One Year Anniversary - Blog Updated

Happy New Year guys! I know that there are lots of people here who have been waiting for an update on my progress and I want to take this opportunity to thank you all once again for all the support and advice. In some ways, this year has flown by but the past two months have seemed the longest. I'm glad that I took the time to step away from the forum and from my hair and concentrate on other things. It has definitely provided me with some perspective.

Today is the one year anniversary of my procedure. All the pics that I posted today were taken today. The first set was taken immediately after towel-drying and combing forward. The second and third sets were taken with a little thickening cream applied and then messing it up a bit.

I believe there has been some improvement in density over the past two months but not too much. It does seem like my hair has tamed down quite a bit. It is not as wiry or, as I like to say, 'bird nesty' as it used to be. The right side is still significantly thinner than the left.

Whatever the cause for my less than ideal results, I know that I'll need another procedure before being satisfied. I hope to be able to afford that within the next two years.

I'll be calling Dr. Alexander's office on Monday to schedule another follow up and will let everyone know what happens from here on out.

Hope you all had a great holiday season!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

TTP,

Was thinking about you a few days ago -- glad to hear you've been out n' about living life. You really have shown a remarkable attitude throughout all of this, and regardless of how your hair ever may look, that will be the most important thing.

I agree that it seems you've had a bit of thickening, and the most noticeable change has been an improvement in the overall look of the HT -- naturalness.

I thought you looked best in the straight on shots, styled, though any sort of top-down view clearly showed the density issues.

When you push your hair forward, and allow the native to blend and layer with the transplanted, it also looked pretty good from a density and coverage standpoint, especially from a top-down view.

I would try to have the best of both worlds:

When you styled your hairline up w/ the Samy and Dirt it really looked good, IMO, and showed a really nice cosmetic improvement. I'd try to keep that, but push the rest down and allow it to layer, like you did in the "non-styled" pics. You can still use the Samy throughout, followed by blowdrying, and it should help, just make sure to push the forward, like in the "non-styled" pics, utilizing the layering effect.

Good call on convening with Dr. Alexander again to get his final assessment on your situation.

It should be relatively easy to get a call on your yield, and use that as a springboard for moving on. Also, there is the issue your expectations perhaps not being entirely aligned with Dr. Alexander's recommendation; I've mentioned this in another post in your thread, and it could be worth bringing up.

All that said, you have made an improvement, and like any good HT, you haven't been left in a compromised position, in worse shape. Your hairline in the shots when styled showed actually a pretty *big* improvement from where you were pre-op, IMO.

If you go for a 2nd HT in the future I trust you'll get to where you want to be. Enjoy the new year, and your new hair -- it seems like as you continue to "master" the art of styling you'll reap even bigger cosmetic gains.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

TTP - I for one have been patiently waiting for your most recent post that has been delivered as promised in the New Year. Another great write up and documentation so commendations for that. Regarding the newest set of images at the one year mark. I would agree that the whole naturalness of your hair in general has improved and settled. Just like you have explained, pictures can tell a thousand stories, and sometimes, more like a thousand lies. You hair in the first group of pictures, when it is a little damp and combed forward, present the most pleasing image for myself. I think that these pictures look entirely natural, and your hair looks really quite good. In some of the other shots, with the hair styled, I believe that is when some of the density problems present themselves a little more obviously. However, you have still come a long way when comparing to the pre op pics.

Just like Thana, and yourself, I feel that a second HT, if you choose that path, would ultimately push you to where you would like to be. The first step toward this would be a final assesement with Dr Alexander, and some definate feedback and comments on the past 12 months.

TTP, I always enjoy your well presented and honest write ups, like many others for sure. Its unfortuante that your results havent reached expectations, however, with your great attitude and level head, you can reach your goal. Good luck!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

I think Dr. Alexander should give you some money back. He is a really good doc but I would be hesitant to let him touch my head again knowing these could be the results again.

I would insist he puts money toward a new surgery for you, whether that be performed by him, or someone like H&W or SMG. Just my two cents...

TTP-I think you have been a tremendously patient patient. The last thing I would want anyone to do as I continue posting my results is to sugarcoat their opinions. So out of respect for you and how well you have handled the last year I won't do that now.

