Cutis Verticis Gyrata and Hair Transplants

This is for any and all doctors on this site.

1) I have a scalp condition known as "cutis verticis gyrata" which as I understand it is a connective tissue disorder that results in the hardening of the tissue under the scalp which causes it to then furrow. It is quite unsightly when my hair is cut short and looks like my brain is pushing through my skull.

2) I am also losing my hair in the Norwood pattern... I'd say about a 3 right now. I have excellent coverage but the hair on the top of my head is noticeably finer than that on the back and sides, which was notoriously thick and impossible to comb when I was a boy (and still is). I wouldn't mind going completely shaved, indeed that was my intention when I cut my hair for the first time in 5 years. Needless to say, because of the "cutis verticis gyrata", a shaved head is not an option. Believe me, it was quite a shock to discover this condition. Especially for my barber ;-)

3) I am 30 years old and of African descent.

4) I am growing my hair out again to cover the "cutis vertices gyrate" condition but I know this is only temporary because in 5 years I will have lost a lot more hair and then the condition will be impossible to conceal.

5) My research shows that "cutis verticis gyrata" can be surgically repaired by, I believe, a scalp reduction. The problem is that this procedure would leave a scar on the top of my head -- right where I am losing hair and will lose more hair.

BOTTOM LINE: I will HAVE to have a hair transplant at some point in the near future either to conceal the "cutis verticis gyrata" or to conceal the scar I will get from repairing the "cutis verticis gyrata".

What are my options?

A) Can I have the scalp reduction and a hair transplant at the same time or would that be too traumatic?

B) Should I have the scalp reduction to treat the "cutis verticis gyrata" and then after a few months(?) have the hair transplant?

C) Or should I have the hair transplant first and then have the reduction to treat the "cutis verticis gyrata"?

D) Or can a transplant, without more, treat the "cutis verticis gyrata" and fend off the hair-loss in one fell swoop? I am sure that I have phenomenal scalp laxity thanks, ironically, to the "cutis verticis gyrata", and I have dense thick hair on the back and sides of my head.

I realize it might be hard to say anything without seeing my head but any information you could give would help me make a decision and plot out my plan of action.

Thanks!

This is for any and all doctors on this site.

1) I have a scalp condition known as "cutis verticis gyrata" which as I understand it is a connective tissue disorder that results in the hardening of the tissue under the scalp which causes it to then furrow. It is quite unsightly when my hair is cut short and looks like my brain is pushing through my skull.

2) I am also losing my hair in the Norwood pattern... I'd say about a 3 right now. I have excellent coverage but the hair on the top of my head is noticeably finer than that on the back and sides, which was notoriously thick and impossible to comb when I was a boy (and still is). I wouldn't mind going completely shaved, indeed that was my intention when I cut my hair for the first time in 5 years. Needless to say, because of the "cutis verticis gyrata", a shaved head is not an option. Believe me, it was quite a shock to discover this condition. Especially for my barber ;-)

3) I am 30 years old and of African descent.

4) I am growing my hair out again to cover the "cutis vertices gyrate" condition but I know this is only temporary because in 5 years I will have lost a lot more hair and then the condition will be impossible to conceal.

5) My research shows that "cutis verticis gyrata" can be surgically repaired by, I believe, a scalp reduction. The problem is that this procedure would leave a scar on the top of my head -- right where I am losing hair and will lose more hair.

BOTTOM LINE: I will HAVE to have a hair transplant at some point in the near future either to conceal the "cutis verticis gyrata" or to conceal the scar I will get from repairing the "cutis verticis gyrata".

What are my options?

A) Can I have the scalp reduction and a hair transplant at the same time or would that be too traumatic?

B) Should I have the scalp reduction to treat the "cutis verticis gyrata" and then after a few months(?) have the hair transplant?

C) Or should I have the hair transplant first and then have the reduction to treat the "cutis verticis gyrata"?

D) Or can a transplant, without more, treat the "cutis verticis gyrata" and fend off the hair-loss in one fell swoop? I am sure that I have phenomenal scalp laxity thanks, ironically, to the "cutis verticis gyrata", and I have dense thick hair on the back and sides of my head.

I realize it might be hard to say anything without seeing my head but any information you could give would help me make a decision and plot out my plan of action.

Thanks!

