Balloonman's 2 month Post Op 3400 FUE with DHI

Guest balloonman

Guest balloonman

Not much to tell guys, it's 2 months out. The hyperpigmentation (redness) in the recipient area still exists but, is not that apparent in the photos. The hairline was lowered over an inch on the sides, temple work was done and the center hairline was dropped about 1/4 of an inch.

The scar was transplanted but, has not yet experienced any growth from this last FUE procedure with Dr Zontos of DHI.

My donor is definitely thinner as a result of the 3400 FUE surgery. No longer is it super dense and thick, it is now of average density and has areas that are thinner and a little see through but, nothing anyone but myself would ever notice.

Almost all of the transplanted hair has shed, maybe 100 or so total hairs are still growing, see the temple and corners photos.

Other than the occasional pimple in the donor area, everything is on autopilot waiting for time to pass and the grafts to sprout.

Any questions just ask and here is a direct link to the 2 month post op photos, feel free to browse in the link and see my many other photos. Enjoy, BM

http://photobucket.com/albums/v259/Balloonman/2%20Month%20Post%20Op/

Guest balloonman

Not much to tell guys, it's 2 months out. The hyperpigmentation (redness) in the recipient area still exists but, is not that apparent in the photos. The hairline was lowered over an inch on the sides, temple work was done and the center hairline was dropped about 1/4 of an inch.

The scar was transplanted but, has not yet experienced any growth from this last FUE procedure with Dr Zontos of DHI.

My donor is definitely thinner as a result of the 3400 FUE surgery. No longer is it super dense and thick, it is now of average density and has areas that are thinner and a little see through but, nothing anyone but myself would ever notice.

Almost all of the transplanted hair has shed, maybe 100 or so total hairs are still growing, see the temple and corners photos.

Other than the occasional pimple in the donor area, everything is on autopilot waiting for time to pass and the grafts to sprout.

Any questions just ask and here is a direct link to the 2 month post op photos, feel free to browse in the link and see my many other photos. Enjoy, BM

http://photobucket.com/albums/v259/Balloonman/2%20Month%20Post%20Op/

Ballonman,

If you ever want to post one of those pictures in your actual post, simply "copy and paste" the "IMG" box contents and incorporate it into the dialogue "Post A Reply" box.

You are always welcome to utilize the forums "Photo Album" feature. This is located under the "New" tab. Select "Photo Album" and follow the prompts. Select the desired forum you would like to see the pictures under and upload them. It is that easy.

Other than that, the donor area is looking really great. Happy healing.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Ballonman,

I received 1350 fue grafts. I was told that the donor area has 30 to 40 k of grafts. You removed roughly 10% of that hair. How many more grafts do you think you can get? How noticable is the thinning. My hair is a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10. I think if my back and sides thinned it would blend in nicely.

Guest balloonman

Bald Casanova: In the link you can look at the many other photos I have. All you need to do is look around and see the different folders filled with photos of before, during, after, extraction sites, scarring, etc. Start with Balloonman in the upper left corner and from there you can see all the others.

EastCoast: If you have 40k grafts than you are a lucky guy. I have never seen someone with a donor area that dense but, maybe it's possible.

There has never been a single documented case of anyone getting a head only FUE and recieving more than 5000 grafts. You can get more if you include body hair or if you do a strip and FUE job but, head FUE only has never been done by any Dr.

It is possible to do more but, my donor was a 10 on a scale of 1-10 meaning I had an extremely dense donor area. It has been thinned out significantly, to the point where it looks normal to thin now but, I knew that going in and I had no other options. Again, only I notice it and no one else can or does but, at 3500 that should give you an idea of how many someone can safely extract.

Ballonman,

When I said 40k, I meant gross hair, not all available for transplanting. 40k would seem the average in a non-balding donor area. After all, the average head of hair has 110k grafts. Can I e-mail you privately? I may go to your Dr. I am wondering if a Dr. can do all 3 to 4 hair grafts creating high density. What is the gross amount of grafts you have? Are you considered finished?

Guest balloonman

I have over 8000 grafts perhaps even closer to 9000 now. Again, those numbers are always skewed because a graft can have 4 hairs in it, trimmed down to singles and be considered 4 grafts when in fact, it was only 1.

So when I give numbers they are fairly accurate and approximately each graft averaged 2.4 hairs.

In any case, sure you can email me privately, try skippyboy5@hotmail.com. I change them every few months or so but, that one is good right now.

I am never finished. I need to fill in all of my scars to my satisifaction. I need to add density to my mid scalp and I have yet to go after my crown.

I just address each problem as it arises and then move on to the next.

I suppose a Dr could extract only 3 and 4 hair grafts but, remember those same grafts are waht add the density to your donor so, by removing them you are also removing the most density too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have over 8000 grafts perhaps even closer to 9000 now.

Man, this is incredible! Your donor density must have been out of scale!

You said you're planning to have some more procedures. Do you think you have enough donor left for those? Besides, I personally don't think you need more procedures. I think the shaved look really looks good on you because hairloss is not immediately visible.

Well, looking GREAT so far! Good luck, mate! Keep us posted!

Guest balloonman

My donor was not out of scale, it was certainly better than average but, nothing extraordinary.

This is one of the arguments I make for strip over FUE. If you do FUE first and only FUE, you will NEVER be able to yield 8-9000 grafts. I wasn't even that bald and I went through that many. By doing 1 or 2 large strip sessions FIRST you can then go back into the donor areas and safely extract 2-3000 more. Had you done FUE first, you could not have yielded as many total grafts and taking a strip AFTER FUE is riskier because your donor density may not be thick enough to then cover the linear scar.

As far as having enough donor left, I think I am fine. Look in the pictures at the 2 month post ops and decide for yourself. I will ask for the Dr's opinion before doing anything further but, I will definitely be needing some crown work in the not too distant future, I am just waiting to see how the hairline FUE work develops.

Finally, while I agree with you that the shaved look looks good on me, I cannot wear it that short because of all of the linear strip scars I have. If the DHI FUE's grow in my scar tissue I will certainly be wearing my hair shorter in the future.

August 8th will be my next photo update. Thanks.

Hi Balloonman,

Thanks for keeping us updated as you promised. Couple of questions for ya!

Do you think the extraction holes might shrink which in effect would decrease the thinning look. Also, at what amount of grafts do you think strip has benefits over FUE & vice versa? Let's say you were low on the NW scale & maybe only needed 2000 grafts, would you go strip or FUE.

BTW I think your next update is due 8th September, not August.

PS. Keep giving those amateur poster boyz over at Hairsite a good whipping. I luv it when ya shoot 'em down. Most of 'em have never even had a transplant yet claim to be experts.

Thanks Balloonman,

I guess I'm just gonna have to be patient & see how yours & other DHI patients pan out with the smaller extraction tools.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you guys have great success!

Ballonman,

How can you have 9k grafts only on the front and mid-scalp? I thought 5-6k grafts would mathematically cover your scalp; giving you 1 fue about every millimeter which mimics nature. Did you have some bad yield or large grafts?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest balloonman

Yes,I am in the process of taking the photos today and posting them tonight.

I will start a new thread with a new link so people dont have to keep looking at teh same old ones over and over and can just focus on the current photos.

Thanks for asking.

I had approx 3400 grafts with Woods. I would rate my yield in the 90 percentile and my result excellent.

However I agree on average, strip gives better results. I wish it was not so as I feel FUE is less invasive.