I'm going to post my honest opinion and then stay out of this thread because it's too easy to get into drawn out debates about what is and what is not a successful result.

I would not be happy with this result. I think the overhead photo clearly shows how thin your HT is and when I compare it to your before photos, while there is clearly a difference, I do not find it cosmetically significant enough for the time and money spent.

You definitely need another HT to have your hair look cosmetically significant in appearance and styling ability. I believe Dr. Alexander is one of the top HT doctors in the world right now and hopefully he will offer you some type of discount on a future surgery.

Best of luck in whatever you decide and thanks for keeping such a detailed record of your progress.

In all honesty, i have been looking at your pre op pics and after pics and for the amount of grafts put in im not sure it would be any better with someone else. Your pre op pics of your hairline is pretty bare and depending on your hair calibre and density it will def effect the kind of coverage you get. i think that area you need between 3500 to 4000.

Lots of good input here...

Thana - I know exactly what you mean about the best of both worlds. I have styled my hair successfully in the way that you described and it doesn't look bad that way. Some days it seems to fall just so and others I can't do a thing with it.

Raphael - thank you for the positive words. All along I've tried to present an honest and straightforward account of my experience with the sole intention of giving back to this community and not placing blame.

Abedogg - Thanks! You're right, it's not ideal but I am better off than I was last year. Of course, there is a huge difference between and improvement and a cosmetically acceptable result but I'm doing the best I can with it for now.

hdude46 - When I'm wronged I feel that I'm very good at standing up for what I deserve but, in this case, I don't think a refund would be appropriate only because we are all told before the scalpel touches our heads that there are a million variables and results can't be guaranteed. In my case the only issue is the yield. In every other aspect it was a success. While I've gone out of my way to not lay blame, I am just as open to the possibility that something went wrong in Dr. Alexander's office that day as I am willing to believe that it is simply a result of my physiology. From what little Dr. Alexander has said on the subject, I think that he has already determined that this is a result of my physiology and not any other variable that he or his staff was in control of. Of course he feels that way, he has had many successful results posted here and he is one of the top in his field but the truth is that there is no way to ever know what went wrong. In the end, the doctor can always cite the mysterious X factor.

Phil - Thank you. I appreciate your candor and I agree completely. I can't say I'm satisfied with the result. I was expecting more and if I could afford it, I'd already be planning number 2. I hope to have a better idea about my next move after speaking to Dr. Alexander.

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

Anouar: I hear ya. You are not the first to express that opinion and, to be honest, I really don't know anymore what a reasonable expectation is for the number of grafts I got vs. the area covered. What I can say is that my expectations came directly from Dr. Alexander and at my 10 month follow-up, he himself stated that the area was transplanted at a greater density than what had grown. I know he was expecting more and therefore, I was expecting more.

I know I'm repeating myself and I apologize but I was told that I should expect an excellent result by the 7th month based on the great quality of my hair and scalp. One of the examples that he showed me from his work was that of osidekid. Here is the link to his blog. http://www.hairtransplantnetwo...e-page.asp?WebID=737. Yes, he had more in the frontal third to start with and Dr. Alexander pointed that out but I was told that I could expect a similar result and I really think that was a reasonable expectation.

Another example of Dr. Alexander's work that I really liked and specifically asked him about was this one. http://www.hairtransplantnetwo...ID=583&PatientID=685. I liked the way it was styled and asked if I could expect something similar and he said I could. Funny now that I look at it I realize how much more hair he had being only a class 2 and it seems absurd even considering I got about 700 more grafts than he did.

So, finally, let me repeat one more thing that I've said many times. I did not arrive at the 2500 graft solution. Nor did I ask Dr. Alexander how many I could get for a given price. I asked him how many he felt I needed in order to get a desirable result and he said 2500. At the time, had he said 3500 or even 4000, I most likely would have gone ahead with it so I don't see how he would have benefitted from suggesting a number of grafts that he believed would not yield an acceptable result and risk having an unsatisfied patient. He's been at this a long time and has a great rep and I believe without a doubt that he felt that 2500 was sufficient and I would be happy with it. Clearly, something went wrong and many of my grafts did not grow and that's been my focus.