I had four scalp reductions in the early nineties. I regret having done it. I was over-promised, downside was not addressed, etc. It was before good information was available on the internet. It left a very unnatural balding pattern that draws attention to my hair (in a negative way). I am scheduled for repair in August. Your scalp condition may cause some aesthetic difficuties, but please proceed with caution. It is possible to make a bad situation worse. Get multiple consults from recommended HT physicians before proceeding.

tom

Zuleron

Does not sound like a nice condition you have there. I would take your issue directly to the docs, it is very deep to try and address in the forum, although the outcome would be nice to know.

Call them directly for consults, if you understand that a scalp reduction will help I would go directly to the source of this information for more details, if it is a sales pitch run, if it from a doc with documented medical proof??

Good Luck

• 11 months later...

Dear Zuleon,

I feel you. I am 26, AA, male, who has CVG. I have gone to 2 dermatologists and a plastic surgeon with no luck. I emailed the dr. who posted cvg pictures on dermatologico atlas brazil and he even said there is no effective Rx. This condition is extremely unattractive in my opinion, and psychologically damaging to your self-esteem. I just want to rip out each of the 10 lines on my head. How many do you have? I would like to start a list serve or chat room for CVG sufferers. What have you done in the meantime? Mine started when I was like 18 and just progressed as my hair thinned. I even feel funny going to the barber. I too want to shave my head bald and just forget about the thinning, but the lines make that inpractical. We need someone to help us. Have you had hair restoration?

CVG sufferer

• 2 years later...

Hi, I just found out this web site researching cutis. I am 28 and found out that I also have this condition about 3 yrs ago. Its interesting to know there is more peopl out there. I wanted to ask you if surgery is done what are the chances of it returning again?

And if nothing is done about it would it continue to grow and come over my forhead?

zuleron, Cutis, and sotalol,

Welcome to our community!

zuleron,

I'm sorry to hear of your condition. This condition is brand new to me to be honest. I agree with Telephone Man. This is a complex issue and without knowing more about the condition it will be difficult for any hair transplant patients or hair loss sufferers to advise you. This is certainly a question for the doctors!

But consulting with a first-rate hair transplant surgeon will help ensure you get the best quality information/work possible.

Each of these coalition physicians must meet and maintain our high level of standards.

That being said, scalp reduction is seldom performed anymore, at least not by any top hair restoration physicians. Consult and consider your options wisely!

Good luck!

Bill

Bill,

You may reach sotalol, but the other two posters were from 2005. Have you been sniffing too much minoxidil or something?? icon_smile.gif

Seriously, it sounds like an awful condition if some would even consider scalp reduction icon_eek.gif

sotalol,

I hope you get the info you need and your condition improves my friend. Scalp reduction is barbaric and leaves terrible scars, proceed with caution. Modern docs will steer you correctly, but get several consultations first.

NoBuzz

• Moderators

While a scalp reduction is a really bad idea on a bald scalp for hair restoration, it can be the right choice for other conditions. For example if you had a tumor or lesion and had surgery to remove it (basically a scalp reduction) that would be the right thing to do. Yes you would end up with a scar, but you eliminated the condition that was worse than having a scar. Also the scar can later be covered with some grafts to cover it.

Here's another example. A strip surgery in your donor area to remove grafts is a scalp reduction done in an area where it won't be very visible because the hair around it will cover the scar. It's acceptable in many cases to do it because you're getting a benefit of more hair in your balding area.

So yes I think a scalp reduction can be the correct choice depending on your overall condition.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Sounds like a job for a coalition doc. i'm sure there is a viable treament for it .

Do some research and call some docs

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 4 months later...

Hi all.

I suffer from this same condition. It really is the bane of my life. I'm a good looking chap IMHO, and all of a sudden I started losing my hair - and when I went to shave it, I discovered I have around 8 furrows on the top of my scalp.

I firmly believe the thickening of the scalp that causes this disease in the first place, is the reason that we are all losing our hair. I haven't any history of MPB in my family, and my brother has the fullest head of hair - and after some research and my own experience, I can say without a doubt, that the thickening of the scalp does not help our hair follicles grow hair and in fact impedes the process - thus the hair loss.

It's almost a lose lose situation, because if you have the condition, you don't really worry about it unless you start to lose you hair, but with this condition, the inevitability that you lose your hair in the first place is quite high.

Information on the internet is sporadic and many papers that surgeons and dermatologists have published are on sites that require passwords which makes research all the more difficult.

We're so unlucky in the fact that this condition is so rare, that the medical community do not have any idea what causes it, or how to cure it without direct surgical excision.

I think that there is a higher incidence of Cutis Verticis Gyrata across the world than whitepapers on the internet would have you believe.

