Maximizing Grafts

Does anyone know if it is possible to get more grafts by combining FUT and FUE? If so, assuming average everything, how many more? Is it possible for a NW 6 or 7 to have close to a full head of hair with such a combination?

Does anyone know if it is possible to get more grafts by combining FUT and FUE? If so, assuming average everything, how many more? Is it possible for a NW 6 or 7 to have close to a full head of hair with such a combination?

Not sure about combining FUT with FUE. I'm going to assume this is for you? You should definitely consult with some top Docs to determine your donor density and scalp laxity. I think that Is the best way to determine how many grafts you can extract over time.

Maybe even send some photos to some docs that do both FUE and FUT (Dr Feller maybe). Although they will not really be able to determine a lot with pictures they will give you some idea on your hair characteristics etc. I sent my photos to quite a few docs before I had my HT and got a lot of good advice. Just my opinion...

Is it possible for a NW 6 or 7 to have close to a full head of hair with such a combination?

TC17,

Firstly I believe that a combination of FUT and FUE are attempted, though I cannot recall exactly the circumstances. In such cases FUE is more used, for camouflaging the scar after FUT. The more learned posters will correct me.

Secondly, you will NEVER get back a full head of hair. You will have to settle for the "Illusion Of Density" which occurs at 45 FU/cm2.

take care...

I haven't had FUE, but I have had FUT. I didn't want to do my 3rd procedure as an FUT, I wanted to do an FUE. But after talking with Dr. Gabel it made sense not to do FUE for a couple of reasons. One, FUE doesn't yield as many graphs at once so I would have needed a couple of FUE procedures. Second, not only would I have the strip scar, but I'd have hundreds of little scars (two kinds of scars didn't interest me). Third, FUE typically costs more and four, this was the last transplant I need. In a year or so I plan to go back to Dr. Gabel and have a scar revision. Reduce the scar and then I just have one scar to contend with. In the end that was the better decision for me. Give the Doc a call. He performs both FUE and FUT and he is a laid back guy??¦he will tell ya what's up!

I might consider FUE as my last procedure (after another strip HT or two), hopefully decades from now. The reason is because my donor and sides are very thick and i always have to ask the barber to use shingle to thin it out. By having FUE, this will thin out donor and sides in order to better match with the lower density at the hairline and the top and crown.

So yes, i do believe that i can maximize the # of grafts with a combination of FUT and FUE as the last procedure.

More thought from more experience members/doctors would be appreciated.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley