use immediately. Man was it bad. My head itched, it was constantly dry, completely unbearable. I tried using head and shoulders as well as putting moisturizer on but it did NOTHING to help.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a alcohol free minoxidil? Any help would be greatly appreciate.

GTL,

When the minoxidil preparation would irritate my scalp, I would apply folligen 10-15 mins. after and that would soothe the itchiness. You can try it if you like.

I am not a doctor, and you should not take my suggestion as a professional medical opinion, but I wouldn't stop minoxidil, unless you have heart palpitations, etc. (indications that minoxidil is providing systemic side effects).

The scalp irritation is superficial and can be treated with something moisturizing/rehydrating.

BTW, I think finasteride in rare cases does dry the skin.

take care...

Thanks for the suggestion. I might give that a go, but this scalp irritation was far from superficial. I was getting deep cracks and blisters that would secrete a puss like substance from them. It was like I was sweating sticky stuff. It was really really bad. I'll see if I can take some pictures and post them up here so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

• 6 months later...
Originally posted by GTL:

Thanks for the suggestion. I might give that a go, but this scalp irritation was far from superficial. I was getting deep cracks and blisters that would secrete a puss like substance from them. It was like I was sweating sticky stuff. It was really really bad. I'll see if I can take some pictures and post them up here so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

GTL, did you find a suitable alternative to the rogaine foam? Please do provide some updates on your current status.

I ask cuz I've been suffering from drying of the scalp and flaking as well, and have been exploring suitable options (to hopefully permanently rid myself of the drying/flaking).

Originally posted by GTL:

I had a few spots on my head that had some kind of plasma coming out, but I realised it was the places were I had scratched raw, like a kid who can't leave his mosquito bites alone and scratched the tops off them.

I just force myself not to scratch or when I do, I do it with the pads of my fingers, and not the nails. It's still getting irritated, but the broken skin is easing up.

I'm thinking about switching to the foam, though. I hope I don't get anything too serious like cracks in my head.