5404 grafts with Dr Hasson on 31/3/2009

Guest comb

Hello, I am now a week from my surgery and things are going great so far. I was lucky to have a large number of grafts harvested, a necessity given the extent of hair loss.

I was in the clinic from 7:30 am till midnight and apart from the expected tiredness, the whole experience was great, with Dr Hasson and the girls taking good care of me. I also met Bill, as he was having his surgery the day after.

I am very optimistic about the results, but its very early, I will try to update as much as possible.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello, I am now a week from my surgery and things are going great so far. I was lucky to have a large number of grafts harvested, a necessity given the extent of hair loss.

I was in the clinic from 7:30 am till midnight and apart from the expected tiredness, the whole experience was great, with Dr Hasson and the girls taking good care of me. I also met Bill, as he was having his surgery the day after.

I am very optimistic about the results, but its very early, I will try to update as much as possible.

Wow - what a marathon session! Well done on 5,404 grafts, you must have had really good scalp laxity.

Your blog pictures look really good with a nice new hairline. I hope you heal well and I look forward to following your progress.

17 Feb 09 - 3,200 FUs by strip surgery (Dr Feller)

My Hair Loss Website

Originally posted by comb:

Wow!

That's exactly what I am looking for!

I am going to go with Dr Wong so hopefully he has the same success with my donor as you did.

I love the filling in of your recession and temple grafts!!!!!

Wow!

Dr_Hasson_grafts.jpg.c31c79865055696dd38ced24ad2af353.jpg

-

1st Transplant: 5,485 grafts with Dr Jerry Wong

2nd Transplant: 3,100 grafts with Dr Jerry Wong

3rd Transplant: 5,035 grafts with Dr Sanusi Umar

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Wong

comb,

It was a pleasure meeting you on the day of your surgery and the day following when it was my turn to sit in the chair.

I got to see a portion of the harvested strip and saw that at the widest point, it was close to 3cm, a heck of a nice wide strip. By the time I saw your donor it was stapled and the wound was closed and concealed beautifully by your donor hair.

The transplanted hair is beautifully densely packed and I expect that this large session will give you a tremendous result.

I hope you'll post monthly updates so we can follow your progress :-).

Drew35,

Though not everyone can achieve such a large session, Dr. Wong has a track record of being able to harvest very wide strips when appropriate for the patient and create minimal scars. You'll be in great hands!

Best wishes,

Bill

Originally posted by Bill - Associate Publisher:

Drew35,

Though not everyone can achieve such a large session, Dr. Wong has a track record of being able to harvest very wide strips when appropriate for the patient and create minimal scars. You'll be in great hands!

Best wishes,

Bill

I'm doing my scalp exercises so I am hopeful. icon_smile.gif

-

1st Transplant: 5,485 grafts with Dr Jerry Wong

2nd Transplant: 3,100 grafts with Dr Jerry Wong

3rd Transplant: 5,035 grafts with Dr Sanusi Umar

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Wong

Thank you all for the kind words.

Bill, it was a pleasure to meet you too, I am sure your result will turn out great. After all you have had almost 10,000 grafts. I am planning to update regularly with pictures.

Drew35, so you have decided on Dr Wong? I wish you all the best. I think its a good plan to go for as much as possible for the first time. You may be able to fulfill your goals with only one surgery. My temples took a lot of grafts but Dr Hasson and I both agreed that they were necessary for a balanced result.

Acrobaz your pics look great and for your hairloss the amount of grafts should provide you with an excellent result. I considered Dr Feller as well, actually saw him in person in London a couple of years ago.

I have added more pictures in my blog pre, post and 7 days after.

Comb,

Great to see you on here and thank you for sharing your story so far.

I was in early on the morning (unusualicon_smile.gif)that Comb had his procedure and was able to document his strip excision. Note the date on the newspaper for confirmation that this is the strip taken from the poster Comb.

In this collage you can see the width measured at 3 cm. after tumescence. Without tumescence it would have been about 2.5 cm.

833107112_spst.JPG

The scalp is under natural tension to begin with the donor strip will actually constrict once tension is relieved following removal. You'll see in the second photo that the strip reduced to about 2.2 to 2.3 cm in width. We routinely excise the strip in multiple sections which correspond to the changing scalp tensions. This will mean some segments will be wider than others. Other clinics will utilize a double bladed scalpel with a fixed width between the blades. This will mean that the maximum width of the strip will be determined by the area of highest tension limiting the maximum size of the donor harvest.

You can see the differences in various sections of scalp tissue. In some sections after removal the strip is still almost an inch wide.

With the average width being about 2.5cm and the length at 29cm the calculated average density would have been approximately 74.5 FU per cm2. This is not unusual for a patient with red hair (usually less dense).

I hope this helps some of you to understand how we operate. We absolutely do have donor strip harvesting techniques that are unique to our clinic and these allow us to do what we do - which is to get you closer to your goals in one session.

spst.thumb.JPG.cc76beb0eef2005cabf32b62146ffb2b.JPG

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Joe,

Now that you've posted the above, I realize that when I saw the widest part of the strip harvested, it was actually only 2.5 cm as shown in the photos. I think it was the discussion I had with Dr. Hasson about the donor tissue post-tumescence that made me recall the 3cm number.

Thanks for the detailed photos.

Bill

hairthere,

Hair restoration tumescence is a state of temporary swelling and fattening of the skin created by injections of anesthetic fluid and epinephrine into the fat layer of the scalp.

Tumescence minimizes blood loss and can help the anesthesia last longer. It also makes it easier for doctors to harvest the donor strip without cutting hair follicles by making the skin firm and helps the doctor avoid damaging deep seated blood vessels.

Best wishes,

Bill

The majority of the scabs have fallen off and I am going to the clinic today to get the rest cleaned off. I am definitely gonna miss these hairs when they shed!

Eman, your result looks really impressive and at only 6 months you've got a lot to look forward!

Glocktop, Mane Attraction, I am planning to post pictures at least monthly for the forum to see.

Bill, I am not sure whether Greece can be considered local to Vancouver!

I am staying in Vancouver for two weeks until staple removal, but it was a looong trip! However it is a lot easier being close to the clinic post-op, and I would certainly recommend it, especially for the first transplant.

Haha, no, I flew to vancouver the day before surgery and I am flying out on the 14th, after the staples are removed.

My surgery had actually been scheduled in February with me leaving the day after, but I changed that in order to be able to stay for two weeks, and I am happy I did so.

Hello everyone, just a quick update from Vancouver airport as I am waiting to board my flight and arrived here quite early.

I had my staples taken out today at the clinic and received another haircut by Doug. Some of them hurt a bit, but only when surrounding hair was pulled. Overall it was a breeze.

Dr Hasson checked the area and said everything looked fine apart from a pimple on one of the staple holes, for which I was some more antibiotics for good measure.

The scar is visible after the haircut, but it's not really the scar, but more the hair underneath which has thinned a bit. Anyway it's not bad.

The hair looks good, it looks better to me that in the pictures. I have lost some, but it still looks good enough that I pretty much look like I have a buzzcut.

That's all for now, pictures are on my blog, now waiting is pretty much all I have to do!

comb,

Thanks for providing an update for us. Your transplanted hair looks beautiful, strategically placed and angled. It must be nice to have your staples out. I'm fighting each day to try to keep them in longer at Dr. Hasson's request. If I can make it to 3 weeks, I'll be happy!

You're going to have a nice head of hair when all grows in.

Best wishes,

Bill