Need some encouraging words! -- And i have it done!!

Hi Everyone:

Atlast i will be getting my HT this week. I have been on this site for more than 2 years and learned so much about the HT process and the expectations. I am going to have my HT done with Dr.Cooley in NC. I am happy with my choice based on all the positive vibe i have gotten on him and after meeting him. I am just nervous since it is my first surgery of any kind. I know i am going to be in safe hands. But still, a little nervous. Anything you can say to assure me is greatly appreciated! I will be creating my web log soon. Thanks in advance to everyone. You all are one super people!

Thanks

Hi Everyone:

Atlast i will be getting my HT this week. I have been on this site for more than 2 years and learned so much about the HT process and the expectations. I am going to have my HT done with Dr.Cooley in NC. I am happy with my choice based on all the positive vibe i have gotten on him and after meeting him. I am just nervous since it is my first surgery of any kind. I know i am going to be in safe hands. But still, a little nervous. Anything you can say to assure me is greatly appreciated! I will be creating my web log soon. Thanks in advance to everyone. You all are one super people!

Thanks

You pickrd a great surgeon! Trust me he knows what he is doing. I almost had surgery with him, but ran into some personal problems....Besides, it's not a "heart" transplant...LOL...Good luck... and happy growing...

Just a thought from the peanut gallery....

hairseekerusa,

What day are you getting your hair transplant? It looks like we're going to be in this together, since I'm going for my 4th hair transplant next Wednesday April 1st.

Having been through this before, I understand all the excitement and anxiety you feel getting ready to embark on this journey. But you've chosen an excellent surgeon and will be in the best of hands.

But the hair restoration journey only begins on the doctors office. Share your jouney, questions, concerns, and excitement with us, and we'll do our best to help and support you through it. Additionally, keep talking to your doctor and let him guide you through your journey as well.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks everyone for responding so fast! I know i have a very good surgeon and he is the best out there.

After talking to his patients and the wonderful people who have been very forthcoming on this forum, it has definitely eased in my chosing Dr.Cooley. More than a great surgeon, he is a great human being and that is what i like in any person.

Bill, i will be in the hot seat this Wednesday. Wow, and you will be sitting in the same seat a week from my D day.

I am excited with my decision and a little nervous, since this is my first time.

'Please Grow Please', i loved that video. I am sure it will be a 'SUPER' day.

Kaounis: Thank goodness! its not a heart transplant.

Thanks to everyone on this forum. My journey has just begun and i will be keep you all posted on my journey to the hair i am seeking!

hsusa

BEFORE HT

1. Get a massage the night before. It's good for the mind & the back the will be sitting for hours & hours. You must remain very still for a very long period. This is my #1 tip.

2. Get a travel pillow for flight & sleeping; it's a must even if you don't travel. It will keep your head elevated from pillow while grafts are at a unsettled stage. Do a search on Google. Many airports sell them but try to get in advance.

3. Buy whatever you need before going for ht. You will not want to shop with a swollen face. The clerks may throw the milk & eggs at your 'bigface' in fear.

4. Take a sleeping pill the night before to get a good night's sleep. Your mind will not let you sleep & will be filled with many thoughts & anxieties.

5. If you can have a friend or loved one with you. It's an exhausting day & you will be better off with some to watch over you or run errands.

6. Bring a loose hat or bandana or 2 with you as spares. They could get bloody. Make sure they are new or washed you do not want to get infected.

7. See the doctor the day before surgery if possible to go over what will be done. It gives you time to think about suggestions & may save you from a hasty decision.

8. Have doctor's office wash your hair every day you are still in town. They do it best & will also see any problems that can be nipped in the bud.

9. Think of how you will be hiding ht or telling everyone about it. Have a plan for both ways as you may change your mind after procedure. I did.

10. Trim your nails before ht &/or wear socks over your hands to keep from scratching at night. i did this for about a week after surgery.

11. Make sure you get Lidocaine or something to numb for staple removal day before you leave doctors office. The only thing I could buy over the counter was very ineffective for pain.

12. Buy a soft toothbrush to keep area around staples clean. Gently get rid of any blood buildup, which will help with staple removal.

13. Do scalp exercises if you are sure you are getting HT. Start as early as possible even months in advance. Every minute you do them might mean more grafts & less tightness after surgery.

14. Keep a hat or bandana on doorknob. Nothing more embarrassing then answering the door naked headed & getting weird look from the UPS guy.

15. Get a buzzcut and/or start wearing a hat weeks before surgery. You will get all those stares & questions answered while not acting so nervous. After HT someone may pick up your body language real easy & know something is up

More tips to come as I think of them.