Dr. Alexander says I have about 5000 grafts left in reserve and good laxity so I know I can dedicate a few more to building up the frontal third. It's just a question of $$ at this point.

TakingthePlunge,

Thanks for going the distance and sharing your results one year post-op. While it's definiately thinner in appearance looking down, your hair definitely looks better, especially from the front.

As to growth yield, I would have expected more density if yield was optimal. As others have pointed out, an in person consult with Dr. Alexander is the best next step you can take. I hope you'll share how the consultation goes and the plan of action for moving forward after consulting with him. I trust Dr. Alexander will do what's fair and his best to get you the results you ultimately want.

Best wishes and happy new year!

Bill

TTP,

Thanks for posting your photos. I had a hair transplant with less than stellar results, so I can relate to what you are going through.

I would not discount the lower than expected yield to your physiology. THere are many variables in cutting, handling and placing. If you feel that you got less than 70% yield from Alexander, then I would go to another doctor who may have a better process for you hair type.

You should try to take some close up photos of the graft sites to see what % grew. Check out my blog.

I would say that your hair combed up has more density and looks better than mine combed up. I think your hairline design is very good.

Emperor,

It seems like you and I have similar density issues. Lots of people will point out that you look better now than you did before. Sure you do but that is of little importance if you are not happy. There seems to be a few people out there that long to have just a little extra fuzz on their heads and deem that to be a vast improvement and I think that's great for them if it makes them happy. Some of us desire a little more. I think most of us have reasonable expectations. We don't expect the hairline of a Bill Clinton but maybe Desi Arnaz is reasonable. I don't know. My point is that I believe most of us are willing to compromise and find a happy medium. A balance between coverage and density that offers an aesthetically pleasing result. I think I read all of your remarks on your blog and I didn't see you placing blame on Dr. Wong. Just speculating (as I have) as to why you may have had such a poor result and isn't that exactly what these blogs are for?

We are very lucky to be in the Internet age and to have valuable communities such as ours to communicate with each other. I can remember back in the early 90's going to LA for a consultation with Bosley. At that time all we had to go by were their infomercials. There was no way to assess a doctor, share results with other patients or compare fees and I would venture to guess that many doctors (even the best ones) are not happy about the fact that we do that today. It saddles them with a degree of accountability that they've never had to deal with before.

I believe in hair transplantation. I believe that I can achieve a desirable result that I will be happy with eventually (given enough $$) but I also believe that both of us could have had and probably should have had better density the first time around than what we ended up with. Why didn't we? Of course no one can answer that question. That's the risk we take.

Do I look better now than I did before? Do you? I guess but, since we're still not pleased with how we look does it matter?

I would like to try calculating my percentage of growth if I can find someone to help with the pics. I haven't told too many people about my HT.

Sorry to see that your results did not meet your expectations. I feel your paim!

TTP,

Having spoken with H&W, there are a number of factors that contribute to my low frontal density and not being fully satisfied.

There are physical factors, things like hair quality and yield, and there are also other factors like aesthetics and the expectations that are set prior to surgery. All these things work together to determine if you will be happy. When you post your photos online, you get objective feedback from others which helps put things in perspective.

In your case, with your hair quality, I think 2500 grafts should have been less see through. The hairline design looks good to me, I think you may have had a problem with yield. My camera has an autofocus and when I put it very close, it will take high detail photos. You could mark of areas on your scalp and take photos to show how much hair is growing and see if there is a yield problem. Of course it could also be that the area is large, and your hair quality is not that great.. Hard to say. I think it is an important question to answer because if yield is the primary problem, you might consider another doctor. Getting 1 hair for every 2 planted is a bad idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the latest, fellas:

I saw Dr. Alexander yesterday for my one year follow-up. Going into it I wasn't really sure what to expect or even what I wanted to do. Over the past year the members of this forum have provided me with a wealth of advice, varying and sometimes wildly conflicting perspectives and, most of all, support. I've listened carefully and taken all of it into consideration. I'm someone who appreciates hearing everyone's views because I feel that, often, the answer lies in a synthesis of these thoughts.