I really see surgery as the only way forward now :/

To assist in making information on this condition more widely available, I've created a page on wikipedia and populated it with information.

I also notice there is a website:

www.cutisverticisgyrata.com that someone has set up.

If anyone does get or has already got treatment for this condition, and you are reading this, please post with your experience - it would be of great benefit to us all.

This has made my life a nightmare - I wish I could just shave my head and not look like a freak icon_frown.gif

Someone HELP...

Ps. Some studies say that this condition is associated with other diseases and/or mental retardation (which is quite scary!), but I can tell you, I've got a 2:1 degree, and I think my IQ is pretty decent - furthermore, I am fit and healthy.

• 3 weeks later...

I am 24, white male, and i have CVG and no it doesnt stand for c vagina go, but it might as well. By reading a few posts its interesting to see that alot of us discovered we had cvg the same way. Our hair started thinning so we shave it like most guys do when once they have accepted that they are going bald- only to discover that we have even worse luck than we thought. We find out that not only are we losing our freakin hair, but it looks like our brain is on the outside of our scalp. I am so ashamed of the way i look and everyday i pick a hat to wear out of my hat collection and its pathetic. Sometimes there seems like only one solution out, but i hold out and hope that someday someone will be able to cure what drives my insecurity. I understand that noone is perfect and that people should be happy with who they are and what they have, and that there are way worse things in life happening to others and that i should be thankful, but I have a hard time convincing myself this. I am not looking for any responses to this it just feels good to vent i guess. like others from what i have read, i as well havent told or showed anyone my CVG, including my my mom or dad and i dont know why. Its depressingly funny that my dad almost has as much hair as i do and hes 50 years old. He has a great head of hair for his age, and i assume i would have the same if i didnt have these damn wrinkles on the top center of my head which are making my hair thin.

Ian Louis,

Thank you for posting. To get the maximum benefit out of this forum, I recommend starting your own thread by going to "New" and then clicking on "discussion".

I admit that I do not know much about Cutis Verticis Gyrata, but have you consulted with a qualified hair transplant surgeon to see how they might be able to help you? I'd recommend also trying hair loss medication such as Propecia and Rogaine to help maintain the natural hair you have and maybe even regrow hair.

This is easier said than believed, but there is nothing to be ashamed of in having CVG or in losing your hair. You are amongst friends here and we can certainly understand what you are going through, at least with the hair loss. Look into your options, seek hair restoration solutions, but in my opinion, it would be best to tell your parents and a physician about your condition so they can best help you.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you understand the problem Bill - and I don't believe that a hair transplant can help us because the problem here is the scalp which is causing us to lose our hair in the first place - but nonetheless, I'm grateful for this thread, because I've never seen so many sufferers participate on a single forum.

I'll visit my doctor and see a dermatologist and post back here with an update one day soon.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all who posted. I am in the process of researching this very issue to provide a more detailed precise evaluation. I would appreciate if those with the problems of CVG email me your photos privately to hairdocMD@aol.com and any other additional information that you have not shared on this site.

Thank you

• 2 years later...

I have this condition too, with about 5 furrows/grooves on the crown of my head that REALLY psychologically bother me. I have been "dealing with it" for years, but I'm at the stage where I need to do something about it because of my hair thinning. I don't have the time to keep being self-conscious about it! If anyone has any success stories about how they removed their furrows, we would love to hear it.

Thank You!

• 1 month later...

I just created a post on this. I have had CVG for many years. I believe it is attributed to some hormonal imbalance. Many of the people I have met with it have used Anabloc Steroids in the past including myself. I do not believe anabolic steroid are a direct effect on CVG but again some type of hormonal imbalance. I am currently thinning on top and I have consulted with a HT doc on this site and was not taken very seriously. I would like feedback from a HT Doc on their thoughts and possibly a plan off attack. Currently our only options for CVG at the moment are scalp reduction. Please read my post below

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/160829-cutis-verticis-gyrata-need-hair-transplant-doc.html

• 8 months later...
I was also diagnosed by CVG.

Guys I want to know one thing - What are the future complications of CVG except Hair Loss? Any brain related complications? How to stop their growth?

No way to stop it but I have not had any change since I was 18 or so. I feel that if you do not have a MPB gene you will not lose the hair, and if you do, you might lose it just a little sooner. If you are suffering from hairloss it may be worth it to follow mpbsucks(I think there are a few numbers after that part) thread. He recently went thru and FUE proceedure and has CVG, so I am very interested to see his results.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.