Ingrown hairs on the scalp.

Bowlforthedog

Hello: I was just wondering if anyone has this problem too. Should I go see a doctor about it? I do use Loprox shampoo, Head&Shouldders and Nizoral. But I have been using both of these except for H&S for quite some time... I wonder if the H&S is causing this problem with in grown hairs? I have had a dandruff problem since a younger age, and really since I started loosing my hair 14 years ago. So that is the reason I have been using the two prescrption shampoos. I don't want to hurt the grafts. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Bowlforthedog,

Since you've used the word "grafts", I assume you recently had a hair transplant?

In grown hairs are common the first couple of months after a hair transplant. In fact, it's a sign of activity below the scalp. Typically a warm damp cloth will help soothe them and minimize their life. They shouldo also go away on their own in a couple days, most likely, as you acquire some new ones. If you are experiencing a lot of pain or they are overly red or irritated, be sure to speak with your surgeon.

Best wishes,

Bill

They shouldo also go away on their own in a couple days, most likely, as you acquire some new ones

Bill,

What exactly happens when a hair becomes ingrown? Is it that a transplanted graft begins to grow in the "wrong" direction?

And why does it go away on its own?

Thanks.

take care...

• 3 weeks later...

Mmhce,

Have you ever had an ingrown hair anywhere else on your body? All that happens is the skin becomes irritated and inflamed as the hair is trying to push through the skin. This may happen due to clogged pores on other parts of the body. As transplanted hair starts to grow under the scalp, it pushes through the skin. Sometimes the skin becomes aggravated and becomes imflamed (hence the red and painful bump). As the hair presses upward and you tend to the area, the skin softens and heals. The hair however, keeps growing and a few weeks later will pop through the scalp.

In other words, the hair will eventually pop through the scalp and the painful red bump will heal.

Best wishes,

Bill

The ingrown hairs or presence of pimple like lesions are called folliculitis. You can treat by applying very warm wash cloth to the red spots several times a day for few days. If they persist, you should call your ht physician to let them know. You may be prescribed an antibiotic to help clear it up.

• 3 weeks later...

charlie,

Are you using any non-surgical hair loss treatments like Propecia or Rogaine?

You may want to try using a warm damp cloth on your scalp. This will help soften your skin and allow the hair to pop through the scalp easier and lessen the inflammation. Since you haven't had a hair transplant, you may want to try an alcohol based product that may help as well. Tendskin did a pretty good job for me in the past.

If folliculitis persists or worsens, be sure to speak to your doctor.

Best wishes,

Bill

I did go see my dermatologist and she said I have folliculitis... She gave me some antobitics to take. Also the hair tranplants that I have had were done in the min 90's and I will hopefully go see Dr. Wong to get the my look updated in the near future.

charlie 6046

I have exactly what you have and its been a problem since I was 35 or so. I get lots of free sample lotions/potions and have tried everything. The ONLY thing that has worked for me is Neutrogena TGEL shampoo, available at most grocery stores. It has tar in it and smells kind of funny but the smell doesn't stick around after your shower is over. At least my kids say it doesn't and they are pretty blunt.

I know it works as whenever we go on vacation I don't take it(airline restrictions on liquid amounts) and I get folliculitis within a couple of days. It goes away about 3 days after restarting.

Now that may sound like there is some allergic factor, but on my last ski trip last month, I took a couple of little bottles of TGEL and I didn't have any problem, despite wearing a stinky old hat and ski helmet all day. And when I ski, I ski hard and am covered with sweat; so I am pretty sure the TGEL is the cure for me.

Try it.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...