That being said, Dr. Alexander has offered to take care of me and I'm happy with the terms so I've decided to proceed with HT #2 in April. We are waiting three months in order to give the remaining, fine, light hairs an opportunity to mature. In the past two months I have seen a noticeable improvement in hair quality and some improvement in density so hopefully we'll get a little more in that time.

While the focus of our meeting was assessing yield in the transplanted area, I had to bring up another, unrelated aspect of my HT that has been bothering me. While the hairline design is 100% natural in appearance, it has always been too conservative for me. I know this is a hotly debated topic but, in truth, I had always wanted it to be a bit lower. At my fist consultation, Dr. Alexander was very firm on its placement and I was a little apprehensive but he assured me I would be pleased with it so I opted to go with his instincts but it's been nagging at me ever since. I feel like my hairline crosses the line between mature and receding and only needs to be lowered a bit. To make a long story short, Dr. Alexander drew a new, lower (but still in the realm of mature) hairline on me and I could have cried. It was exactly what I've been envisioning and he said that it's doable so I'm very excited at this point. He will be reinforcing the density in the transplanted area and lowering my hairline in number 2.

I know that everyone is going to be curious about the specifics regarding the terms of my second HT but I'd prefer not to discuss that. I'm very happy with his offer and excited about moving forward and I know that some members will have very strong opinions about it and I don't want to start second-guessing myself. Of course, I will be documenting my progress again every step of the way.

Here we go again??¦

Plunge,

Alright, that's good to hear. I believe round 2 will most likely do the trick. Also, the post-op doldrums won't be as bad the second time around because you already have some transplanted hair in the region. I can attest to this. Will you be shaving for the procedure? And how many grafts are you aiming for this time around?

All the best Plunge! Your hair will look better.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Hey aaron,

We're shooting for 1500. I do plan to buzz beforehand but not sure how short at this point. I figure I'll ask Dr. A his preference when the time comes. I don't mind doing that because I work from home and rarely have to see my coworkers. Hopefully there won't be too much shock loss and my hair will grow in to mask the redness a bit.

Not looking forward to going under the knife again so soon and, financially speaking, I practically have to consult an accountant before buying a hamburger these days but I know I need to get it behind me and I think this one will do the trick.

Thanks for the support!

TakingthePlunge,

Thanks for providing this community with an update on your situation.

It's your right not to discuss the terms you and Dr. Alexander agreed upon. That said, I'm pleased that you are happy with his offer and will be working with him to meet your hair restoration goals. You have a couple of months to give those remaining fine hairs a chance to mature and prepare. You may want to start getting ready by doing scalp exercises now.

All the best for getting the head of hair you ultimately want and deserve,

Bill

ttp,although i gather you are not entirely satisfied at this point,your latest pictures look good.

i know photos dont tell the whole story but hopefully a year down the line you will be happy.

one thing you should be happy about is your temple points,man i would kill for them! icon_biggrin.gif

good luck.

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

Hey thanks balody! I just checked out your blog. Quite an amazing transformation you've made!

I have definitely noticed an improvement from months 10 to 12 and I think I may have a little more yet to come. I guess I'm the mythical "slow grower." I do want a slightly lower hairline and a bit more density so I think #2 will do the trick.

Huge congratulations on your next step of your HT "journey". Its great that you and the Dr are actively working together to reach your goal. I believe that you have done the right thing here. Are you entirely happy this time round with the graft count? Not just what has been recommended, does this number feel right to you?

I for one am looking forward to following your second HT and I genuinley hope things work out for you this time around. I wish you the best of luck!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Thanks Raphael!

I do feel good about the number of grafts. 1500 to improve the density in the transplanted area and lower my hairline a bit seems reasonable. That will bring the total number of grafts harvested to 4000 which is what most agree is standard for my degree of hair loss. Dr. Alexander estimates that I've got about 5000 left right now so that'll leave me a little in reserve for the day I need crown work.

Thanks again for the support!

TTP I think you should bump this number up. To lower your hairline and also thicken up the entire area and get the kind of result you have been talking about will require more than 1500. I think at least 2500 more to ensure your desired result.

Why go through ALL of this again and only get what would appear to be the bare minimum amount of grafts you need to approach an acceptable outcome?

Obviously you will do what you feel is best but I just felt like I couldn't sit here and not give you this input.