A godsend for hair transplants are these.

Go to Sports Authority or wherever and buy the biggest one you can find.

Your head conforms to it perfectly alleviating alot of pressure.

You can cool it and it really helps with swelling and discomfort .

Trust me youll be glad you bought one

http://www.keepyourcooler.com/gel-ice-packs.html

Originally posted by Bill - Associate Publisher:

hairseekerusa,

What day are you getting your hair transplant? It looks like we're going to be in this together, since I'm going for my 4th hair transplant next Wednesday April 1st.

Having been through this before, I understand all the excitement and anxiety you feel getting ready to embark on this journey. But you've chosen an excellent surgeon and will be in the best of hands.

But the hair restoration journey only begins on the doctors office. Share your jouney, questions, concerns, and excitement with us, and we'll do our best to help and support you through it. Additionally, keep talking to your doctor and let him guide you through your journey as well.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill,

Wow - this is huge news! Was this mentioned elsewhere? If not, I know how well you document your pre/during/post HT procedures, so I truly look forward to another all-out Bill update! All the best!

Hairseeker,

I know how nervous you can get prior to an operation. But you can relax knowing you've done your homework and you're in good hands. Just be sure to get some rest in advance so you can feel alert when you meet with Dr. Cooley, plan your procedure so you are both 100% confident and comfortable and then follow the post-operative advice thoroughly. All the best for a great procedure and strong growth!

M&M

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Try to do your best and relax, you are in good hands - it is an interesting ride, with a great ending! Best wishes.

Originally posted by hairseekerusa:

Hi Everyone:

Thanks

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

hairseekerusa:

Congratulation and good luck. While i have not gotten my final result yet, i am very pleased with my experience so far with Dr. Cooley.

I am sure you already did lots of research and are now well prepared. It is now time to relax, knowing you did everything you could before HT. HT is really not that serious, nor it is a major surgery. If it can calms you, try to think of it like a visit to a dentist for a tooth extraction or root canal, although it will cost you a whole lot of money icon_smile.gif

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

hairseekerusa,

You are in great hands,your surgeon is truly top notch and we all look forward to you becoming yet another "Cooleyfied"member.

Do a weblog and keep us all updated with your progress.

Mick

Patient coordinator for Dr. Bessam Farjo who is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words and advices.

I returned home today after being 'coolified'. It was an amazing experience. I was bit anxious the night before and probably did not sleep as much as i wanted to, since i had to be up at 5:30 and be at Dr.Cooley's office at 7 am.

I arrived little before 7 am and did my payment and the paperwork. Stephanie came up with a list of movies and the menus from different restaurants for lunch. By this time, i was feeling much better. Then she gave me valium and some other medicine.

Honestly, i do not remember anything after that for next hours or so. So,i dont know when the strip was taken out and stitches were put in. The thing i was nervous about, did see or experience it.Yay!

After that, Dr.Cooley started making incisions for next hour or so i think. Then, i was served a nice lunch. By this time, i was already being pampered. It was great experience talking to everyone in the room and watching some of the fun movies.

Brandi and Dr.Cooley started planting grafts soon after lunch. It takes a lot of detail and patience and both worked really hard on it at them same time we three were involved in chit chatting too. It was all good fun. Amy also joined for sometime to plant grafts.

Dr. Cooley and Brandi worked tirelessly til 7:30. All through this i was texting my wife about the developments. Dr. Cooley was nice enough to offer me the ride to the hotel, but since my wife also was with me. So, she came and picked me up right after the surgery.

Special mention and thanks to Brandi, she is God send. She surely took very good care of me and was very meticulous in her work of planting grafts.

I returned to the hotel room and had some light dinner. Took valium and pain medicine and all the while i had/have been spraying the spray every hour. Valium is awesome medicine. My wife tells me that i woke up and she sprayed the spray and i tied the surgical cap and went back to sleep. Believe me, i dont recall any of that.

I have been taking tylenol every four hours.And it has been helping me. Will take valium and pain medicine again tonite. Dr.Cooley sugested about washing my head tonite, i will probably be doing it tomorrow in the morning.

So, to all my mentors here. How soon should i wash my head?

Thanks again for the words of encouragement. I cant believe how simple the procedure is. Now,the fun begins...Grow Baby Grow!!

I will start making my weblog sometime this weekend after finishing taxes.

One more thing that i noticed in Dr. Cooley's office is that, each and every person who works there, loves their work with passion and is extra nice to everyone in a genuine way.