On line consultations

I have recently filled out information for online consultations with coalition docs on the site and sent pics. Does anyone have experience with this and know how long it typically takes to get a response or correspondence back from the physician? Thanks

I have recently filled out information for online consultations with coalition docs on the site and sent pics. Does anyone have experience with this and know how long it typically takes to get a response or correspondence back from the physician? Thanks

mmce,

Thanks for the response. Was hoping to get response back from the online consultations. I have been doing alot of research on the physicians associated with this site and am trying to narrow it down to a few to get consultations from. I myself am a surgeon also although not related to this field.

Any recommendations on specific surgeons?

You have two basic choices.

Member Surgeon of Coalition of Hair Transplant Surgeons.

OR

Non-member.

The vast majority of posters would recommend you to a Coalition surgeon, because they have been pre-screened and submit their work and so on.

I have gone with a non-Coalition member.

All Coalition member surgeons are good.

Non-Coaltion may be good also, but their work has not been submitted for review here.

take care...

Give the doctors about a week to reply (note, some will not; they just don't do on-line consultations). Understand that these responses are not tantamount to an in-person consultation, and that, if you are seriously considering this, there's no alternative to meeting with a doctor face-to-face.

r4hair,

All clinics recommended by this community know to check their email for virtual consults. However, how often they're doing this and their turn around time ultimately depends on how each clinic runs things and how busy they are.

In my opinion, if you haven't heard back from a clinic a couple days after doing a virtual consult, call the clinic and ask them if they received the consult.

Best wishes,

Bill

First, online is never as good as in person...the exam is better, the communication is better etc.

Second, my antivirus software deletes I would guess around 20% of online consults, and if they are quarantined, I figure there is a reason and I don't respond for fear of computer viruses etc.

Third, I try to respond to all that I get within a day with a "guestimate" and recommendation to come in or give me a number to call so that we can talk. But I think many of you experienced bloggers would be surprised at the 70% of online consultation requests who give no family history, no age, and most importantly--no picture; and yet want a price quote.

So while online consultations sound great, in reality I think they are a useful tool for prospective patients to BEGIN a communication with the doctor and are best supplemented by an in person visit. For those travelling from a distance, they really do help get the process started and can be backed up by further phone and email correspondance prior to scheduling a procedure.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I had about 5 on line consults, all surgeons replied, except for Dr. Feller...Anyways, the only doc that answered personally was Dr. Konior..all other replies were by patient co-ordinaters...By the way Dr. Konior was the surgeon I chose..Had my surgery yesterday 21st April...Excellent...From start to finish...Check him out.

Just a thought from the peanut gallery...

CuriousJungle,

Our online virtual consultation feature allows prospective patients to do an online consultation with all of our recommended doctors. See our free virtual consultation feature.

Our doctors will then receive an email with all the information filled in by the prospective patient.

Ultimately, it's up to the clinics then to contact prospective patients who contact them.

An online consultation is never to replace an in-person consultation. But at the very least, the initial consult gets the ball rolling and facilitates dialogue between the doctor and patient.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't there a way you can consult without necessarily been there physically. Take a scenario where a patient live on the east coast(Washington D.C.) and want to consult with a coalition Doc. in LA, Miami, H&W, Minneapolis, Seattle; before he makes a decision which Doctor to choose as his preferred transplant Doctor. l think even before he starts the procedure, he is already broke. The cost of days off from work, air tickets, meals, hotel rooms can add up quickly.

of course it's difficult for a patient to consult with docs in different states/countries in person so online/phone consults are a great option. my advice is to do tons of research, pic five top docs, and then do consults with them. then, ask them for a list of patients who live in your state that you can meet up with. (i think this factor is even more important in choosing a surgeon than actually meeting with the surgeon.) then, narrow it down to 1-2 surgeons, and if possible go consult with them in person.

regarding dr. feller's consults, i have heard before that he does not get back to certain people for consults. as he has explained it's usually do to spam filters. i will say that since my surgery with him 18 months ago he answers all of my emails the same day.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com